Fat cats, and people who feed them....

Options

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There seems to suddenly be a lot of odd cat threads. Is this an April fool?
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    One of my kittens was starting to get really big, so we did portion control. We started really paying attention to feeding them what they need, nothing more, nothing less. And he really lost so much weight. We only feed them 4 times a day (wet food), and put out dry food for them to eat when they feel hungry. I don't care about them wining outside our bedroom door when they are hungry. I care about my cats and their health... That's why.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My two have always been free fed. They are both fine - weighed twice yearly at the vets and maintain a stable weight and they are both 14 now.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There seems to suddenly be a lot of odd cat threads. Is this an April fool?

https://vimeo.com/

Could very well be.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    My dog is overweight, but the cat isn't. I need some help too!
  • LovesStrays
    Options
    You should get your cat to a vet straight away, that's really unhealthy and could cause lasting problems. If you are unwilling to help I could take the cat if you are in the UK.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    It's like when you are training any dumb animal or child. Ignore it's whines and complaints. If that doesn't work, give it a smack so it knows who is boss.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My cat isn't fat, he's just fluffy ;)

644111_10100678700116624_307423930_n.jpg
  • LovesStrays
    Options
    It's like when you are training any dumb animal or child. Ignore it's whines and complaints. If that doesn't work, give it a smack so it knows who is boss.

Wow that's really horrible. I may have to defriends you. I mean bad enough a child - but to treat a cat that way? :explode:
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I just have one cat, Sebastian. I've been free feeding him since he was a kitten and he is a healthy weight. He only eats when he is hungry, but I do have him on "indoor weight control and hairball control" since he is a long haired cat and strictly indoors.

I play with him every night with his toys and he'll get those crunchy teeth cleaning snacks once in a while, not every day. Also, I DO NOT feed him table scraps. He will still beg when I am cooking meats, but I am not leading him down that bad habit road. LOL!
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    animal cruelty
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My cat is a fatty boy. He's on a good diet (1/4 cup of Taste of the Wild 2x daily) and runs around all the time jumping on things, playing, chasing squirrels and birds, etc. He's just chubby. I never free-feed or over-feed, and the vet says he's as healthy as can be and not to worry about his weight.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    tumblr_li2dusiCyf1qgnsnbo1_250.gif
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My cat is a rescue, we got him about 5 yo having lived on the streets. He was in a bad way, overweight (16 lb ish), scabby and fiv positive. He has since been diagnosed as a ' transient' diabetic, and so has huge problems loosing weig. He is an indoor cat
    , which means he gets little exercise (but having kitty HIV means he isn't allowed to play with other cats so can't be let out) , t he is on a very strict diet of low carb food, portion controlled. He is in a much better condition now, but he is still utterly massive two years later. The diabetes makes it hard to loose wight but then cats as a general rule have to be dieted very carefully.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    tumblr_li2dusiCyf1qgnsnbo1_250.gif

If you could train the cat to do this, it would get plenty of exercise!
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My cat weighs 19 pounds and eats all day. I have tried cutting back on what food I give her but then she just constantly complains and its really annoying. I don't know what to do.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My cousins, all of whom are athletic and play soccer and other sports, have a cat that used to be so fat. They were free-feeding it and cut its food down. Then it started losing the weight, but the "fat mentality" has never gone away. It's been years and he'll still run downstairs whenever someone goes down in the hopes that someone might feed him.

All of the cats I grew up with, on the other hand, have been free-fed and we never had a problem. We had one come into the family who was a barn cat before, and obviously she didn't get fed regularly in the hopes that she'd hunt and whatnot, so she'd overeat like a beast because obviously not having food was a major stressor for her. She got pretty fat, but when summertime rolled around, she lost all the weight and we barely ever saw her because she was outside hunting all day and most of the night. She'd come in first thing in the morning for food and then she'd be off again. Even as a slim cat, though, she was huge. We were shocked to find out that she was female, in fact.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    animal cruelty

I agree, but you can get special diet cat food from your vets to help.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    go to vet, cat went to groomer, she lost 2.lbs and eats less than 3/4 of a cup a day. She does seems ask for food sometimes just because and she used to go to the food to be pet so sometimes it just attention she truly wanted. I lost 4.4 lbs just logging
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    should we set up accounts for our cats here - to help them be accountable for their food?