This is BS - 70 days and this is it?

Options

Replies

• 24redwine
    24redwine Posts: 43
    Options
    Exercise....you don't have to do anything extereme, but you need to get some cardio and strength training in several days per week. It's not just about weight loss -- it's about HEALTH. Start with brisk walking, 30 minutes minimum. Put some music on (iPOD) and enjoy the fresh air and the natural high and empowerment that come with it.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to go "cold turkey" from sugar, OP... just cutting out sweetened drinks will have a huge effect. Fruits and the occasional treat haven't harmed my weight loss one bit.
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I'm going to have to agree with the comments about the amount of processed foods and high sodium foods you're eating. No veggies or fruits most days. No breakfast.

I'm no expert but I recommend eating a healthy breakfast and filling up on salads, veggies, and fruits so you won't crave the higher fat foods. Also, I too have noticed faster weight loss since I started eating more protein.

Exercise is crucial as well...and enjoyable when you get used to it.

Also, 60 oz of water is not enough. The recommended amount is half of your body weight in ounces.

Good luck!
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Do not be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do. Do cardio, resistance train, and eat healthy.
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    I don't think you need to go "cold turkey" from sugar, OP... just cutting out sweetened drinks will have a huge effect. Fruits and the occasional treat haven't harmed my weight loss one bit.

Agree, I'm in Baking and Pastry school..i.e. I eat sweets!! But I fit it into my macros and I'm still losing weight.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Agree, I'm in Baking and Pastry school..i.e. I eat sweets!! But I fit it into my macros and I'm still losing weight.

If you are young enough, and not seriously obese, a little sugar can be okay. But I'm guessing that OP is not in that category.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    you need to stop getting so many calories from drinks.

I agree with this. Drop the creamer in you coffee and you will already drop a quarter of a pounds a week. If you can get rid of the sugar and go with straight black coffee, that's even more calories saved. Same with soda, go for water at least until you have the diet under control.

The other thing I noticed is that you seem to be eating out a lot, and going to starbucks. You can never fully trust what they are telling you because exact portions are not being controlled. If you want to eat out so much, you really need to get exercise in to counter it.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    A food scale would be helpful. But your protein and fiber counts are way too low. My minimums are 100g of protein and 20g fiber. How much fluids are you taking in? I do not always drink plain water but track all fluids to get to a 12 glass minimum. The foods you are eating look like they are high in sodium so you need a lot more fluids. As far as calories go you could go with a TDEE less 30% since you have more than 50 to lose. I was at less 30% and just changed to less 25% after dropping 11 1/2 pounds in the last 2 months. Good Luck and I hope you get it figured out.:flowerforyou:
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was plenty obese.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Food scale is great but tbh, I've lost weight perfectly fine without it and so have a lot of other people... you just need to get off your butt and move around.

If you are grossly under estimating what you are eating (especially if you eat out a lot, a lot of restaurants under estimate the calories in their food by a good bit) no matter how much you exercise you may not lose weight.

I checked out her food diary and most of the things she is consuming don't require much measurement (e.g. one brand dinner roll). If you make poor food choices, you won't lose weight no matter if you measure 1 slice of toast on a food scale.. If she worked out more, she would be likely to see the scale or measurements move. Doing nothing in fact does nothing. Getting a food scale to measure things that are already pre-determined will not change the funk she is in.

She likely DOES need to weigh her food for a while because she is probably unaware that she is eating so much because of her likely leptin-resistance. (Most obese folk have it and seriously obese women almost certainly have it.)

How do you weigh a bun? A Starbucks coffee? What about this:
    Eggs - Poached (whole egg), 2 large 147 1 13 10 0
    Home-Made - Brioche, 1 slice 150 0 0 0 0
    Meat - Schneiders Bacon, 4 slices raw 360 0 12 34 0
    Homemade - Holandaise, 1/4 Cup 130 1 3 14 0
    Tropicana Orange Juice - No Pulp Orange Juice, 500 ml 220 52 4 0 0
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz) 2 0 0 0 0
    Condiment - Sugar - Golden Yellow , 4 tsp (4g) 60 16 0 0 0
    Cream - Half and half, 2 tbsp
    Sunchips - Harvest Cheddar (40g Bag From Label), 40 gram bag 200 26 3 9 3
    Subway 6 Inch - Turkey Breast & Ham on Flatbread W/ Lite Mayo, Cheese & Veggies, 237 (g) 400 44 19 7 3
    Cola - Cola; Coke Zero, 16.9 oz Bottle, 16.9 fl oz

It's already predetermined and she seems fairly aware to me.. most of her diary is composed of things that don't need to be weighed. If she exercised more and perhaps cut out some things, she would be fine. Food scales are used for things like meat, vegetables, nuts, etc that aren't already pre-determined or can't be used with a dry measure. All I have at home are dry and wet measuring cups and spoons. It's not rocket science.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of processed, high-sodium food choices in your diary - Subway bread, poutine, etc, all can cause water retention that can inhibit weight loss. I'd start small - cut the regular soda and the high-calorie morning coffee out in favor of fruits, vegetables, salads. These will help you feel fuller for less calories.

