ketosis

Options
13»

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ketosis is a medical issue well so is being fat...and so far all i've seen is positive feedback on ketosis and all the research seems positive..
    how about this:

eat less calories
    dont worry about ketosis

mad i know, pretty innovative and out there

Eat less calories, from the right foods... don't fight cravings and obsess about food. Also pretty simple.

I agree that the solution is not an algebraic equation, but I take issue with the statement that it is "simple." If it were simple, everyone would be in shape.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    ketosis is a medical issue well so is being fat...and so far all i've seen is positive feedback on ketosis and all the research seems positive..
    how about this:

eat less calories
    dont worry about ketosis

Eat less calories, from the right foods... don't fight cravings and obsess about food. Also pretty simple.

I agree that the solution is not an algebraic equation, but I take issue with the statement that it is "simple." If it were simple, everyone would be in shape.

You're right, it's only simple when you understand what's going on in your body. When I eat something as (what I thought was) benign as a piece of toast, I crave more toast, with Nutella LOL. When I eat high fat and mod. protein lower carbs, I crave nothing. So choosing the right foods makes it very simple, providing you know what the right foods are for your body.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    how about this:

eat less calories
    dont worry about ketosis

You're right, it's only simple when you understand what's going on in your body. When I eat something as (what I thought was) benign as a piece of toast, I crave more toast, with Nutella LOL. When I eat high fat and mod. protein lower carbs, I crave nothing. So choosing the right foods makes it very simple, providing you know what the right foods are for your body.

Agreed
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When I eat something as (what I thought was) benign as a piece of toast, I crave more toast, with Nutella LOL.
    Mmm.... Nutella ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENU9ZMEeww
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    When I eat something as (what I thought was) benign as a piece of toast, I crave more toast, with Nutella LOL.
    Mmm.... Nutella ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENU9ZMEeww

OMG, that was obscene! LOL... well I wouldn't say it's THAT bad, but pretty close. Smaller spoon lol
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ketosis can take about a week but ketogenic dieting without medical supervision is dangerous. I lost weight on a ketogenic diet back in 2000. The program was called New Direction. The first week was hell and I mean HELL! All of the sudden, one day, my appetite just disappeared. I averaged a 7 pound weight loss but it wasn't healthy. The first 87 pounds I lost completely on the ketogenic diet and that left me somewhat muscularly weak. I lost that weight in a 3 month span. I gained all of it back plus more some years later. Now that I'm at it again, this time I consciously decided NOT to go the ketogenic way. A little old fashioned patience and hard work goes a long way.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Ketosis can take about a week but ketogenic dieting without medical supervision is dangerous. I lost weight on a ketogenic diet back in 2000. The program was called New Direction. The first week was hell and I mean HELL! All of the sudden, one day, my appetite just disappeared. I averaged a 7 pound weight loss but it wasn't healthy. The first 87 pounds I lost completely on the ketogenic diet and that left me somewhat muscularly weak. I lost that weight in a 3 month span. I gained all of it back plus more some years later. Now that I'm at it again, this time I consciously decided NOT to go the ketogenic way. A little old fashioned patience and hard work goes a long way.
    If the "New Direction" program you mention is the same one I've heard of, it's not just ketogenic, it's also a VLCD (very low calorie diet) and it doesn't surprise me that you were left "muscularly weak" after it.

Please don't judge a proper ketogenic diet by the one you tried. A ketogenic diet, done-correctly - should be like any other - you should still eat a caloric intake above your BMR but below your TDEE, and engage in exercise (both cardio and strength/resistance training). The true benefit comes in that while keto-adapted and getting proper calories, more fat is burned than on a non-keto diet, blood-glucose is better-controlled, insulin-sensitivity is improved, cholesterol profile and triglycerides are also improved.

I would never recommend BOTH an extreme caloric-defecit and ketogenic diet at the same time. This is actually dangerous, from a medical standpoint. A moderate caloric deficit is, without-question, quite safe and extremely effective.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    When I was following a CKD it took me 2 days. I crashed my body with a killer workout, then did IF for 12 hours + a day without carbs and boom you are there. Drink alot of water.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would love to try a keto diet again for a 3rd time. I researched it and didn't know about the carb loading I brought up before. After getting cramps around 2 week area both times I gave up on it. Since then did more research since I love meat and wife makes fun of my "meat desserts" and found out about getting in more fiber since missing with lack of veggies.

Anyone experience cramping before and was fiber or improper carb reloading the issue or maybe something else. From what I gather I should consume about 10-12g of carbs/kg lean mass. So I think my lean mass about 140 lbs/2.2=about 64 kg. This would mean I would need to consume 640g of carbs during my carb reload period of about 36 hours. Protein required would be between 1.2-1.7g/kg total weight so 91kg=109-155g/day.

