Pyramid sets

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I add these into the weightlifting mix every now and then, they can definitely add some intensity, variety and shake up the routine.

You can do this for any exercise, at a weight that is comfortable for you to complete the entire set of 5 with no rest with proper form.

I did a pyramid set for my biceps today, so i'll share how that went..adjust to suit your needs. Get three sets of dumbbells/barbells
whatever yiour poison, my heaviest set of dumbbells was 30lbs, then I had 20lbs and 15 lbs, here's how you would complete the pyramid, do your first set of curls with the 15lbs (or your lightest weight) push out 12 reps, immediately pick up your next heavy weight, mine were 20's push out 10 reps, move right onto the heavy guns, I'd like to see you push out 8, but will forgive you if you can only push 6..:wink: , immediately pick back up the 20's and do another 10, followed by the 15's for your last 12's...This is 1 set, no rest in between changing the weights, you rest after the circuit is complete..and guess what...you do it again, 3x's to be precise, you can change the movement though from a curl to a hammer curl, and even make the last set of 5's with a barbell if you were using dumbbells or vice versa. Remember slow and controlled on the way down, full extension of your arm,(which means straight arm) I like to do a 2 count on the way down and 1 to get back up again. and remember to breathe, so very important.

Replies

• KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Great.....I will give this a try this week.......THANK YOU :wink:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Nice! I've been wanting some other ways to work my arms. Thanks for this!
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    sounds great. Could you make this work with a band?
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    [/quote

If you can adjust the tension or your resistance to three different intensity levels then you could definitely give it a try...if you do, let me know how it turns out, It never crossed my mind to try it with bands.
  • vinjama
    vinjama Posts: 52
    [/quote

If you can adjust the tension or your resistance to three different intensity levels then you could definitely give it a try...if you do, let me know how it turns out, It never crossed my mind to try it with bands.

Yea, the way to do it.. with curls. I suppose you would have to sit down for the exercise on a bench/chair where you would execute the curl in between your legs with your elbow resting on your inner thigh and the band under your foot.

To increase tension, you would simply shorten the amount of band. For less resistance, increase the length of band. Only down side is that you don't know exactly how to calculate the tension in terms of pounds. The better alternative is to get 3 different resistance bands.

Hope that helps.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    thanks

I only have a set of little 5lbs weights at home but I have a couple bands. I will give it a try tonight if I can and let you guys know how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.