Parent advice on babysitter etiquette

Options
13»

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Your friend was right. Her daughter is a minor, and any issues should be addressed with the parent first. If it's no big deal, then it should have been no big deal to talk with the girls mother first.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well that was fast. I'm glad you were able to work it out so quickly. :flowerforyou:
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have mentioned anything until I had proof. Re a hidden cam. Its hard to tip toe around what you don't know to be true and not hurt anyone. Being your friend she is going to take it personal after all its her daughter. In another situation yes you would say to the sitter once you have proof though. I know its the done thing in the states to have teenagers looking after children but I cant see for the life of me why children are looking after children! I only had my close and choice relatives to look after mine. I understand that not everyone has that luxury. But to think logically children under the age of 20 (even then some) do not have the capability to always make the right decision in a crisis situation. Not to mention that sitter to be feeling guilty if something were to happen.
    I realise most of the time its an average day with no incident, fortunately or unfortunately being raised in a European environment we look to what could happen. Always be prepared and have the best situation for the best outcome.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Please... don't be THAT lady. There's nothing worse than babysitting for someone who feels the need to question ones every move. If you have a computer rule, lock your computer. Toy being broken? Why would you even bring that up?

I remember being 14 watching other peoples kids and feeling like I was being told on by their kids for everything I did - AND I WAS A GOOD KID! Would you be reacting this same way if it was her mother that had done those things? My bet is no.

I AM THAT LADY and this is why...

When it comes to my child, I question a lot of things. Not because I am paranoid, but simply, just because I want to know.

We actually switched day care because of this reason. Right now, when my child is at an age where she can't really respond to my questions of her day, I rely solely on the people watching her. If they don't communicate with you or have no clue what is going on, you are most likely not going to know.

Having questions and reminding your sitter or daycare about your and your child's preferences are not always about scolding someone and telling them they are wrong. Sometimes that is needed info or helpful info.

I would agree with knowing whats going on and asking questions. Just my opinion- I wouldn't leave my kid with a teenager/anyone thats not family. I'm THIS lady. But I hate whenever parents come in and SEARCH for things that went wrong when they do opt for a teen baby sitter.... and in the beginning of this post this is what it seemed like. For example, a 3 year old having a toy broken and questioning the baby sitter about it like it was her responsibility to make sure no toy was broken. It's like finding a tiny nic in the wall... not noticing when it happened and wondering if it was that blasted babysitter.
    The OP has since explained what she was trying to do, so it seems like she worked it out and clarified what she was getting done.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    We've had the same sitter for 3 years now (she started when she was 14) and we've NEVER gone to her parents with issues. Granted she has her own phone and facebook account, so I CAN contact her directly. But if we had issues, I'd still go to her directly. Her mom raised her to be a responsible young lady and if she's responsible enough to care for young children, she's responsible enough to talk to directly. I would never even THINK of going to her mom about any issues we might have. I don't think that's standard at all.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Please... don't be THAT lady. There's nothing worse than babysitting for someone who feels the need to question ones every move. If you have a computer rule, lock your computer. Toy being broken? Why would you even bring that up?

I remember being 14 watching other peoples kids and feeling like I was being told on by their kids for everything I did - AND I WAS A GOOD KID! Would you be reacting this same way if it was her mother that had done those things? My bet is no.

I AM THAT LADY and this is why...

When it comes to my child, I question a lot of things. Not because I am paranoid, but simply, just because I want to know.

We actually switched day care because of this reason. Right now, when my child is at an age where she can't really respond to my questions of her day, I rely solely on the people watching her. If they don't communicate with you or have no clue what is going on, you are most likely not going to know.

Having questions and reminding your sitter or daycare about your and your child's preferences are not always about scolding someone and telling them they are wrong. Sometimes that is needed info or helpful info.

I would agree with knowing whats going on and asking questions. Just my opinion- I wouldn't leave my kid with a teenager/anyone thats not family. I'm THIS lady. But I hate whenever parents come in and SEARCH for things that went wrong when they do opt for a teen baby sitter.... and in the beginning of this post this is what it seemed like. For example, a 3 year old having a toy broken and questioning the baby sitter about it like it was her responsibility to make sure no toy was broken. It's like finding a tiny nic in the wall... not noticing when it happened and wondering if it was that blasted babysitter.
    The OP has since explained what she was trying to do, so it seems like she worked it out and clarified what she was getting done.

I guess it really is on interpretation, because even without the OP having to clarify, I knew what she was getting at. But like I said in another post above, I also see how it could have been misunderstood.

I also wasn't trying to sound I was saying you were wrong, just that sometimes there is more there than just them trying to blame that dang baby sitter. :flowerforyou:

Just my opinion, if those parents you were speaking of were that paranoid, they shouldn't be leaving their kids with that person.. People like that are kind of contradicting themselves.

Op glad you got everything clarified!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    So if you get a job at supermarket bagging groceries at 16, does your boss have to call your mother to address any type of performance issues....

Seriously, if you are old enough to be entrusted with the care of a child and paid for said services, you are old enough to have any issues addressed with you directly.