Hello, this is my story...

Options
Hello, I joined myfitnesspal to help me lose the last 25 pounds needed to hit my final goal, and to help me maintain my weight at 190 pounds. This is my story...

I was miserable when I was large, but I would never admit it. I can remember looking at myself in the mirror thinking how wonderful it would be to just wake up one morning, physically fit. I avoided circumstances that would make me feel uncomfortable or that may cause me embarrassment.

Now I'm able to do anything I want! I maintain a low carbohydrate lifestyle and I do a variety of workouts for at least 2-hours per day, 6-days a week. Thanks to my new diet and plenty of exercise, I’m in great physical condition and I’m finally healthy. On October 13th of 2011 I weighed in at 352 lbs. A year later, I had my annual cardiology follow-up appointment and I weighed in at 235 lbs. In one year, I’ve lost 117 pounds and 18 inches off my waist, I’ve completely stopped smoking, and I’ve cut my blood sugar and cholesterol levels by more than half.

My road to better health began with a visit to my father in a nursing home September of 2011. Seeing his poor quality of life was a huge wake-up call for me, and on the return trip, I decided to become healthy. That week I stopped smoking and started walking. But when I walked, I experienced unbearable arm pain, which brought tears to my eyes and forced me to stop, and shortness of breath would leave me gasping for air. I made an appointment at the VA Medical Center for a checkup, where I weighed in at 352 pounds. I never exercised, and smoked 2½ packs-a-day for 30 years. I was in terrible physical condition.

I was informed that all of my levels were extremely high, and was diagnosed as being Super Morbidly Obese with Type II diabetes. My doctor thought my arm pain was due to nerve damage caused by high blood sugar. I was prescribed insulin and medications for blood pressure and cholesterol. I began a low-carbohydrate diet and I continued walking. My arm pain continued, and I still couldn’t get enough air. I posted about my experiences on Facebook, where friends commented that my symptoms might be cardio-related. I contacted my physician again and she scheduled me for a stress test, revealing an 80% blockage in my circumflex coronary artery and a stint was put in that afternoon. I was lucky in that I just fit inside the MRI tunnel, and on the table in the heart catheterization lab. I was released from the VA Medical Center on Thanksgiving Day.

Getting a stint was extremely scary for me, but only fueled my determination to get healthy. I was now getting plenty of oxygenated blood to my heart. I attended a Cardiac Rehab Program, and gradually strengthened my heart with a variety of exercises. I began posting on Facebook for accountability and encouragement. I also started taking ZUMBA classes after I read an article about a man that lost 100 pounds due to ZUMBA. I decided that I would lose more, and did just that.

As of now I've lost 145 pounds, 20" off my waist, and I no longer have sleep apnea!