Possibly calcium deficient?

Options
Iron_Feline
Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
Hi

Ok so this is a weird question but I'd thought I'd ask.

I've started taking calcium suppliments and one of my cats goes mental when I take them, she comes running over to me and tries to knock it out of my hand. The few times she has managed it she licks the tablet and even took a swipe at me the other day when I tried to get it back.

Is there a reason she trys to take them? She never bothers if its the cod liver oil tablet and my other cat pays no attention at all.

Should I be worried and take her to the vets to get check out? Can cats even be calcium deficent?

Edit: sorry for any spelling mistakes - I can't spell check on my phone for some reason.

Replies

• Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It sounds unlikely but animals do have some very strange talents. My cocker spaniel sometimes goes up to other dogs and sniffs particular parts of their body then sit beside them wagging his tail. Each time the dog owner has then told us that there is an injury or some other problem with that part of the body. Funnily enough I'm going to a talk next week about medical detection dogs- they tell their owners when they can smell that they are going to have a seizure etc.

You obviously know your cats very well so, even if it just gives you peace of mind I'd check it out. Or, maybe he's telling you that you don't need them!!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    What do her macros look like?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    My cats regularly tell me what I should and should not be eating. They have a better sense of smell and danger than I do. The other day, Oreo knocked my first bite of pork tenderloin out of my hand that I was just beginning to eat so I took it as a sign and didn't eat it. My husband, against my warning, did and he ended up getting sick because I had undercooked the pork. He was miserable, but I made sure he knew that he should have listened to Oreo's advice. If your cat is doing this, it obviously has your best interest at heart. Good Luck!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    You know, there are dogs that can smell cancer, maybe the pills are bad and your cat can tell? You never know!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Thanks guys - I did buy cheap tablets so maybe that is it.

Do you think I should take her to the vets just in case?
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    To be honest you would see if there was anything wrong with her especially as you're so in tune with them. I think it's more likely she's telling you not to take them. But, if you're still worried then a trip to the vet will give you peace of mind.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    To be honest you would see if there was anything wrong with her especially as you're so in tune with them. I think it's more likely she's telling you not to take them. But, if you're still worried then a trip to the vet will give you peace of mind.

Thanks for the advice :flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your cat knows that her diet is lacking something.

Perhaps try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Essentials-Natural-Seaweed-Calcium/dp/B0002AAO2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364823672&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+calcium+supplements

Bonus points for the fact that they are from seaweed, so it's safe for vegan cats!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Does your kitty drink cow's milk? I've heard it can actually leach the calcium from your bones.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Does your kitty drink cow's milk? I've heard it can actually leach the calcium from your bones.

Yea, I read that somewhere. Maybe try almond milk.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Almond milk is a lot more natural anyway. Cow's milk is only for baby cows.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Soy milk - make sure if has added calcium, though
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options

Almond milk is a lot more natural anyway. Cow's milk is only for baby cows.

And it is especially good for making baby cows fat.

OP, five second rule on that calcium tablet. Rinse it off and it's good to go.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

But I thought soy was really bad for you?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I've also read that cats are allergic to soy. I still think almond milk is the most natural.