Anyone else have rescue cats?

Options
quirkytizzy
quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
So three out of three of my babies were rescue cats. I look at them everyday and am amazed that others would have just given them away - they bring me so much joy and comfort in my life.

Where did you guys get your babies? If you have any pictures to share, please do! What's the story behind every cat that has come into your house???

This is a picture of a firefighter who resuscitated a kitty found in a fire that wasn't breathing. He took the cat back to the firehouse and the cat now lives there! Rescue kitties and people who help them convince me there is good in this world.

firefighter-cat-oxygen.jpg

Replies

• Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    One of my babies is a rescue.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I have a girl and boy cat. The girl is a rescue. The boy was a sick kitten I got from some people who didn't care on Craigslist.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    My kitty Gizmo was adopted from my friend's sister. Her cat had kittens and they needed homes.

My kitty link was adopted from a feral cat rescue program. He was found as an itty bitty kitten by an Ikea dumpster in NJ. He had a boo-boo tail and worms. Now he is my cuddlebug.

Link:
    edff44ea97f811e2a5d322000a1f90e5_7.jpg
    Gizmo:
    1b0d8b985d9511e2bf5322000a9f38c3_7.jpg
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    AWWW THOSE ARE SO CUTE! I can't believe people would just abandon their cats or not take care of them - they are so easy to love and just need to someone to care about them!

Gizmo, btw, is an awesome name for a cat. Kinda got the same fur colors, too!

Craigslist is a scary place - I see so many "for free" animals there. I just want to take all of them.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I have one that sort of adopted us. He kept showing up on our patio and apparently no one was looking for him or ever registerd his chip, so we took him in and love him daily!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think it is awesome what you are doing. My husband and I have been working with a cat rescue and placement agency for about five years now. It's very sad when you hear about baby kittens being left to fend for themselves, or a mommy cat gets loose and has babies in an abandoned building then gets found by her owner who doesn't want the kittens. We found this great agency located just south of Pyongyang willing to aid in the adoption and placement process. As of last week, we've placed some 3000 strays. We get photos from the new owners as the cats arrive, and it's so great to see the smiling faces of the children that the cats are going to help.

Here's a photo of the last litter we placed.

large-litter-of-kittens-aw-bff.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    <<< Rescued.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    24898_1234596356451_2283978_n_zpsb1db3e64.jpg

24898_1234605556681_3000726_n_zps29b83f77.jpg
    Checking out the new chickens while we were living on my parents farm
    24898_1234606876714_6055762_n_zpsa4296597.jpg

This is my baby. Her mother was killed somehow (I never got the full story) before her eyes even opened. My neighbor had her, and her sister. They couldn't keep them so I took them in. Having a newborn kitten is almost as hard as a newborn baby, but I swear to this day she thinks I'm her mother.

When they were about 3 months old my roommate left the door open when I wasn't home and they both got out. Her sister was run over by a car. When I came she ran under my feet, and I knew something was wrong. She actually walked me to where her sister was. :frown:

That was 5 years ago. She's the best cat I've ever had. She was the main constant in my life for a long time. Sometimes I think she rescued me.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My Sarek I recused when I was 15. He came from a direct adoption when a friend of mine got a kitten without asking her parents and was given the choice of "letting him go" or taking him to the shelter. He's been my baby ever since.

My sister's kitty Holly, I rescued. She was born in a litter of feral kittens and I went back and picked her up and brought her inside. We wound up catching all the kittens and the mother and finding homes for them all. It was glorious.

306175_4933490133788_1298661764_n.jpg
    The kitties bein' fatties! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There have been probably 30 cats in and out of my house since I was a kid, so telling all their stories would be a book! All but one were strays or pound kitties.

I have three now. Two were born into feral colonies behind where I used tobwork and one was born under my friend's house. She's still a kitten.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    We got a "senior" kitty from our local shelter and even though he was old when we got him, he lived with us for nearly 10 years. He was between 15-18 years when he finally passed away last March. Leo was such a good cat and he is still missed!

0425081747.jpg

Several months after Leo was gone, we went to the pound to get another "senior" kitty (the shelter has trouble adopting out older cats), but while there looking at the older cats, a younger one decided he wanted us. He kept following us around and plopping down at our feet to be petted. We were constantly stepping over him to see the other cats. After a short time, it was obvious who would be coming home with us. Mikey was a year old when we brought him home and he quickly became part of our family.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    decf7c6f-df63-4e53-989f-65fcca968159_zpsa6d66069.jpg

George: my 18 year old stroke survivor was from a litter who's mom was caught in a neuter and release program... Hawaiian royalty, he is. :smile:

IMGP2592_zps269a734c.jpg

Bilbo: yes we took him out of the dryer before running it again. LOL. Pound kitty.

IMGP2460_zps512cd156.jpg
    Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos: managed to climb up to our second floor balcony at 8 weeks old (approximate) 2 weeks before Halloween and adopted my husband.

And Ivan, looks just like Nya (and I don't have any images on Photobucket), is Nya's kitten (she escaped for two hours a couple of weeks before her appointment to get spayed. :noway: and just had the one surviving kitten as a result)

edit... resized photos. Sorry for the humoungousness.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Ours was adopted from a cat rescue. There weren't any details about where she came from or why se was rescued. She was only 9 months old but they were having a hard time finding a home since she wasn't a tiny baby anymore, but one look and I fell in love. She's been with us since October, and it's been great. Her name is Delilah.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

That was 5 years ago. She's the best cat I've ever had. She was the main constant in my life for a long time. Sometimes I think she rescued me.

I feel the same way about my cats. So often they have been the thread that keeps me connected to this planet.

I love seeing your stories and pictures! Not a lot of people I know IRL love cats as much as I do. So seeing this is really affirming!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about my cats. So often they have been the thread that keeps me connected to this planet.

I love seeing your stories and pictures! Not a lot of people I know IRL love cats as much as I do. So seeing this is really affirming!

I love animals in general, but there have only been a handful that I connected with like I do her. Most of the time I think I like animals a lot more than I do most people lol
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My only cat is a rescue. I never thought I was a cat person before I got her. She is a long haired Siamese mix. A little feisty but affectionate too. We just made her a cat tree yesterday and she loves it.

I'm not gonna lie, I am a dog person by choice. But at this time I can't afford one in terms of my free time or my moneys.

This is Shasta

kitteh_zpse5be60f3.jpg

ETA: I actually found myself taking video of her the other day when she was making love to my son's stuffed dog. Seriously grooming it and just LOVING this dog. It is hers now. I'll always remember the moment I fell in love with my son, and I feel similarly about her. She turned me into a cat person.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    My only cat is a rescue. I never thought I was a cat person before I got her. She is a long haired Siamese mix. A little feisty but affectionate too. We just made her a cat tree yesterday and she loves it.

I'm not gonna lie, I am a dog person by choice. But at this time I can't afford one in terms of my free time or my moneys.

This is Shasta

kitteh_zpse5be60f3.jpg

She is so pretty! Also long haired Siamese, I've not heard of them before. And cat trees are great. We have one and our cats love it, too. Yay for giving cats treats!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    2 of my kitties are pound cats. Another was a stray. :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Both of my kitties were adopted from a rescue at Petsmart.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options

This is Shasta

kitteh_zpse5be60f3.jpg

She is so pretty! Also long haired Siamese, I've not heard of them before. And cat trees are great. We have one and our cats love it, too. Yay for giving cats treats!

Me either. I'd never seen a Siamese with long hair. I'm sure its the "mix" part. I don't think she understands her long hair because we're constantly having to pull dingleberries out of her back-side hairs. :frown: