pre and post workout nutrition

Options
Hi,

I've been researching how many grams of protein to eat both pre and post workout and based on this http://www.powerbar.com/articles/509/recovery-get-your-questions-answered.aspx article it says 15-20 grams post and then also says carbs need to be 1.1 grams per kilo.

I am trying to lose body fat and gain muscle so I'm not sure if this amount of carbs is required post workout? I normally workout between breakfast and lunch so i have a small snack after working out (today it was shaved turkey and low Cal yoghurt) which got me to 15 grams of protein but only 1-2 grams of carbs.

First question is how many grams of carbs and protein post workout are required when u are trying to lose fat percentage? And second question is do I really need to worry too much as I am getting plenty of protein throughout the day?

Replies

• MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    This is a complicated question because everyone is so different but I will give my best advice. First, don't be afraid to experiment a little.

Second, losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously is tough but it can be done. I absolutely think post workout is the most crucial time to get in everything. If you're goal is fat loss, you probably don't want to have too much on your stomach but have enough fuel where you can still perform well and be able to workout intensely.

I think getting in a good amount of carbs and protein post workout is crucial for muscle gain as well as getting in some other things like amino acids and glutamine.

I like to have a shake immediately after my workout consisting of 20 grams of whey protein, 10 grams of BCAA's, 5 grams of glutamine, and sometimes some creatine. While I'm drinking my shake I eat a banana with it. Then about an hour later I have another meal. Some sort of protein (chicken, fish, beef) with more starchy carbs like rice or a sweet potato. Then I may back off the carbs the rest of the day and go with more vegetable and fruits.

So to answer your questions, I'm not sure exactly how much carb to take in post workout. Just experiment a little maybe with the banana and see how you feel and continue to monitor fat loss. If it does great, if not then maybe try not taking in the carbs immediately. As far as protein goes, If you're lifting weights several days a week, 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight should be fine and thats probably the best place to start.

Sorry for all the mess. Feel free to ask other questions if you think I may be more help. Best of luck. :)