I agree to a certain extent, mainly about the processed food...not so much the sodium. You seem to be eating a lot of processed carbs/foods and very little in the way of fresh vegetables and GOOD fats (coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, etc) . The food you are eating is very low in nutrition so your body is crying out for vitamins and minerals.

If it didn't come from the ground or have a mother, then you shouldn't eat it. If your great grandmother didn't eat it then you shouldn't either. If it has a brand name and more than four ingredients (or any ingredients you can't pronounce or have no idea what it is), then it's probably not good for you.
    You can't out-exercise a poor diet.

Start here, especially section 2.2:
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/how-to-lose-weight/?awt_l=7FQz.&awt_m=3cjDnKJIH1tPHST
    and another great article here:
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/food-advertising-tricks/
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Anyone who has been alive for 5 seconds knows that the number of calories is all that counts when it comes to losing weight, not the actual nutritional value of the food. Sorry in advance for those I might be offending.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • Ciapa
    Ciapa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

You seem to be like me in the sense you love your Starbucks, your chocolate and hate cooking (and Canadian too). When I first joined Fitness Pal in September of 2012 I decided to quit drinking alcohol for 3 months and cook at home in efforts to save money. Quitting alcohol (essentially sugar) and eating home cooked meals led me to lose 24 pounds. When I started eating sugar and alcohol again even if it was within my calorie allowance, I gained 5 pounds. If you tried cutting out processed sugar for 3 weeks, I bet you would start to see the results.
    Here are some other things I did which may or may not have influenced the loss:

Goats milk instead of cows milk
    100 rye bread
    Lactose free yogurt
    Rice pasta

And here's a laugh....my Starbucks order?

Grande
    Decaf
    Solo
    Half sweet vanilla
    Soy
    Extra hot
    No foam
    Latte

Sally
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Anyone who has been alive for 5 seconds knows that the number of calories is all that counts when it comes to losing weight, not the actual nutritional value of the food. Sorry in advance for those I might be offending.

You have the right to an opinion but I definitely disagree with this. Nutritional value is indeed relevant to losing weight.. especially if you do the gain muscle/lose fat approach. You can eat McDonalds everyday and lose weight (that happened to me) but end up skinny fat and jiggly.
  • lizlo76
    lizlo76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercise!!!

Stop drinking your calories.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Looking at that there's some better switches she could make. Water instead of coffee (unless you need caffeine) and orange juice (eating an actual orange would make you feel fuller) and switching to a low calorie sweetener like stevia to add to coffee.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

You have the right to an opinion but I definitely disagree with this. Nutritional value is indeed relevant to losing weight.. especially if you do the gain muscle/lose fat approach. You can eat McDonalds everyday and lose weight (that happened to me) but end up skinny fat and jiggly.

Idk about that. You end up skinny fat when u either diet all ur weight off with no exercise or don't lift weights & eat enough calories. If you eat enough & lift weights,you're gonna be fine no matter what you eat. Thouugh how much does matter.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    No matter what, dont give up! I have only lost 6 lbs. in 4 months..it has been slow!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

But you are only 26 years old. The damage that sugar does is progressive. What works for one obese person may not work for another. I had to cut out sugar to "fix" what was wrong with me.
  • DMB147
    DMB147 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know it hard (I m catholic and lent did this for me) Cut out Tim Horton ALL TOGETHER. Drink a glass of water and eat breakfast within 45 minutes of waking.

Process foods are gross. Tempting but not necessary. I still eat some but not like I used to.

Every coffee I drink I drink a glass a water (I have a desk job too) If you have tot go to the bathroom more OH WELL.

I take water with me where ever I go. That way I won't put pop or ice capp inmy cup holder.

Make you food happy and color. I did a study that colorful food trick themind and it does work, and I bring RAW fruit or veggie everyday to work for a snack

I do break down but I don't give up I recently start a bet with a friend to walk 3 miles a day, Goals like that help

RED BULL= NONO ....enough said

I made a ice coffee that 180 cals cause Tim Horton large capp hot was over 400!!!!
    8oz silk chocolate light milk
    2Tbl of instant coffe
    Torani flavor syrup (0 cals) 2T (found in grocery store)
    Blend
    pour over ice or put ice in it

Its good for 180 cals!
    (personal small blender 14 bucks)