Trying to weigh my cat

Options
ZoeLifts
ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
Hey, so I am having the hardest time getting my cat to stay still on the scale. I set her on it and she just walks off over and over again. I even tried some treats but she won't get on the scale all of the way. Any suggestions?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Duct tape!
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Weight yourself then weight yourself holding your cat, then subtract your weight.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    my cat likes standing on the scale.. shes a fatass
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Here's what I had to do when I started weighing Chairman Meow (my cat, duh). Fill the bath tub with water. Turn a bucket over in the middle of the tub. Set the scale on the bucket. Put the cat on the scale. After he fell in the water once or twice, he learned to sit still. Now he doesn't mind it so much. You can also use treats to help make the experience a little better for him, but remember to deduct the weight of the treats from the overall number!
  • Primrose_au
    Primrose_au Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Depending on what type of scales you are using, try weigh yourself first then you and the cat together, then deduct your weight from that of the two of you. What you are left with is the cats weight. :happy:
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Here's what I had to do when I started weighing Chairman Meow (my cat, duh). Fill the bath tub with water. Turn a bucket over in the middle of the tub. Set the scale on the bucket. Put the cat on the scale. After he fell in the water once or twice, he learned to sit still. Now he doesn't mind it so much. You can also use treats to help make the experience a little better for him, but remember to deduct the weight of the treats from the overall number!

Hilarious.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Wow! These are all great suggestions! I'm hoping to get my cat used to it, but I'm worried that she will become obsessed with weighing herself if I do it too much. I really don't want her to worry about the number, you know?
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    If using duct tape, remember to subtract the duck tape from the overall weight. It DOES make a difference.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Do you have a healthy BMI chart for cats? I've been looking for one.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    If using duct tape, remember to subtract the duck tape from the overall weight. It DOES make a difference.
    Really depends what brand you're using.
  • Countryslove
    Options
    Weight yourself then weight yourself holding your cat, then subtract your weight.

This is how I weigh my cat
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow! These are all great suggestions! I'm hoping to get my cat used to it, but I'm worried that she will become obsessed with weighing herself if I do it too much. I really don't want her to worry about the number, you know?

You should take measurements as well then. That's a much better measurement of progress than the scale anyway. My vet has gone to measurements instead of weight because with the scale you're getting food in your kitty's tummy and water retention so it's not very useful except to track trends.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    put him in a bag

I'm not kidding, my flatmate's cat used to love sitting in paper bags, he's just sit inside one and peep out over the top. I think he did it for attention
  • mjh0311
    mjh0311 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Lol. You know how cats are, I don't think she'll become obsessed, cats think they are perfect. This makes me think I should go weigh my cat.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Do you have a healthy BMI chart for cats? I've been looking for one.

LOL! ....FBMI !

http://blog.embracepetinsurance.com/2010/08/measuring-my-cats-body-mass-index-fbmi.html

As far as weighing the cat ... simple just place a cardboard box on the scale. The cat will eventually jump in.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Bag or cardboard box idea is great! My cat loves both, but usually jumps in head first, so I will have to be careful!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I would rely on measurements more. That fur can add up depending on breed. Inches > weight, ya' know?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

You've done this before. :smile:
  • catzmommie
    Options
    shave yru cat if you are going to use tape measure. fur gets in the way
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Very creative. Like this idea. :)