SAHM 5/3 - 5/9

Options
DrBorkBork
DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
We are a group of FABULOUS sahm's who are committed to our good health goals. We are informal but do challenge each other too. and we totally get the unique roles we play and the struggles that follow in trying to get fit and take care of our families and homes. :) come join the conversation at any time. we welcome newcomers!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    Options
    Welcome to a new week, SAHM sisters! Let's make the most of it & Carpe some Diem!

Nicole, how did your race go?

I get to see my diabetes doc in a few hours. Can't wait. Dropped another 20 lbs since I last saw her in Feb.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone ! I hope you had a great weekend!

MY race was awesome!!! It was so beautiful! I didn't run my best time, but I didn't run my worst either. I was pleased with it!

Trish- how was your TM 5k?
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    argh! I left my account open last night while I was cooking dinner and it appears one of my *darling* children managed to delete it.
    I didn't have any info I wanted to keep, which is good. Just had to make a new account this morning!

Have a great day everyone!
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, had a blast this weekend camping and doing The Ave 10k. It was so exciting to be a part of all the excitment and I can't wait to get better at running, I felt so much better then I thought when I first started just a few weeks ago.

Nicole- i'm so bummed we didn't get to meet up, the only bad thing about the redwoods they block all kinds of cell phone reception! Glad you had a good race, I can't wait for next year already... just beautiful place to run!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Glad you had such a good race, Nicole. I did my TM 5k in 47 mins-- 15 mins off my first 5k time!

Had a good visit with my diabetes doc. She was very happy with my progress. I was kinda bummed that my hA1c was only 7. I was hoping for a 6.5. Next time. I dropped 22 lbs since I last saw her, and intend to do so again.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Shera- I know! I didn't have much service either! Thye have another race at the same spot in October, a full, 1/2 and a 5k. It looks much smaller than yesterdays races.

Trish- Cool on the TM run!!!!!!! and the doc appt!
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Great job Trish! Baby steps girl, your hA1c may not have come down as much as you were hoping but it came down!! Do the happy dance your doing awsome!

Hummm many things to ponder Nicole ...another race in oct in the redwoods would be great. I've already given the SF 1/2 marathon a thought but I just don't know, those hills scare me. My best good friend wants me to do it with her??? That would give me 12 weeks to prepare for it AHHH decisions, decisions..thank god today is a rest day HAHAH I love how it's so easy for me to tell you to go for the full marathon, here I am a big baby about the 1/2 ROFL :laugh:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    :bigsmile: Shera-SF 1/2? woah! 12 weeks? WOAH! I am not that brave! It takes my body longer to train! Sounds cool though! How about this? Run the redwoods marathon with me in October!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sassyg
    Options
    oh boy, you're one up on me on even considering a 1/2!
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Well today sure has been an interesting day. I think I mentioned last week my hip had been bothering me? Well finally went to see a dr. Hubby has been nagging me and it has been getting worse so I bit the bullet and went in.

I am officially off the walking/running crew now. I have arthritis in my hip. At 38--seems crazy. My hips were dislocated when I was born so I guess that sets me up for this situation. So he said to take Aleve instead of Advil and see you in a month. Needless to say I just cried when I got out of there. I LOVE to walk/jog. Especially when I get down. He did say I could swim, ride a stationary bike(which I hate), or do a stair machine. None of those seem to sound right but I guess I will have to try.

So okay girls how do I do this? How can I still workout and not hurt myself worse? I don't want to give up but it sure feels like there is no way to make this happen. Of course right now it hurts so much that I cannot do a thing until it starts to feel better.

Going to bed--just exhausted from the whole thing.

Kim
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Regular docs are crocs. Find an amazing chiropractor (one who specializes in sports medicine would be a bonus). I'm convinced that my chiropractor can fix ANYTHING!
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    WOW, I have been so busy this past week with working from home, yard work, and the kids, I've been trying to keep up with reading all your posts, just have never had time to respond.

Trish-WTG on the weight loss, I bet your doc was so happy to see that, your doing great.

Nicole and Shera-great job on your races, considering doing more, I need to get out there and just do it, we have several 5K's here throughout the year, there always during my daughter's soccer season though, I'll have to find time to squeeze one in.

