Can cats become lactose intolerant?

Options
WinnerVictorious
WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
Is almond milk a good substitute for lactose intolerant cats?

Replies

• Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I didn't think cats needed to drink milk at all?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I didn't think cats needed to drink milk at all?

they don't NEED to, but a bowl of cow's milk derails a cat's paleo diet faster than chocolate for a human.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why not see if your cat likes Almond milk? Mine prefers the vanilla flavored stuff. It's healthier and I don't have to worry about him gaining too much weight from drinking regular milk. Milk can make animals fat.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My cat has done better on rice milk, but I think almond should be okay.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Most cats are lactose intolerant. Gives them the runs. Our little female cat gained weight after we STOPPED giving her milk.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with a milking cat. I only give my cat pure cat's milk.
  • belligerent599
    Options
    Make sure the cat's milk you give your cat is RAW ONLY. Pasteurized cat milk is dead food and you shouldn't give it to your cat.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My cat it totally lactose intolerant. You don't what to know what happens if someone gives him regular milk.

I tried getting him to swallow those lactaid pills, but that resulted in a lot of scratches to my arms. We've settled on soy milk instead.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Enough with the jokes someone might take them seriously and hurt their poor cat lol
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    My cat it totally lactose intolerant. You don't what to know what happens if someone gives him regular milk.

I tried getting him to swallow those lactaid pills, but that resulted in a lot of scratches to my arms. We've settled on soy milk instead.

be careful! if you switch your cat to an all vegetarian diet, he'll end up walking around the house judging you.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Cats are slightly lactose intolerant when it comes to cow's milk.

edited for speeling.
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    My guy is not lactose intolerant, but he knows that milk is just something he wants not something he needs, just like people don't need chocolate but they still crave it. The rule in our house is that if Milo wants milk he most bring home chocolate.
  • Raeambi
    Raeambi Posts: 13
    Options
    Generally cats are lactose intolerant and shouldn't have dairy products. Unlike dogs, they are also carnivores so shouldn't be given plant materials etc. You should only give them water to drink.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Drinking milk from a different species is wrong mmmkay? So their lactose intolerance is probably a good thing.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    "Exactly how do you milk a cat Greg?"
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

edited for speeling.

Then why does our culture repeatedly show images of cats drinking milk?

Stereotypes have to start somewhere right? If cats didn't like and drink milk, then why do we, culturally, stereotype them as drinking it all the time?
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

edited for speeling.

Then why does our culture repeatedly show images of cats drinking milk?

Stereotypes have to start somewhere right? If cats didn't like and drink milk, then why do we, culturally, stereotype them as drinking it all the time?

i blame Madison Avenue.

lion_girl_milk1-e1329855246182.jpg
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Cat's don't need milk. If you are talking about kittens that are nursing they can use KMR (kitten milk replacement sold at petstores and walmart)
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try finding a stray cat that's just had a litter. As long as she's still nursing, maybe your cat will take more to feeding from her. Cat's can digest cat milk proteins so much more easily.
  • TLCorsini
    TLCorsini Posts: 78
    Options
    After the first year cats are not supposed to drink milk at all. It messes with their digestive system and makes them sick. If they are kittens, they have special milk for them at pet stores but after a year old, its time to switch to adult food and only water otherwise your kitty can throw up or will have runny stool