Tracking Cat Food for Fat Cat

Options
BurtHuttz
BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
Hi; I have a fat cat and I can't find "BLUE Wilderness™ Grain Free Indoor Cat Food" in the food database.

I gotta put him on a diet because he got big and lazy. I'm trying to track his calories and I think I have a pretty good guess at his TDEE which is about 400 calories per day (sedentary).

Any assistance would be reciprocal.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Hi; I have a fat cat and I can't find "BLUE Wilderness™ Grain Free Indoor Cat Food" in the food database.

I gotta put him on a diet because he got big and lazy. I'm trying to track his calories and I think I have a pretty good guess at his TDEE which is about 400 calories per day (sedentary).

Any assistance would be reciprocal.

Are you sure he's sedentary? Most people/cats underestimate their actual activity expenditure.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    There are no cat foods in the database because MFP is obviously catist. Shame on them for being discriminatory!
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i think your cat needs to try shakeology
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    DOn't feed it that processed crap. Just get it into the gym and some clean eating.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You could add your own entries. Be sure to record "net carbs" and subtract out the fiber. Fiber makes carbs magically disappear.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    ANSWERS:

My cat is definitely sedentary. He hasn't moved from his spot by the window in about three days. Hasn't touched the food I've put out either so it's probably starvation mode.

I can't afford shakeology and they don't even make meat shakes so I think it wouldn't work.

I would love to get the cat on clean eating but there's so much contradictory research out there and everyone has an opinion. I'm thinking of going vegan for him too and just that way I can log cucumbers.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You don't have to "track" it, just measure with each feeding.
  • The_Transforming_Journey
    Options
    Grumpy-cat12.jpg
  • heckenhocker
    heckenhocker Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ANSWERS:
    My cat is definitely sedentary. He hasn't moved from his spot by the window in about three days. Hasn't touched the food I've put out either so it's probably starvation mode.

hmmm, he didn't move for three days, and didn't eat for three days. Sure it's starvation mode.....or something a little more permanent? Is he curiously stiff?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Cats should be on a paleo only diet.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Go to your vet. Enough said.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You don't have to "track" it, just measure with each feeding.

Make sure you use a food scale. Measuring cups aren't accurate...
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Does he eat his exercise calories back?
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I took my cat in, he weighed 18 pounds, dr said put him on a 250 calorie diet....he said if you go online to whatever cat food brand you buy, their website will have it on there, he said its a little hard to find but its there
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In to see suggestions. Need halp for Jabba <---
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I took my cat in, he weighed 18 pounds, dr said put him on a 250 calorie diet....he said if you go online to whatever cat food brand you buy, their website will have it on there, he said its a little hard to find but its there

They should definitely have to post their calories on the package - just like people food.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    ANSWERS:

Sounds like he wants to try intermittent fasting.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Another poster said that catfood is in MFP's database. I haven't checked yet but I believe her. 0_o
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you considered gastric bypass? It might be the only way.