HELP! Gained 6lbs in less than 12 hours.

Options

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I beat you! I gained 8 yesterday from am to pm :wink:
    Still up 5 today but I know it will be gone soon enough. I always think weight fluctuations are interesting (nerd) but if it bothers you, weigh weekly/monthly/whatever and especially don't weigh in more than once in a day. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Seriously...you do know that your body has natural fluctuations right? You have water retention/release...waste, etc. Not to mention food and liquid have weight as well. I can easily fluctuate 2-5 Lbs day to day...I have know idea what my fluctuations are throughout the day because weighing yourself multiple times per day is just obsessive and unproductive.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Your body weight naturally changes throughout the day.

Don't weigh yourself so often if you are going to freak out over it.

Food you ate, drinks you drank, sodium, water retention, hormones, etc will cause your weight to change.

If you can't handle the changes and get freaked out over them, don't weigh so often.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    No you did not gain 6lbs in 12 hours. There are 3,500 calories in 1 lb....So, unless you consumed 21,000 calories ( 3,500 x 6 ,) then you most certainly did not really gain 6lbs in 12 hours.

The weight you're seeing is water retention and the weight of a full belly.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I weighed myself because I was curious to see what the damage was from the meal. I knew I would have gained some, but seeing 6lbs freaked me out. I feel better now from readings the responses that it is probably just water retention and waste.

I think there was a lot more sodium than I am used to, and I did drink diet coke as well so that is probably what did it. I drank a lot of water last night after the meal and will be drinking a lot of water today as well. I'll weigh myself tomorrow (since that is my weekly weigh in day) and let you know if I went back down.

Thanks again!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Because the food, and water you put in your body actually weighs something as well. I never under stood why people don't konw this. The stuff you ate, and drank hasn't even had enough time to be in your body for it to be water retention. Also it if is 6lbs you either drank close to a gallon of fluids in that time period as well, or ate a lot more that you are saying that you ate.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It's April the first, lots of strange things are happening today, weigh yourself tomorrow, it will be OK then.

lol
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have gained 8 lbs in a day before. Usually it takes about two days to go back down for me.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Even if you didn't have a free day and Easter dinner, you would still be up a couple pounds at the end of a day.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Options
    Because the food, and water you put in your body actually weighs something as well. I never under stood why people don't konw this. The stuff you ate, and drank hasn't even had enough time to be in your body for it to be water retention. Also it if is 6lbs you either drank close to a gallon of fluids in that time period as well, or ate a lot more that you are saying that you ate.

I know that food and water weighs something! I am not an idiot. The reason I asked the question is because I didn't eat 6 pounds of food. And I think it unlikely that I drank a gallon of water, but even if I did drink a gallon during that time period, I was going to restroom as well during that time. I don't know if you meant it to be, but I found your comment to be kind of rude and not helpful.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

I know that food and water weighs something! I am not an idiot. The reason I asked the question is because I didn't eat 6 pounds of food. And I think it unlikely that I drank a gallon of water, but even if I did drink a gallon during that time period, I was going to restroom as well during that time. I don't know if you meant it to be, but I found your comment to be kind of rude and not helpful.

I could see how it would come off that way, because it is common sense that if you eat food, and drink fluids you are going to gain weight, and if you were going to the bathroom quite a bit, well then you ate and drank a lot more than you are saying you did. The thing is, the only way you are going to gain 6lbs in that time period is if you ate and drank more than 6lbs worth of food and drink, your body isn't going to magically hold on to water you didn't put into it.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Options

I could see how it would come off that way, because it is common sense that if you eat food, and drink fluids you are going to gain weight, and if you were going to the bathroom quite a bit, well then you ate and drank a lot more than you are saying you did. The thing is, the only way you are going to gain 6lbs in that time period is if you ate and drank more than 6lbs worth of food and drink, your body isn't going to magically hold on to water you didn't put into it.

That does make sense. I must have drank a lot more water and soda than I realized. Sorry for being overly sensitive.
  • chezzielou1984
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself every twelve hours? Once a week is more than enough.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Like so many have said, it's water weight from Sodium.

I picked up a full 4 lbs in one day also. Drink lots of water, be vigelant about sodium today and tomorrow and it will all be gone by Wednesday :drinker:

Sodium attracts water and even though it seems backwards, drinks MORE water will help.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Water weight, ham is very high in sodium, go low sodium today , take a few poop's LOL and it will be gone within a day , 2 max...
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Read this thread from this morning and you will see that you are not alone! Yummy sodium laden ham!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943562-post-easter-scale-horror-fess-up
  • hiiamamie
    hiiamamie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Weight yourself in a couple mornings after eating/drinking normally again - you'll get back to were you should be. Trust your measurements - not always the scale!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Tee her. I was going to blame the cat too!
  • GnomeLover1984
    Options
    Maybe you need a new scale?
  • Boocakes08
    Options
    <
    running to poop to lose 6 lbs!!!!