Looking for Running Tips!

sngnyrslp
sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone! I've recently started running on a semi-regular basis (2-4 times a week, depending on the week), and I'm looking for all the help I can get. I've never been a runner, so I don't know if there are secret tips to make it easier or more fun. Right now, I'm only running about a mile and a half to two miles each time I run, but I would really like to work my way up. For me, the problem isn't that my legs get tired. My lungs do! The reason I stop when I do is because it gets really hard to breathe, so I'm also trying to get over that somehow.

Does anyone have any helpful running hints? I'd really appreciate them!

Replies

• Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    I am not a professional runner by a long shot but when I started I noticed that I was out of breathe alot. Just like lamaze you have to control your breathing!
  • I was the same way. Remember to breath in through you nose and out through you mouth. Sometimes I will not breath in so deep and that helps alot. Also, it will take time to build up your endurance. Stick with it and you will see it gets easier. I also run somethimes for 5 mins and walk for 2 this helps you get started and too raise and lower your heartrate which helps you lose weight.
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    I totally agree -- the lungs and the breathing is the hard part. So I began by "wogging" -- walk/jogging. One minute walk, one minute run. Then increasing it to 2 min run/1walk, 3 run/1 walk etc. Every day, push yourself to jog just a little bit farther.

Until recently, I walked up all the big hills on my route. I just didn't think I could do it. Then one day, I decided to try. And once you make it up one time, there's no going back to walking up the hills. Somehow, you break through, mentally, whatever the block that was keeping you walking.

The other thing I keep in mind is this idea: the easy runs -- the days you feel good and strong -- are easy to do. The hard ones -- where you hurt, feel weak, don't want to be doing it, want to quit and don't -- those are the important runs. Those are the ones that make you stronger, mentally.

I started running/jogging in February, and now am able to go 41 minutes and 3.6 miles without stopping. I'm just back from my jog, and while running the thought occurred to me of expanding my route.

I hated jogging in high school and college when I played sports -- couldn't do it then! didn't have the mental discipline to just keep at it -- but here I am, at 43, 2 kids, cancer survivor, running for the first time in my life. Proud!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    I try to never stop running but rather slow down until my breathing recovers. This is because if I stop and walk once, I seem to find it very easy to stop and walk again. So, even if I could walk faster than I am running, I keep on running. Oh, and good music is a must!

:smile:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    You could try the couch 2 5k program. It helps guide you into it. Since you can already run 1to 2 miles it may be too slow paced for you but worth a try. It could be a great tool to help you build up speed!
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    A few tips that I have found helpful:
    -Always warm up and stretch ahead of time. This drastically reduces the chance of hurting yourself while running.
    -Keep a log. Just like MFP tracks your calories and food, you should be tracking your running results as well (time, distance, etc.). There are several online tools you can find by googling for this, or you can be old school and just keep a journal.
    -Invest in good shoes. This is the only piece of equipment you have, so don't skimp on it. Go to a store that specializes in running and have them measure you gait and pronation to help get you in the shoe that is right for you. This can make the difference from painful runs to enjoyable runs. Shoes matter.
    -Replace your shoes regularly, depending you how far you run. If you are running regularly, you should replace your shoes every 8 months at minimum.
    -Ok, so I lied. The second thing you want is good socks. I prefer Thorlios, but any technical running sock will do. Running in cotton socks will destroy your feet.
    -Also, this may not be as much of a problem for you, but getting good moisture wicking technical clothing for longer runs will help reduce chaffing.
    -Sign up for local races. Nearly every metro area has some kind of charity 5K every weekend. Check lots of different sites, but USAFT.com and RunCalendar.com are good starters. This helps keep motivation high, and runners are very positive people who tend to be very supportive of each other on races.
    -Visit sites like Active.com and Runnersworld.com and visit the forums there. Lots of people there can answer specific questions you may have, and both sites have lots of free resources available to use.
    -Above all, keep at it, and before you know you'll be tackling half marathons!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Make sure you are stretching as many muscles in your body prior to your run. Write the alphabet with each foot, without moving your leg, so that you are flexing your ankle & foot joints; pull your foot to your butt to stretch your quads; stand on the edge of a sidewalk/curb and force your heals down to stretch your calves, bend deep to the side to stretch your side muscles (I get a stitch if I don't do this), pull your arms over your head & touch your shoulder blades. Just do as much stretching as possible for a great and healthy run. Oh and awesome music, tunes that really make you feel good or have a good beat, are a must!
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    small, attainable goals with each run. you can do more than you think. evenwhen you think you're taking your last breathe, visualize jogging 5 more steps or running to that tree ahead before you slow to a walk or if you're on a treadmill, try and go another .10 of mile before you slow for a walk. There is no shame in walking between jogs either. This is what i did when i first started running and I'm 6 marathons in, my friend. Keep on running :)
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Thanks for all the help everyone :)
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    bump
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    please ignore any advice telling you to breath in through your nose. Unless you have a VERY big nose this will only suffocate you and has no benefits, aside from not getting bugs in your mouth on summer evenings.
This discussion has been closed.