Kim-I would definitely get a 2nd opinion somewhere, maybe a specialized doctor and not just a general? Some are just stuck in their ways, start asking around, I know my mother-in-law broke her hip when she was in her early 50's, and she didn't even go to the doctor, because she thought she bruised it, 2 wks later come to find out she had broken it, and it had already started healing, so doc said to either let it heal or re-break it and fix it, well she elected to let it heal, it does cause her problems, but he told her of exercises she can do, and to keep moderately active, walking was good for her, so I'm thinking you need a 2nd opinion. Good Luck!!!

We are working on building an outdoor kitchen in the backyard next to the deck, so excited, we spend lots of time outside in the summer, and love cooking and eating out there. So our yard makeover is almost complete, will be so glad to be done with it.

Well lots of work to do already, hope everyone is doing well!!!!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Well today sure has been an interesting day. I think I mentioned last week my hip had been bothering me? Well finally went to see a dr. Hubby has been nagging me and it has been getting worse so I bit the bullet and went in.

I am officially off the walking/running crew now. I have arthritis in my hip. At 38--seems crazy. My hips were dislocated when I was born so I guess that sets me up for this situation. So he said to take Aleve instead of Advil and see you in a month. Needless to say I just cried when I got out of there. I LOVE to walk/jog. Especially when I get down. He did say I could swim, ride a stationary bike(which I hate), or do a stair machine. None of those seem to sound right but I guess I will have to try.

So okay girls how do I do this? How can I still workout and not hurt myself worse? I don't want to give up but it sure feels like there is no way to make this happen. Of course right now it hurts so much that I cannot do a thing until it starts to feel better.

Going to bed--just exhausted from the whole thing.

Kim

(((hugs)))
    for one thing, no major decisions need to be made right now while you are in pain. you're not clear-headed.
    when the pain subsides, then you can think thru options. swimming would be great--as an all-over cardiovascular and muscle toner. (read Dara Torres autobio for inspiration!). and trish is rt--that you should at least consider seeing a chiropractor. there may be addnl ways to ease your pain and allow for greater range of mvmt.
    ((hugs)) again my sahm sister. drink your water, take that med, and rest your body. :flowerforyou:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    can't type much, but read it all.
    congrats to all of you--from racing, to dropping pounds to improve diabetes, for re-establishing an account to getting your yard in order.

you are AMAZING women!!
    gotta go
  • staceyw37
    Options
    trish--are you still thinking the 15th? we can totally meet you in St George--hubby will even join us (maybe). my kids are so excited for a day trip there--we all love that place!

so let me know if that will really work for you.--kitchen, puzzles and maybe princess dresses too. :)
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Stacey, Sure I will mention it to hubs. Can you measure the kitchen so we can figure out how to fit it in Dave? Dimensions will determine if it's a family trip for us or if I'm picking it up by myself.
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Okay so maybe I need to clarify. I didn't go to my general--went to an orthopedic doc and he did x-rays and such. Hubby is a vet and he got to see the x-rays. He verified what the dr was seeing. No comments about me being an animal please! I was way emotional yesterday--tired and tired of hurting, disappointed in what he said and how it lined up with my goals. This will be a challenge but what isn't.

Today I do feel better using the Aleve instead of Advil. So that is a good thing. I haven't had nearly as much pain & I am taking it as easy as possible. Did I mention my oldest is graduating in 10 days & we have a party to pull together. :) There is always something.

Thanks for all the encouragement & ((hugs)). Trish--glad that your dr visit went well--keep up the good work! To everyone else get out there and enjoy the spring weather. It is beautiful here. Oh and walk/run a little for me cause I am taking it easy. :)

Kim
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Curlie, I'd still find an awesome chiro. He can really help with therapy. Is no fun to get worked on during appointment, but I always feel like a million bucks after wards!
  • sassyg
    Options
    Hi Kim

A few things I know of that you may find helpful, although they're not proven, just showing signs of being of assistance and more research is needed, are:

Omega-3 oils
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate

Just check they're not going to interfere with any other medications first.

Rest up for a bit, but there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to carry on with mild exercise once you're managing the pain and feeling up to it.

*hugs* to you. My mum has arthritis too.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    gm! trying to figure out what's most important to do today. why is it that cleaning the house is always high up on the list--it is outta control!

goals--drink lots and lots of water!
    fold, then one load whites and one load of colors
    mail gift to mil
    MOP
    clean 1 bathrm or fish tank
    do something outside and fun with ds!

have a great Wednesday!!