Fitbit Help Please?

Had a fitbit ultra last year, which worked beautifully until things were changed about, and I got rid of it.
Just got a fitbit one, and am logging my workouts manually, but the fitbit seems to be adding too much in addition.
I did a run, logged it manually on mfp, using the start time as fitbit underestimates my burns for that, and fitbit has added an extra 300 odd calories, which I have in no way burnt as I only did about 25 mins walking beyond the run.

Replies

• teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    I have the same issues. I'm thinking its because it really only guessing calories burn. A heart rate monitor (my opinion) is the best way to gauge calories.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Add your exercise on fitbit, not on MFP.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Don't manually add let Fitbit add.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Let fitbit add your calories
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I don't log running or walking in MFP.

Also, do you have the calorie estimation setting on? I disabled mine, as I don't work out every day so I don't want to be granted extra calories based on what FB thinks I'll do that day. And one other thing is to turn on negative allowances in MFP settings.

ETA: I only log strength training in MFP
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Your FitBit calculates the entire day, not just your run. I've had a 500 calorie burn from my FitBit before.

I'm tracking my calorie intake, output and weight on a spreadsheet using HRM and FitBit combined and my weight loss vs calories in/out is pretty bang on.
  • I have a Fitbit One. I took the time to set up my stats on that site in addition to MFP. Fitbit automatically syncs your movement to MFP. MFP makes a Fitbit adjustment in order to get it as accurate as possible. There is a good sticky in the Fitbit group that explains how MFP and Fitbit work together.
  • cbsmith14
    cbsmith14 Posts: 15 Member
    Hi ya-
    I'm not expert but this is what I've come to figure out.

Fit bit tracks your calories for the entire day and adjust accordingly as the day goes on, every time you update your fitbit info on the computer.

So, you may not have burned that many calories on your walk- but you were more active during your day to day actions than MFP thought you would be.

Sometimes I'll have a really hectic day at work- up and down stairs all day- and I'll burn a TON of calories, but I wont have worked out at all. So now I don't manually log my work outs, I just let fitbit tell MFP what I'm doing.
    When I want to log the time of my workouts, I just log what it was, but put 1 calorie (MFP wont let me put zero).

You could adjust your activity levels on your MFP profile - or just let fitbit do the work for you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member

Also, do you have the calorie estimation setting on? I disabled mine, as I don't work out every day so I don't want to be granted extra calories based on what FB thinks I'll do that day. And one other thing is to turn on negative allowances in MFP settings.

I think the calorie estimation is on, yes, not got the negative allowances on as it was suggested not to have that on if you wont be synching throughout the day.
  • Graelwyn75
    Add your exercise on fitbit, not on MFP.

Ok, will try that, it said on here to add it on mfp.
  • Graelwyn75

I logged the running because fitbit underestimates it, compared to my hrm.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    My main negative point about the fitbit I found was the massive over-estimation of calories burnt.