Weight loss and skin.

Ok, this might seem like a strange question but I'm am just too curious. I have lost 10 lbs already and plan to lose up to 20 more at the most. When I lose this weight, will I have loose or extra skin just hanging around or will it adjust to the shape of my body? I've always wondered that and now it's beginning to slightly worry me as I would hate to have all this extra skin hanging around lol. Answers would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    No lol. You'd prob need to lose like close to 100. lol

Body builders regularly lose 20-40lbs (sometimes more) throughout the different seasons.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Depends on genetics and how much stretching your skin has already done it's lifetime.. while I support the facts about losing more than 100lbs usually leads to sagging skin, I've had two children which means more than one major change in my skin. People who have had lots of changes already before weight loss may already have sagging skin

I have a bit of sagging skin already but have only 6 more lbs to lose (out of a goal of 20lbs).. I just lift heavy to try and fill up and firm areas, rub lotion and pure almond oil every night. Seems to work for me :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    You won't know until it happens (or doesn't). It depends on a lot of things including how much you lose, how old you are and genetics.

I've lost about 85lbs and I have some loose skin, especially on my abdomen and upper arms. It's not pretty, but it's not hideous either, and it's a small price to pay for being the size I am now. Losing the weight is still absolutely worth it.

I haven't heard/read any definitive ways of preventing or curing it, but the advice that tends to float around is:
    -drink lots of water
    -moisturise your skin regularly
    -strength train
    -lose the weight slowly
    -give it time - I've heard quite a few people say that their loose skin improved after a period of time maintaining the weight loss

You are very young, and have less to lose - both those things should work in your favour.