Help, my cat's skinny fat after dental surgery

Options
My poor cat had to have several of her teeth removed recently and as she couldn't eat much she's lost loads of weight. Sadly this means that instead of the sleek animal she once was she has now become skinny fat.

I'm not sure what to do, I've been trying to get her to jump to help her muscles grow, but I'm worries she's not getting enought protein. Should I mix some whey protein in with her food?

Please help

Replies

• Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I recommend protein powder, but not chocolate. Maybe vanilla or strawberry.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    tuna. lots of tuna.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    idk. I hear excess protein can make you fat (ter). I'm sure it's the same with cats.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    tuna. lots of tuna.

I second this. Why supplement when you can get pure protein in a tin?!! Besides, I don't know about you but cats don't tend to like vanilla or strawberry.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I recommend protein powder, but not chocolate. Maybe vanilla or strawberry.

Maybe tuna flavored protein powder?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Oddly my cat doesn't really like tuna and chicken - that's why I thought of the whey.

You don't think she might be a vegetarian cat do you?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. And put her on a bulk. Lots of peanut butter and protein powder.
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    Cat's shouldn't need to have any added protein in their diets if you feed your cat a Complete diet, if she has kidney problems then a high protein diet is not recommended - however in a perfectly healthy cat, a high protein diet does not harm the cat. Feeding human protein products would be a far too high amount for her. If you're seeking advice, please ring the vets, they can advise you a lot better, as they know your cat, her age etc.

Feeding the “Recommended” daily portions indicated on pet food labels will nearly always result in feeding more calories than the animal needs for an average day’s energy requirements. The carbohydrate excess, unneeded as fuel for metabolism or physical activity, gets converted to fat and stored in the cat’s fat reserves.

The odds are very high that if you feed the size and numbers of meals suggested on the pet food label’s feeding recommendations, the cat will end up overweight, however, not reading the charts and feeding what you feel like or what "looks right" in your cats bowl can also be a massive overestimate of what she needs.

Adjust the amount fed to the cat’s body character and physical activity. Encourage her to play and chase, you could let her outside (providing she's neutered, as you don't want her to become pregnant) and she will (probably) be quite active! Interactive play toys are great!

As a vet nurse, I would advise AGAINST protein powders, or anything like that. Just make sure she has a healthy diet, stick some tuna in it if you really want, and keep her active. I'd also advise dry food over wet food, otherwise you'll be paying for another dental procedure in a few years.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the answer:

2hx11yv.jpg
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy. YOUR CAT WILL NOT GET BULKY. If she wants the firm toned defined athletic look, then definitely heavy weights or weighted sleds or like a weight harness or a weighted collar or some plates on her tail is the way to go.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Cat's shouldn't need to have any added protein in their diets if you feed your cat a Complete diet, if she has kidney problems then a high protein diet is not recommended - however in a perfectly healthy cat, a high protein diet does not harm the cat. Feeding human protein products would be a far too high amount for her. If you're seeking advice, please ring the vets, they can advise you a lot better, as they know your cat, her age etc.

Feeding the “Recommended” daily portions indicated on pet food labels will nearly always result in feeding more calories than the animal needs for an average day’s energy requirements. The carbohydrate excess, unneeded as fuel for metabolism or physical activity, gets converted to fat and stored in the cat’s fat reserves.

The odds are very high that if you feed the size and numbers of meals suggested on the pet food label’s feeding recommendations, the cat will end up overweight, however, not reading the charts and feeding what you feel like or what "looks right" in your cats bowl can also be a massive overestimate of what she needs.

Adjust the amount fed to the cat’s body character and physical activity. Encourage her to play and chase, you could let her outside (providing she's neutered, as you don't want her to become pregnant) and she will (probably) be quite active! Interactive play toys are great!

As a vet nurse, I would advise AGAINST protein powders, or anything like that. Just make sure she has a healthy diet, stick some tuna in it if you really want, and keep her active. I'd also advise dry food over wet food, otherwise you'll be paying for another dental procedure in a few years.

I did not know this. This is actually very helpful advice as one of our cat's are overweight and we are trying to get her to trim down. Thank you!

Also I second the tuna. Good protein and the cat will probably love it!
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    Oddly my cat doesn't really like tuna and chicken - that's why I thought of the whey.

You don't think she might be a vegetarian cat do you?

There is no such thing as a vegetarian cat - they HAVE to have meat. They are strict obligate carnivores. They need Taurine in their diet, which comes from meat proteins. A deficiency will cause blindness and heart problems in cats.

The protein in dry food, which is often heavily plant-based, is not equal in quality to the protein in canned food, which is meat-based. The protein in dry food, therefore, earns a lower biological value score, but is better off for your cats teeth.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If your cat is having a difficult time staying lean and strong, you need to speak with your veterinarian, not ask a bunch of people on a HUMAN weight loss and fitness forum. Your veterinarian can recommend a suitable prescription diet that will help put your kitty back in balance.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    so.... no soy protein powders either?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Whey protein and sprints.

Also consider creatine supplementation
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Most definitely THIS! :flowerforyou:

Hopefully kitty is eating a good quality dry food, this will put bulk on.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    grumpy-cat-kitty-on-1st-april-all-fools-day.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If your cat is having a difficult time staying lean and strong, you need to speak with your veterinarian, not ask a bunch of people on a HUMAN weight loss and fitness forum. Your veterinarian can recommend a suitable prescription diet that will help put your kitty back in balance.

Qft. And cluelessness.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the answer:

2hx11yv.jpg

This^^