And here I thought I wasn't losing weight...

Barneystinson
Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Oh my, so I've been a bit confused - keeping tabs on my portions, carb counts, getting outside and walking, lifting and the scale keeps telling me I have zero progress from 2 weeks to now. It's been fluctuating from 143 to 151, which for me and the way my clothing fits is a little high. I know I do retain SOME water weight due to adapting to a more consistent fitness regime, but not THAT much, maybe 2-3 pounds at best.

I've been using my bathroom scale which is about 6 years old - a cheap option at the time I bought it. I was wondering if it wasn't calibrated properly due to the goofy results. And not just for me - but for my fiance. His weight (according to the scale) can fluctuate 15 pounds from day to day! WTF!?

So today I decided to fire up the Wii Fit and weigh myself. I made sure to not wear heavy clothing and didn't allow the Wii to subtract any weight for clothing - just wore a sports bra and undies. Lo and behold - 139 pounds (and near perfect balance!).

I may double check this figure by getting a new digital scale, but I have verified the Wii's accuracy in the past by checking my results against a [fancy] scale at the gym. So for now, I trust the Wii and will be charting my progress (and getting mocked by the cartoon scale on the screen for being over my target weight. Agghhhh!)

So, moral of the story - if your weight is all over the place, check the accuracy of your scale!

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Congrats...I know it must feel great, to realize you have been loosing all this time.

Keep up the good work
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    What a nice surprise! Great work!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Congrats!! And the Wii fit is probably the rudest game I've ever played! haha!!!
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    I use my wii fit to weigh in too. It is way more accurate than my bathroom scale.
    Congrats on your weight loss!:flowerforyou:
  • Barneystinson
    Thanks! It was like finding a $50 bill!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Congrats!! And the Wii fit is probably the rudest game I've ever played! haha!!!

Isn't it? I've been using it for my weigh-ins as well, and the thing is obnoxious! I thought it'd get nicer once I moved from the "That's Overweight!" slogan to the "That's Normal!" but somehow, even when telling you your normal it manages to be irritating about it. It makes me want to strangle the owner of that annoying voice.
  • cbullock115
    cbullock115 Posts: 110
    I also use the Wii Fit to weigh in. You would think that they could be a lot nicer rather than blowing your character up and stating "that's obese". Really, that's why I am here! LOL :laugh:
  • Barneystinson
    I hate that little riff that plays after they announce your BMI - then they give your character a big stomach and skinny legs. Oh gee thanks Wii Fit!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Thanks for this reminder. I just realized that my bathroom scale is 14 years old! And it's analog, so it's really hard to read those tiny lines in between the 5's! I may just have to invest in a good digital scale.

Question on the Wii Fit - should it be on a flat surface? We have ours in the family room, and the carpet is pretty flat, although there is a pad underneath. How do we know if it's an accurate reading? Thanks!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Congrats :) I think I need to buy a scale of my own also. Need to start weighing in at home! :) Keep up the great work!!!
  • Heather1776
    Heather1776 Posts: 46 Member
    This is why I don't rely on scales to check my progress. I don't have a scale, but am so tempted to get one. But since I have been seeing results in how my clothes fit and with measurements I keep telling myself I don't need one. It can really burst your bubble if the numbers aren't moving as you think they should be. Therefore, I am standing strong to not buy a scale. Although, I am curious what my weight is now. The next time I go to my parents I will weigh myself there. That's the only scale (besides the doctor's office) that I've stepped on over the years.
  • Barneystinson
    Thanks for this reminder. I just realized that my bathroom scale is 14 years old! And it's analog, so it's really hard to read those tiny lines in between the 5's! I may just have to invest in a good digital scale.

Question on the Wii Fit - should it be on a flat surface? We have ours in the family room, and the carpet is pretty flat, although there is a pad underneath. How do we know if it's an accurate reading? Thanks!

Aim for an even surface, but if it is on carpet (which mine is), just make sure you have the little adjusters (for carpeted floors) snapped onto the legs.
This discussion has been closed.