Need help from those who have a heart rate monitor...

NewBeginning2010
NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I want to invest in one.....yes i dont want to spend 200 dollars i was told that the polar f60 i believe it was is good but its up there in price. I am going to be taking alot of classes such as kick boxing and zumba.....does anyone own a heart rate monitor if so and you love it and its accurate:

1) what brand and model?
2) how much?
3) where did you buy it?
4) is it watch? chest strap or both?

Replies

• emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    wow I just bought one today at Walmart, a watch one not sure about it yet, still in package but paid $27. Its a S7-function by Sportline. Will find out tomorrow if its any good, hope so and it should serve the purpose.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,031 Member
    I got a Polar F4, and from what I've learned since then, I sort of wish I'd gotten the F6 instead. You can go to froogle.com and search for the best price. Hope that helps!
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    The Polar F6 is $84 at Amazon right now. It's the one I have and I am SO GLAD I put a little extra money into it. I got mine at Sears for $80. I'm not sure if they still have the same deal going on but it wouldn't hurt to take a look.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    I have a Polar F7. I LOVE IT!! Worth every penny I spent.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    I have the Polar F6 and I love it. I got it for $90 off of Amazon with free shipping. It has a chest strap along with the "watch" you wear. And it's PINK! :flowerforyou:
    Well worth it.
  • firmbug
    firmbug Posts: 57 Member
    I have a mio, you can find them at walmart, or the Academy.

I love it and have been using mine for several years. What I love about this hrm is there is no awkward strap to deal with. It's all self contained in a watch! There are two types of models, I have the simplest, which I use to just track my heart rate, and total calories, and amount of time worked out! I never work out without it! It's a great investment at a great price, and I am still working on the same original battery! I purchased this watch in 2004! Still working great.

My husband bought me the latest and greatest mio as a gift, this one keeps track of cals in, workout cals burned, heart rate, duration etc, but I keep going back to my original 2004 model, I love the simplicity and ease of it. The new one just has too much crap on it, that I don't really need.

I would highly recommend this one, for under $30.00, I really think you will enjoy this one!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Polar is one of the best, and a chest strap is a MUST for accuracy in calorie counting.

I have the F4 and like Jill said, I also wish I went for the F6 or better, because I paid 80 for the F4 and the F6 isn't much more, or cheaper if you know where to look...
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I think I was the one who recommended the FT60 ;) It is definitely costly. Stick with Polar and I would say the F6 (which I believe is now the F7) is probably the one to get for around $100.

Good luck!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    the calories burned per minute vary greatly depending on your current heart rate, therefore a chest strap is most accurate because it updates itself in real time.

If you DON'T have a chest strap, you technically have to touch the thing every minute to be accurate. If you touch it when you are elevated and burning 12 calories a minute, then slow down a bit and don't re-touch it, it will be calculating your burn based on your last touch, at 12 calories per minute, when you might only be burning 6 per minute for a while, for example.

basically..GET A CHEST STRAP or you may end up cheating yourself, eating back exercise calories you didn't earn, and sabotaging yourself.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I heard that the Polar F11 is just as good as the F6 but you don't have to send the strap back to the factory to have its battery replaced. Is that still true or did they modify the F6 to do the same, and then call it the F7?
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    I chose a polar f6 after I read all the reviews on amazon.com and haven't looked back. I'd rather make the investment ip front Han have to keep returning one I don't like. Get on amazon.com and look up hems and see the reviews. They are worth reading!
This discussion has been closed.