Vegan cat diet

Options
ZoeLifts
ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
A couple months ago, a friend of mine moved in with her boyfriend who is severely allergic to cats. Her cat is a real sweetheart, named Micky, and I was very willing to take her. I have a couple already so it was not a problem for me. Everything was going great and I have finally integrated Micky with my own cats and they are now tolerating each other plus I like Micky a lot, however, my friend found out that I was feeding Micky like the rest and is furious with me. My friend is a very strict vegan and I did not realize that she was feeding her cat the same way. Micky was pretty small for her age when I got her but she has filled out nicely now, so I guess when my friend came over to visit she noticed how much bigger Micky was and went absolutely ballistic that I was not feeding the cat a strictly vegan diet. We had a huge fight about it and haven’t spoken in two days.
So here are my questions: Do you feed your cat vegan? How does that work? Should I give her back Micky (I’ve already grown quite attached)? Should I just say that the cat is mine now, she gave her up, so I can feed her how I want? Should I never speak to my friend again?
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Why are people trolling about vegan cats today?
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    She gave you the cat. She doesn't get to make any calls now.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Report you friend to the RSPCA (is there a US equivalent?) and the cat is yours.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    If your friend gave you the cat, it's a gift and you don't have to give it back. Kinda like an engagement ring. Give her a couple more days to simmer down then call her.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Cats are carnivores. They eat meat. Their teeth and jaw are specific to meat eating. I don't care what the human ate. Ask any vet. Cats need lots of Protein and meat. Ignore the friend, the cat can't make a choice on it's own. You are caring for it now.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cats are suppose to eat meat - better to lose an idiot friend than harm the cat :tongue:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Eat the cat. Don't share with your vegan friend.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Feeding a cat a vegan diet is animal abuse. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they MUST eat meat. Don't give it back.
  • laurainparis
    laurainparis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    She could not reasonably expect you to continue the expense and hassle of feeding the cat a vegan diet.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

Well, duh, she wouldn't want to eat any meat anyway, cat or otherwise....seriously.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Thank you all for your good advice. I didn't realize cats being vegan was such a volatile topic!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    She gave the cat to you - it's yours now. You would be an irresponsible pet parent if you didn't feed it the best way you knew how.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Well, duh, she wouldn't want to eat any meat anyway, cat or otherwise....seriously.

Feed your vegan friend to the cat. Then eat the cat.
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What is with all the cat posts today??!! Seriously, I have seen at least 5!
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    She could not reasonably expect you to continue the expense and hassle of feeding the cat a vegan diet.

Maybe if I asked her to pay for its diet since she wants me to feed it vegan? You are right though, I understand it can get expensive.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Cats are carnivores. They eat meat. Their teeth and jaw are specific to meat eating. I don't care what the human ate. Ask any vet. Cats need lots of Protein and meat. Ignore the friend, the cat can't make a choice on it's own. You are caring for it now.

What she said.
  • jjeddy
    jjeddy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your friend was abusing her animal. Cats are carnivores. Talk to any vet. She needs to get over it and let you care of the animal as you see fit.