Am i really that size?

Options

Replies

• charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So i'm a 5ft 6 female and i've lost 31lbs (2st 3lbs)

I currently weigh 167lbs (11st 13lbs) and used to weigh 198lbs (14st 2lbs)

I used to be a UK dress size 16 (US 12) but then i recently found myself fitting into my old UK 14's (US 10)

however, after dropping the last 5lbs I went shopping and found myself fitting into size 12's (US 8)
    sometimes they were a bit tight but they fitted nevertheless.

i feel like i weigh too much to be able to be this size and part of me wonders if maybe i'm just kidding myself??

Any thoughts on this and has anyone has similar experiences?

I weigh 160-162 and I wear a size 8, sometimes a 6/10... just depends on the brand.. accept it :)

I find this extremely hard to believe...are you taller than 5'6'' and are you talking about UK sizes?
    I am 5'6'' and it's US sizing (well I am in Canada, but anyways)
    And it's true... I also wear a small/medium top! and I have a gross twin belly that is getting hacked off later this year... sooooo I would be smaller then!

Ahhh now you say US sizing it makes more sense!!

Well I was wondering why you wouldn't believe me!! I was a bit confused :) I have NO IDEA how UK sizing works :)

According to the internet, UK sizes are roughly 2 sizes bigger than US sizes (the number i mean) so your US size 8 would be a UK size 12...a size 8 in the UK is a size 2 US ...which is why i was like what???!!! lol

I carry 30 lbs in my boobs? HEHE!!!!!

How on earth do you know that? Im kinda scared to know the answer, but intrigued...did you just plop them on the scales ? LOL

I was kidding... that's why the ? after the comment :) I was just trying to figure out how I could be 160 and fit in a US size 2 LOL

Oh sorry-forgive me its 3am here! LOL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 133lbs. Went shopping a couple days ago and took 2 sz.8 and 1 sz.6 (US) dresses in the changing room; they all fit perfectly. I have everything in my closet from 4's to 12's..........think I might be secure enough now to get rid of the 12's.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am naturally a more muscular build so I'm sure a lot is muscle. I definitely have some fat to loose too. :/
    Everyone just carries their weight differently. I am similar. I am 5"3.5' and weigh 165. I wear a size 8. I have a few 6's too. :)

Is your 165 muscle or fat though? because i can see athletes who are technically obese using BMI fitting into small sizes because they are lean. On your profile pic you look way skinner than me and i am 5'6'' and 162 lbs. (ignore profile pic-this is me when i weighed 131 lbs)
  • mnqi
    mnqi Posts: 36
    Options
    I would love to be a UK size 16 ;) good luck.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't want to burst anyone's bubble but dress sizes vary in every single store. I can fit into a size 12 at H&M and a size 18 at Macy's. So I would like to say that I am a size 12 :P
  • charliemarie923
    Options
    Don't want to burst anyone's bubble but dress sizes vary in every single store. I can fit into a size 12 at H&M and a size 18 at Macy's. So I would like to say that I am a size 12 :P

Yeh thats true ...i cant even get a pair of Jane Norman jeans up my legs. But for most stores i am the same size...although some fit better than others.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 14 now and 220 lbs. When I was in high school, I was a size 14 and 180 lbs. I chalk it up to strength training.

*edited to add - I'm talking about US sizes. And I'm just under 6 ft tall.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Size varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. What is a size 12 made in Pakistan is different than a size 12 made in Honduras.
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    I think ur waist also depends on how u exercise because i lost weight before and when i was at the weight i am now i wore bigger size. Now that im doing a lot of exercising this time im in a smaller size jeans at this weight i love it!
  • cat_s85
    cat_s85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    UK sizes are awful. I'm 5'8 and 144lb (10 stone 4) and according to UK guidelines and my real measurements I'm an 8 on the top and a 14 on the bottom. I'm a size 10-12 on the bottom, and to get into a size 8 I would have to have a boob and hip bone removal :)
    Shop around and ignore the label, clothes that fit well will make you look smaller anyway, than something too big or too small. Be proud of yourself and keep up the good work!
  • charliemarie923
    Options
    I think ur waist also depends on how u exercise because i lost weight before and when i was at the weight i am now i wore bigger size. Now that im doing a lot of exercising this time im in a smaller size jeans at this weight i love it!

Especially if youre toned youll get into a smaller size
  • charliemarie923
    Options
    UK sizes are awful. I'm 5'8 and 144lb (10 stone 4) and according to UK guidelines and my real measurements I'm an 8 on the top and a 14 on the bottom. I'm a size 10-12 on the bottom, and to get into a size 8 I would have to have a boob and hip bone removal :)
    Shop around and ignore the label, clothes that fit well will make you look smaller anyway, than something too big or too small. Be proud of yourself and keep up the good work!

This cracked me up-hip bone removal :) Just out of interest where did you find out that youre meant to be an 8 on top and 14 bottom-i might check it out
  • cat_s85
    cat_s85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

This cracked me up-hip bone removal :) Just out of interest where did you find out that youre meant to be an 8 on top and 14 bottom-i might check it out

When it comes to online shopping and they say check out our 'size guide', my measurements are 34-27-40, which on most UK sites are 8-10-14, lol, whatever!!
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Pffft! That's nothing. I weigh 196 and just bought a pair of pants (business suit bottoms, no stretch) in a size 8. Your weight and your size aren't always going to seem like they are in line/what they should be. I was trying stuff on with my mom, who weighs about 135, when I bought the pants, and she fit the pants too. As a matter of fact, she bought a pair I had tried on (in an 8), but didn't like because, even though they fit perfectly, the material was too heavy. She is normally a 6/8. So that means, at 60lbs lighter than me, we're almost the same size. How ya' like them apples?
  • innerthinneria
    Options
    I know, I struggled with this as well. I am very short 4'10 and a size10. I have dropped about 11lbs but still in size 10. However, they do fit a little loser and I went down a size in tops. I hold most of my weight in my tummy anyway so I know it's going to take me a little longer to see progress there...and I have what some might call a badonkadonk
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Completely understand your thoughts. I started at 245lbs, UK 22, now I am 202lbs, UK 16. I honestly can't see a difference and thought that once I had achieved a 16 I would be happy! Now, more than ever, I am committed to uncovering my abs and having a strong body.
  • kirsty736
    kirsty736 Posts: 65
    Options
    Not unless I'm kidding myself too lol, I have similar stats and I'm mostly wearing 12s now.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. I am only slightly heavier at 12 stone and my size 14s (UK) are getting a bit loose.

Another half stone and I expect to squeeze inill the to my size 12s, but I think it will be a whole stone till the 12s fit nicely.
  • sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    and how tall are you?
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Same experience at Target last night, actually. I was a size 10/12 before getting in shape, and even though I've only lost 18-24 pounds (been weirdly going up and down lately), I'm lingering in a 4L! So strange. I actually bought small yoga pants last night. I'm still pinching myself.