are short workouts better then longer workouts??

mrsw510
mrsw510 Posts: 169
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I generally work out for 60-90 minutes and have been losing 1-2 lbs a week (I know, this is normal and healthy and I am happy with it). However for a few days I wasn't feeling well so I was only working out 30-45 minutes. I was still eating that same as normal but I lost weight MUCH faster. Is it better to do shorter workouts??

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    maybe you wern't eating enough for how much you were burning in your longer workouts. or were your short workouts more intense?
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    they actually say that the best way to work out is at LEAST 3 30 minute workouts a week. I dunno, i see more results if i work out everyday 45 minutes each time. if i dont work out at all but still continue to eat the way that i do ( 1270 cals a day) i actually gain if i dont work out. its bizarre how my body is.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I aim for 30 minutes of high intensity for most of my workouts, be it running or circuit training. At least one day a week I will double up on workouts for a total of 60 minutes, but that is normally as long as my workouts go. I've been making pretty steady 1lb/week progress (which I'm quite happy about considering that I am so close to my goal weight).

Long workouts can be necessary when training for an event, if you are a serious athlete, or if you really just genuinely enjoy it. However, I am a believer in "less is more" when it comes to working out for fat loss (and "more is more" when it comes to calorie intake :happy: ), so long as you make that time really count.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    What type of workouts are you doing? In terms of cardio, I've always felt it's better to do shorter workouts with bursts of intensity vs. longer steady-state workouts.

Like, when I'm walking, I'll add in some short sprints. Same with biking - intervals of steady pace vs. fast pace vs. hill climb, etc. It allows for a more intense workout in a shorter time span. The same can be applied to weightlifting. Heavier weights, fewer reps, shorter workout...

Here's a good article on the scientific aspect of interval vs. steady state training for reference:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/Intervals.htm
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    maybe you wern't eating enough for how much you were burning in your longer workouts. or were your short workouts more intense?

NO, the shorter ones weren't more intense. Sam intensity just shorter. I suppose its possible that I wasn't eating enough calories for the long ones though.
This discussion has been closed.