Like mentioned before by albertabeefy, need to be above BMR and below TDEE for any diet to work. My BMR is 1756 so need to consume at least 1136 fat/carb calories depending if loading or not along with the 155x4=620 calories from protein. This makes the 640gx4=2560 calories from carbs during the reload period of 36 hours seems rather high.

Maybe cramps were from not even being close to that amount. Are these numbers even still correct (they do vary but these did seem to be most common years ago)? God knows nutrition advice does change a lot lol.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I would love to try a keto diet again for a 3rd time. I researched it and didn't know about the carb loading .... Are these numbers even still correct (they do vary but these did seem to be most common years ago)? God knows nutrition advice does change a lot lol.
    The recommendations on the reloading phase of a CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet) are still valid for endurance athletes - around whom they were created. However bear in mind that all studies done have been on marathon runners and distance cyclists, etc,. NOT on people targeting weight-loss or strength-training for hypertrophy.

Lyle McDonald, a foremost authority on ketogenic diets states "...typical carb-ups have been studied in endurance athletes, not weight trainers so extrapolations must be made with care. It has been long known that only the muscles worked immediately prior to the carb-up are supercompensated ... Muscle groups which have been trained several days prior to the start of a carb-load will not be optimally supercompensated. This suggests that, for optimal results, the whole body should be worked during the workout prior to the carb-up"

So bear that in mind when looking into a CKD for either weight-loss or for hypertrophy - it's been studied primarily for use on endurance athletes, and as such it's quite likely that in the case of the general population, the recommended carb-loading levels may be unnecessarily high.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ok that makes a lot more sense. I am more like a C25K runner than marathon currently and prefer my mountain bike above all else.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would love to try a keto diet again for a 3rd time. I researched it and didn't know about the carb loading I brought up before. After getting cramps around 2 week area both times I gave up on it. Since then did more research since I love meat and wife makes fun of my "meat desserts" and found out about getting in more fiber since missing with lack of veggies.

Anyone experience cramping before and was fiber or improper carb reloading the issue or maybe something else. From what I gather I should consume about 10-12g of carbs/kg lean mass. So I think my lean mass about 140 lbs/2.2=about 64 kg. This would mean I would need to consume 640g of carbs during my carb reload period of about 36 hours. Protein required would be between 1.2-1.7g/kg total weight so 91kg=109-155g/day.

Like mentioned before by albertabeefy, need to be above BMR and below TDEE for any diet to work. My BMR is 1756 so need to consume at least 1136 fat/carb calories depending if loading or not along with the 155x4=620 calories from protein. This makes the 640gx4=2560 calories from carbs during the reload period of 36 hours seems rather high.

Maybe cramps were from not even being close to that amount. Are these numbers even still correct (they do vary but these did seem to be most common years ago)? God knows nutrition advice does change a lot lol.
    Cramping could have been due to a lack of magnesium, potassium and other electrolytes. On a keto diet your body does not retain as much fluid. This will flush out a lot of the electrolytes. Make sure you are drinking a good sugar free sports drink while working out and running or biking. Supplementing potassium, magnesium and calcium is helpful.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what I needed..more advice from people that have been doing this a long time.
    I have been eating lc for a while now but suffering from heartburn and weight not coming off.
    I started keto over a week ago and have noticed a huge improvement in the way I feel.I'm coming out of the cloudy,hazy phase and feeling better than ever.
    I also believe it is the key to my outrageous sugar addiction as I am not thinking about it anymore..the fat seems to be the key in all of this.
    Anyone thinking about it,I would highly recommend it to help getting over addictions as well as helping from inflammation in the body.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If the "New Direction" program you mention is the same one I've heard of, it's not just ketogenic, it's also a VLCD (very low calorie diet) and it doesn't surprise me that you were left "muscularly weak" after it.

Please don't judge a proper ketogenic diet by the one you tried. A ketogenic diet, done-correctly - should be like any other - you should still eat a caloric intake above your BMR but below your TDEE, and engage in exercise (both cardio and strength/resistance training). The true benefit comes in that while keto-adapted and getting proper calories, more fat is burned than on a non-keto diet, blood-glucose is better-controlled, insulin-sensitivity is improved, cholesterol profile and triglycerides are also improved.

I would never recommend BOTH an extreme caloric-defecit and ketogenic diet at the same time. This is actually dangerous, from a medical standpoint. A moderate caloric deficit is, without-question, quite safe and extremely effective.

I agree but I did not pass any form of judgement. I simply said that it can be dangerous to do without expert supervision. I did both VLCD and Ketogenic diet at the same time. Yes, it was dangerous and I nearly died from developing gangrene in my gall bladder. I have a feeling that the dangers involved caused the weight management program that I was using at the time to stop using the New Direction system. Now, I'm doing it in a more traditional way through the University of Pennsylvania.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!