Fat new person and her first "run"! :)

kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started exercising/dieting last week, and I'm, um, a size 22 @ 5'6.

I've been walking daily for 30 minutes at around 3 MPH for the last 5 days.

Today, after I put off walking all day, I went for a walk. I RAN for the last 175 yards, and I estimate it only took me 30 seconds. Maybe it was slower...it seemed like I was going to die!! I was already walking at a pretty brisk pace at the end, so I just said, what the heck, it's dark, no one can see me! LOL

Now that may not be a lot to a lot of you, but it's a LOT to me. Can someone do the math on this for the MPH? I just don't think I'm doing it right.
175/yds/30 second=350 yds/60seconds
350 yds/minute=21000 yds/hour
21000 yards/1760 yards per mile= ~11.93MPH
12 MPH=5 minute mile?

Obviously my brain is starved of oxygen at the moment...this just can't be right. Granted I did feel like I was sprinting, but dang...and no WAY could I keep that pace up. Who knows, maybe I'll run a MINUTE next week!! LOL

And, I doubt my legs will be able to carry me to my computer in the morning...send responses by carrier pigeon please! I'll have the windows open. ;)

Replies

• :laugh: Thats awesome! Good job!:bigsmile:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    It's okay to be proud of yourself. The small victories keep us going. I think you're doing great.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    I just started running last week at the gym on the treadmill. I walk and I alternated jogging/running at 5mph for a minute to two then walk for 5 mins. I just was able to do it for 5 mins. Amazing and I get huge calorie burn and it keeps me motivated. I am 5'7 and 190 and my *kitten* feels like it is jiggling away, so i always use the farthest away tread that no one has to walk behind me..... I keep building and i feel so good running. KEEP IT UP!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Good job on the hard work. I just started running last night for the first time in almost 10 years and even at that I have never been a runner. However I thought that it would be fun to start doing it. It was hard but man did it feel good when I timed it and found that I had ran a mile in 11-12 min. I am hoping to improve this time as a keep going with it.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Thanks y'all.

I was so excited!! :):):) Small victories. I know myself well enough, that I need to have these moments of small victories as well as seeing some weight loss, to keep me motivated. Measurable changes to reinforce the changes I'm making in my life for eating and exercising.

Also, and you bigger gals will really know what I mean.....I need to prepare for it by wearing a better (sports) bra. No, no black eyes this time...but I was worried! LOL I doubt there will be any running tomorrow, but I'm going to try it every other day at least.

OH, plus I was either already getting endorphins or lack of oxygen! LOL

Chris
    1st day=April 28, 2010
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    And a good sports bra . . . makes ALL the difference!! I'm bigger at 190 lbs, 5'10" and size DD and I am willing to spend a chunk of money on great, no bounce, sports bras. I run about 15 - 20 miles a week and I couldn't do it without the support. :0) And, just a friendly reminder, you don't have to be tiny to jog. :0) I'm slow but I do the miles and I love it!!
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    And a good sports bra . . . makes ALL the difference!! I'm bigger at 190 lbs, 5'10" and size DD and I am willing to spend a chunk of money on great, no bounce, sports bras. I run about 15 - 20 miles a week and I couldn't do it without the support. :0) And, just a friendly reminder, you don't have to be tiny to jog. :0) I'm slow but I do the miles and I love it!!

Agreed. Ugh. I just started running and am hoping to run a half marathon in October. I'm starting out doing intervals (walk X minutes, run x min, walk, etc) and this weekend while running and seeing my reflection in the treadmill's tv screen all I could think was..."stupid boobs."
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    I have a really good sports bra that I wear and I still have to wear a regular bra under it (nursing mom). So I don't I feel like I going to hit myself in the face and that isn't just with running but most of the exercise videos that I do too. I can so relate to the feeling like you are going to give your self a black eye!:laugh:
  • scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    Wow that is so great! I love running, I am slow, but I don't care. It is great to be doing a workout that you feel good doing.

A good program is the couch to 5k, it is discussed a lot on the message boards. Also noted as "c25k" It was how I started back at running at around 200 pounds, and I could do it! I Shin splints have side lined me, but after a round of p90x I hope to start it again.

Keep up the good work!!

P.S. sometimes runners world magazine does reviews on good sports bras, so if you get into running, it would be a place to check out. As someone who has to wear 2 bras, I found their guide helpful.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Welcome and congratulations. :flowerforyou: There are some threads on here for C25K runners. You might want to check out those. I'm doing C25K myself and before I started I couldn't run 5 feet without being out of breath. Keep up the good work.

Here's one. I'll go back and get another. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/88702-c25k-everyone-welcome-just-starting-or-in-the-middle

Here's another one. These's are two I post to.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/85541-for-all-the-hopefull-wanna-be-runners-out-there-trying-t

There are other also. Have fun.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Victory is not always to the swift...but to those who keep moving!! Keep up the great work!!- Jill
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Now that may not be a lot to a lot of you, but it's a LOT to me. Can someone do the math on this for the MPH? I just don't think I'm doing it right.
    175/yds/30 second=350 yds/60seconds
    350 yds/minute=21000 yds/hour
    21000 yards/1760 yards per mile= ~11.93MPH
    12 MPH=5 minute mile?

That's a great job. I remember when I first started jogging.. I did 10-15 seconds at a time, then maybe 30 seconds, it gets better and you feel better knowing your increasing your jogging time.

I think the problem with your calculation was you didn't go 175 yards in 30 secs..
    Football field is 100 yards

World record for 400 yards is 43 seconds. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.