Cheap and filling salad?

Options
I am going to try and eat salads for lunch instead of hot dogs. What are some good salad ingredients? I also need a good salad dressing. I LOVE ranch, but I know how unhealthy that is. I do not like vinegar, so that is out.

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I like sweet baby lettuce, baby romaine, and baby spinach. Serving is 85 grams and between 15-20 calories. I like to add and oz of feta, light Italian dressing (35 cals for 2 tbsp), and some type of meat. I usually alternate between chicken, hillshire turkey slices, imitation crab, tuna, ect. You could also add chopped tomato, cucumbers, or other vegetables.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Berry salad; 2 cups of spring mix greens plus 2 cups of fresh blackberries and a container of Carb Master blackberry yogurt OR one chopped Bosc pear, and a container of Carb Master spiced pear yogurt instead of "salad dressing". Steak salad; 2 cups of spring mix, half to 3/4 cups of chopped Swiss cheese, 6 oz. or so rare sliced beef steak, and a tablespoon of ranch dressing.
  • PototaeLuvvr
    Options
    pototae salad
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad has lots of tomatoes, lots of cucumber, grilled chicken cut into tiiiny pieces, peas, cheese (1 or 2 babybell) and sometimes baby spinach or lettuce. Sometimes I put in steamed and cooled broccoli too. Sometimes onions too if I'm using the make-your-own-salad-bar nearby.

It dosen't really NEED dressing, but sometimes I add some anyway, usually this one curry-lime one I got from the store or Pantai sweet chili sauce mixed with sour cream, creme fraiche or yogurt.
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I hate iceberg lettuce and that is what my husband bought. I know that is it not the best type of lettuce. We definitely have to eat healthier. I love tuna and when I make a sandwich, it is drowning in mayo.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do spinach and a few different lettuces (get the bag of a spring mix or whatever - it'll have something other than iceberg-the greener the better!).... cukes, mushrooms, green pepper, grape tomatoes... and then a can of tuna and a little light balsamic vinagrette dressing. Lots of veggies and protein - very filling!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't do lettuce...my salads are true greens only...i.e. spinach, kale, mustard greens, etc. Lettuce is pretty much void of any real nutritional value.

As far as toppings, pretty much whatever I'm in the mood for. I love veggies, so no problem there. Usually some kind of protein on mine as well...also nuts or avocado or something for my heart healthy fats.

Can't help much with the dressing if you don't like vinegar...I'm pretty much an olive oil and vinegar guy...sometimes olive oil and lemon juice.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am going to try and eat salads for lunch instead of hot dogs. What are some good salad ingredients? I also need a good salad dressing. I LOVE ranch, but I know how unhealthy that is. I do not like vinegar, so that is out.

One of my favorites is a few organic grape tomatoes, about a half-cup of sliced English cucumber, 2 oz. of diced cheddar, about a quarter cup of avocado and a couple of tablespoons of green pepper with about a tablespoon of Greek Feta dressing. About 325 calories and is VERY filling and yummy. But I am on a lower carb, not lower fat diet. Can't do low-fat. Find a low-carb diet helps me to stay in my calorie allotment and I feel much better. AND I can eat regular food instead of repulsive low-fat, no-fat junk. :smile:
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Do you like lemon? You can make a vinaigrette using oil and lemon in place of the vinegar. I make all my own dresssings but most are vinaigrettes so no help there.

I love putting jicama on my salads. Greens with jicama, orange wedges and sunflower seeds. Greens with jicama, cucumber and chickpeas. Greens with jicama, tomato and kidney beans.

I also like making a salad without greens, let's say black beans, tomatoes, corn, avocado in lime juice. Make that ahead of time then serve it over a bed of greens when you are ready to eat it.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Don't use the full calorie ranch. You'll end up on the streets like this guy.

tumblr_mkgptxFW5A1rt302po1_500.jpg