Vegetarians out there?

Options
I was just wondering are there any vegetarians out there?

I myself am a vegetarian but i'm also a college student. So I was wondering if you guys had any recipes out there for a vegetarian college student who is on a budget and is tired of eating salads.

Replies

• rukt15
    rukt15 Posts: 3
    Options
    Check out the happy herbivore books. They are all really simple, great recipes and healthy too!
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am GF and newly vegetarian. I have tried a few recipes I truly enjoy. Chickpea salad, mushroom ragout over spinach, teriyaki eggplant steak, eggs with sauteed veggies, I am also a college student. You can add me as a friend if you like. BTW the chickpea salad is amazing. You don't notice it's not chicken LOL.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow night I am making Asian orange tofu YUMMY. If anything sounds good I will post a recipe too it. Just let me know.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are inexpensive and delicious!
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm vegetarian and my diary is open.

(Ignore Sunday... It WAS Easter)

????????????
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am veggie. My diary i open. :)
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost a whole year now. :) Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/JasonWrobelTV
    He posts some great recipes. TheSweetestVegan and EcoVeganGal are good channels as well.
  • MeaghanAnderson
    MeaghanAnderson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Couscous, Textured vegetable protein, and quinoa are pretty cheap if you have a whole foods store near you. I mix them with everything and they fill me up!

Couscous: mix with chicken noodle soup, dry fruits for an breakfast/dessert.
    TVP: mix with corn, any kind of beans, lots of spices for a casserole type dish.
    Quinoa, same as above.

Also there is a good brand, Morning Star in the frozen section of the grocery store...... their "veggie" food tastes so much like real meat it's crazy. Low calories, but the snag with them is there is alot of sodium so don't over do it.

Also black bean burgers are pretty cheap to make, if I am lazy I just take a can of black beans, salt and pepper and any other spices I want, ketchup, mustard and any veggies I have around the house and blend them up. Yummy!

Hope this helped a little :)
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Burrito bowls are pretty cheap and certainly easy enough. I buy dried beans which are loads cheaper and cook them all then freeze them. You can put whatever you want in them and change them often too so you won't get tired of them after a while.
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian (although every six weeks or so I might sneak in some other meats if I know it's not hormone and antibiotic laden), but I only eat seafood a couple times a week if that. So I mostly eat vegetarian and am on a budget! There are lots of things you can do with pastas and rice. A grocery store here (Kroger) has lots of pre-packaged meal "starters" in the produce section (like chopped up asparagus, mushroom, red onion combos, or zucchini/squash already sliced)....I like to pick up things like that and sauté or roast them with some spices and then throw them in a pasta with marinara sauce or butter or olive oil for the sauce or on top of rice. Stir-fry's are awesome! . I also do a lot of hummus. This same produce section has huge stuffed portabella mushrooms that are great roasted. Broccoli slaw is nice too for making wraps! Put some feta cheese in it and toast it in a spinach or sundried tomato wrap and yum! Black bean burgers are good to chop up an throw in a wrap as well, or just do as a burger. You can buy them at the store, or there are some good recipes online where you can make up a bunch and freeze them to use as needed. You can also use wraps/flatbreads and load them up with veggies like a pizza, or do pizza even. Look for coupons and deals and sales. A lot of these things you can buy and freeze. veggies will keep frozen too. I live by myself, so I tend to freeze my hamburger buns, tortillas and things like stir fry veggies, and then pastas and rice keep forever, and if you're just cooking for yourself you're not going to use a whole box for one meal.