How to log exercise calories when grooming cats?

Options
SRH7
SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
I have nine long-haired cats that I love dearly and they love nothing more than to be groomed.

The thing is, I spend two hours a day grooming them and always feel exhausted when I finish. My arms ache and I usually break out into a bit of a sweat.

I see that other people log things like food preparation as exercise, can I log grooming my cats as exercise? If so, how many calories do you think it burns?

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It depends how feisty they are. Do you have to climb curtains to catch them? :huh:
  • SRH7
    Options
    It depends how feisty they are. Do you have to climb curtains to catch them? :huh:

Two of them are fairly placid but the other seven won't sit still. I was thinking the actual action of moving my arms while doing the grooming would burn calories?

Would it also count as lifting weights/strength training as I'm sure my muscles are getting bigger while doing it?
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Happy April Fools day to you too lol
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Lol wink wink

Log as strength training .
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Why would you do that every single day? I groom my semi-long hair ragdoll 1-2 times/week and her fur looks great.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Why don't you shave them. Cats look so great with all their fur shaved off.
  • SRH7
    Options
    Lol wink wink

Log as strength training .

Thanks for this :flowerforyou:
  • SRH7
    Options
    Why would you do that every single day? I groom my semi-long hair ragdoll 1-2 times/week and her fur looks great.
    They just love it so much! They jump up and down on me and nudge their grooming brush towards me until I give in.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    Everytime i pick up my dog's turds i am going to do it as a squat and then log this. My rottie always does 3 poos per walk. Then i pick up the poos on the garden, i have 3 dogs , so it will be a good few squats.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    Why don't you shave them. Cats look so great with all their fur shaved off.

Lol I see what you did there
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    April fools
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm on TDEE -20% so only log as 1 calorie maybe compare it to something that gets you equally out of breath?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    People need to remember to eat back extra calories when they give blood, so if your cats rip you up while being brushed remember to eat back your bleeding cals. Otherwise count it as low impact strength/resistance training. Holding them down and brushing gets you both tensing AND releasing.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    They just love it so much! They jump up and down on me and nudge their grooming brush towards me until I give in.

I get it now, you just can't say NO to your furballs <3
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I'd log the grooming itself a strength training and the chasing cats around at heavy housework.

I'm glad mine is short-haired and just needs to lick herself.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Happy April Fools day to you too lol

Was thinking the same. This can't be real. If so: where do you get the time??? I need to get me a job like yours!
  • cynd56
    cynd56 Posts: 2
    Options
    Time how long it takes for each cat. Total it. Divide it into minutes. Then multiply the total minutes by 8. That's it. I got that off a website and use it for my cardios, including climbing up and down stairs. Works for me.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Time how long it takes for each cat. Total it. Divide it into minutes. Then multiply the total minutes by 8. That's it. I got that off a website and use it for my cardios, including climbing up and down stairs. Works for me.

That's a great idea. :flowerforyou:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Why not wear an Hrm while doing it? (grooming the cats that is)