Extremely overweight member needing help

Options
Hi everyone,

I am needing some help, encouragement, guidance with my fitness and diet.

I am currently looking to loose a lot of weight about 70kgs, mainly for my own benefits but also for my doctor who is insistent that I get down to my BMI weight or he will refuse to treat me for any illness that may be obesity related if I was to occur any.

I have altered and now eat between 1500-1750 calories a day and exercising 3 times a week however the last couple of weeks I haven't lost anything and starting to become demotivated,

My exercise program is as follows:-

30 mins x-trainer at level 5 heart rate 150-160
30 mins treadmill at 5.6kph 2%incline keeping heart rate at about 145-150

2sets of 15reps of the following
Peck deck
Leg press
Chest press
Seated Row
Leg raise
Leg curl
Shoulder press
Lat pull down
Hip extension
Hip abductor
Bicep curl
Tricep dip

30 min treadmill 140-150bpm 5.6kpm 2%incline

Ab crunches
Back extension

My main aim is weight loss and need to lose the 70kgs, the fact my clothes are loose is a good sign but not showing much process on the Schlesinger have lost 11kgs so far

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

Replies

• debbied21999
    Options
    Looking at the amount of exercise that you're doing, you are losing fat but gaining muscle weight, which is good and I want to say "kudo's" to you and keep up the awesome work!!!:happy:
  • xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. The first couple of weeks are usually good for weight loss as you drop a lot of water weight. What are you eating?
  • vokesie
    vokesie Posts: 8
    Options
    Would it be best to stop the weights all together as the aim is weight loss not muscle gain

Thanks for your comments though
  • ThreeKeys_
    ThreeKeys_ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Nah dude, the aim is fat loss, not weight loss.

What you're doing is awesome.
  • vokesie
    Options
    Sorry but the aim is weight loss I have to get down to 70kgs which is the top end of my BMI this is what my dr has said so yes I agree fat loss is important but I do have to loose the weight too
  • ThreeKeys_
    Options
    If you lose 70kgs of fat and put on 20kgs of muscle you will be an enormous amount fitter and healthier than if you just lost 70kgs of fat.
  • vokesie
    Options
    And to some extent I totally agree with you but sadly it's my dr that has stated that if I don't get down to my target weight I won't be treated because of my weight and will be considered as a obesity related illness
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    And to some extent I totally agree with you but sadly it's my dr that has stated that if I don't get down to my target weight I won't be treated because of my weight and will be considered as a obesity related illness

If your doctor actually said this, find a new doctor.

Good luck on your journey.
  • vokesie
    Options
    Sadly This is the view of my dr, he is a believer of the BMI scale and every time I go in there he always mention my weight and what I need to lose to be "on Target" and then talks about how it would affect decisions if I ever needed surgery,
  • vokesie
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. The first couple of weeks are usually good for weight loss as you drop a lot of water weight. What are you eating?

Breakfast
    porridge 239cals
    Banana 161cals

Lunch
    Chicken sandwich 300 cals
    Apple 100cals

Dinner
    Filled pasta 400 cals
    Peas 75cals

Snacks of
    2 x apples
    Pepsi max
  • rmd135
    rmd135 Posts: 8
    Options
    You need to sit down and have a serious talk with your doctor. If he is focused only on BMI then he is missing something. Body Fat Indices are much more accurate in predicting obesity related problems. If you are losing fat but gaining muscle you are headed in the right direction. Muscle burns more calories and therefore the more you add the better it is for you. Look, for instance at body builders. Many weigh 250+ lbs but would not be considered obese because theer is little or no body fat. If your doctor isn't interested then perhaps it is time to look elsewhere.
  • vokesie
    Options
    Thank you RMD135, I have tried asking my Dr about the weight loss muscle gain, and each time he refers to the BMI he even used the well toned male who weighs 90kg and 5'7" tall could be considered and overweight and nearing obese,

I have shown my dr my fitness plan and diet, just took one look and handed me the British heart foundation diet sheet and told me to follow that,

I am just confused with it all, I thought I was on the right track and I haven't lost anything over the last few weeks
  • ThreeKeys_
    Options
    Seriously get a new doctor, yours sounds like an absolute tool who has little and no interest in their patients.
  • rmd135
    rmd135 Posts: 8
    Options
    If you have the option, I would consider another doctor. Or perhaps a good, licenced nutritionist. Ideally, a diabetic diet is a really good weight loss diet. It is one that is low in carbs and encourages lean proteins and fiber. It would be a good place to start. Good luck.
  • ThreeKeys_
    Options
    If you have the option, I would consider another doctor. Or perhaps a good, licenced nutritionist. Ideally, a diabetic diet is a really good weight loss diet. It is one that is low in carbs and encourages lean proteins and fiber. It would be a good place to start. Good luck.

He's in the UK so all he has to do is go and register with another GP which is very easy unless you live in a small village with only one and can't go to another place.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can cheer each other on, I have a lot to lose too (75-100lbs)!

I would STRONGLY encourage you to focus on measurements. In the last few months I've lost two inches around my waist AND gained a few pounds! I just think to myself... I don't care if the scale says I weigh 1,000 lbs as long as I am wearing a size small! :)
  • Cocobeancjr
    Options
    Hello,

One thing my trainer told me to do is mix it up so my body doesn't get use to my exercise routine. Every two months I change my routine. Simple - as if your doing biceps with free weight change to cables. Just a different way of doing the same exercise.

Go to BodyBuilding.com, then click on workouts, pick your muscle target and WaLa!!!!
    It gives you all kinds of different ways to work that muscle.

I count up weight when I do weights, but I know some count down. I start with light and with each circuit do a little heavier weight. Men are suppose to push heaviest weight on last circuit to muscle fatigue I guess. At least that's what all the body builders at my gym told me.

Also goes for cardio, you need to change that up too.

Remember eating is 80% of the battle. I still struggle with it but day by day it gets better and it will for you too. Just keep going and don't look back!!!!!
  • Cocobeancjr
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com

Click on workouts then exercises and last exercise guides. Sorry kinda hard to find if you don't know. :)

Also free to join
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Dont stop the work with weights. Building muscle will actually help you burn fat more effectively. Sounds like you are doing just great...hang in there!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost any weight in the last 3 weeks yet you are working out like you say you are then diet has to be the missing link. I looked at your diary and its not filled out. How do you know you are eating your calories goal if your not tracking and measuring it? You say you want to lose 70kg (150 ish lbs) so I would think that with just following a healthy eating plan alone you would be dropping weight.