How to begin "heavy lifting"?

Options
Hello everyone... I'm 5'6" and currently 180.8 lbs (from my highest weight of 238lbs-prior to giving birth, 212lbs at my 6 wk check up). I have been doing some strength training, mainly "bodypump" at my gym, but i have a desire to start lifting heavy. I have seen realistic results and I want to be strong, toned, and fit like my visual inspirations. But how do I start? I'm a true novice when it comes to exercising and a newbie when it comes to lifting. I am a little intimidated and just at a lost as to where to begin as far as how much weight and a real routine that I can do...

Help please...

Also if you have any inspirational picks of women who lift heavy... I always love those...

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Look into a personal trainer. I had one for about a year about a year ago, and it was the best money I ever spent on myself. I didn't know anything about lifting, and she taught me form, how much weight to lift, and how to plan my workouts. Now, I just go to the gym and rock that :)
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    Hey good luck! :) Here's where I go to drool over the hot body I want!! http://www.facebook.com/FitnessMotivationDietTraining

As for where to start, http://www.bodybuilding.com/ has some nice programs which you could follow. Is there anyone at your gym that can mentor you?

Best of luck to you!! Congratulations on your progress so far, you should be proud of yourself!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Take a look at "New Rules of Lifting for Women" You might also be interested in "Starting Strength" by Mark Riptoe or the Strong Lift 5x5 program (though I think SS is better for beginners).

Whatever you ultimately end up doing (lots of stuff out there) make sure it's geared towards the novice. I like bodybuilding.com but a lot of there stuff is geared towards much more experienced lifters who have already done programs like Starting Strength and have a good foundation of knowledge in RE to lifting as well as a good foundation of basic, functional strength.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 5 reps seem to be the overall common consensus to begin heavy lifting or make improvements in strength gains.
    But if you have just begun lifting, you should do a bit more reps and less weight to build some stronger base muscles first before attempting something more sophisticated ... Very easy to injure yourself lifting heavy especially the joints
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I liked new rules of lifting for women as a beginners program. It has a lot of information that is great for the beginner female lifter. Buy it and read it cover to cover. the information is indispensable, even fi you don't follow the program in it.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program is very popular seems to work for many men and women both. Look it up, there's tons of information.
  • lilmizp
    lilmizp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions... think I will look into "New Rules of Lifting" and "Starting Strength"... with a new baby I just dont have the money for a personal trainer...I'm trying to get my buddy who used to play football in college to go to the gym with me and show me some things...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

This.

Also check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good routines mentioned here. The most important thing is to pick a routine that teaches you how to have good, solid form, and that progresses you slowly. A lot of people starting out tend to start too heavy and try to do too much, and then either burn out, or get hurt and then just fall away. Find a routine that takes you through it step by step. Also, get involved with a good, solid group or two on here, or find someone who lifts wherever you are. Getting advice from people who have been there is an awesome way to go, especially if you are able to train with them. Make sure to take your time, eat plenty, and get plenty of rest. Good luck, stay safe, and work hard!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

^^^ I recommend this 1000x's over. For a beginner / intermediate program I personally have not come across one better. I have made excellent gains strength wise from this program. I will say though that if you are more into that "pump" feeling like a lot of people do then you may not be too fond of it. If you are loooking to get strong then this program FTW!!!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts and I love it. I downloaded the app...it's awesome since it keeps track of your progress for you (I'm really bad at remembering what I've lifted between workouts).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm using NROLFW, but I read on their Facebook page that the new book, New Rules of Lifting Supercharged, is even better. If you do decide to go with this one, you'll want to join the group NROL4W here. Good luck, whatever you choose!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    www.exrx.net

Start here. There is a lot of really good information and some information and plans to get you started.