GymPact: Anyone tried it?

GymPact is an app in which the participants make a pact of a 5 minimum dollars to go to the gym for "x" amount of days per week. If you don't make your limit, you owe them 5 but if you do reach your goal you get paid between .50-.75 per workout. So if you work out for 5 days out of the weeks, for example, you could earn 2.50 dollars a week, which doesn't seem like much, but for those who work out regularly, it's just free money, basically. Has anyone tried it?

Replies

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Does it work via GPS? What's stopping someone from logging their house as their gym and "checking in" for free money? Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea though
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Does it work via GPS? What's stopping someone from logging their house as their gym and "checking in" for free money? Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea though
    Yeah it's GPS or calculated with RunKeeper so it can keep track for those who work out outside. I mean, I guess you could "cheat" if you go to the gym and sit there, but where's the fun in that?

http://www.gym-pact.com/
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    I use it. The idea of paying money if I don't hit the gym has definitely gotten my butt there on some days when I could have just as easily went home and vegged out. I love it!
  • kassiebby1124
    I use it. The idea of paying money if I don't hit the gym has definitely gotten my butt there on some days when I could have just as easily went home and vegged out. I love it!
    I'm just concerned about if my credit card information is safe?
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member

I haven't had any problems.. Love the app, even cashed out a couple of times already.
  • kassiebby1124

I haven't had any problems.. Love the app, even cashed out a couple of times already.
    Awesome okay (: I guess I'll go ahead and join. Any names you want me to refer for?
  • UpsideMeagan

There's a "home workout" option now, but you have to be wearing your phone (in like an armband) and be moving at a certain pace/amount of time for it to register as a workout.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member

There's a "home workout" option now, but you have to be wearing your phone (in like an armband) and be moving at a certain pace/amount of time for it to register as a workout.
    Interesting! I might give it a shot, I just don't want my money from a missed workout to go to some couch potato who just checks in while watching Family Guy re-runs on hulu.
  • kassiebby1124
    RunKeeper c:
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    i just signed up over the weekend but I forgot to check in at the gym tonight :(
  • UpsideMeagan

Awesome okay (: I guess I'll go ahead and join. Any names you want me to refer for?

I think you get $5 to start if you sign up under this link: http://tw-anaermeaga.gym-pact.com/

It's a referral link, but I think it's okay to link here 'cause I don't get anything for referring you.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    It's worth a shot - personally, I decided I didn't like it after a couple months. If I forgot my phone, not only did I have to run or lift without music but I also missed a gympact workout. It's also kind of crazy to me that they were giving me like 50c/workout (if that...that was the high end) but charging $5 for a missed one...at that rate, it took me at least 10 workouts to make up for 1 missed one.