Breakfasts (Clean eating or close to)

Options
Hey all, just realised today that what I eat for breakfast is way too much! I never realised that wholegrain bread had so many calories!

Anyhow I wanted some easy breakfast ideas. I have 3 kids so the mornings before school are crazy hectic and I am always starving when I wake up so have to eat right away, which means that breakfast needs to be super easy to prepare and as close to clean eating as possible (I'm trying to start the whole family on a clean eating lifestyle). I've been a toast and coffee girl for so long that it's seriously going to be hard to adjust!

Can anyone help a girl out, PLEASE!

Tam x

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    skip it and look into lean gains...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You can boil some eggs the night before so everyone can have a nice protein boost in the morning. I love eggs and coffee. Two large boiled eggs with a few cubes of cheese on the side and I am good to go.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I alternate between these two nummy protein and fiber-rich breakfasts, both under 200 calories:

Oatmeal with fruit! -- 1/4 cup dry + 1/2 c water + 4 oz frozen blueberries (organic, of course) 3 minutes in the microwave with a dash of Stevia and voila!
    ----
    Veggie Omeletes! 1 egg + 4 oz of mushrooms or spinach or eggplant or red peppers, or leftover bok choy, or green beans, + 1 tbsp of parmesan cheese.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Two eggs sunny side up, 2 cups spinach, 1/2 cup shelled edamame, whole tomato. Morning snack, small or medium banana.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Crockpot cooked steel cut oats. It'll be ready in the morning. I had some this morning and added peanut butter and bananas. YUM.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sarah lee hearty and delicious bread has 90cal. :drinker:
  • MrsWells1983
    Options
    All awesome ideas! Thanks!!! :smile:
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    egg beaters 1/2 cup 60 cal
    butter ball turkey bacon 2 pcs 35 cal
    1/2 light english muffin 50 cal
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    3 egg whites scrambled with sauteed spinach and 1/8 cup feta cheese or mozzarella. YUM!
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would say porridge with fruit in it-can be made with water or milk and the kids would like ready break ...i think
  • hotteacherchick
    Options
    Essential Eating Sprouted Wheat Cereal 1 serving, fresh sliced strawberries (up to 1 c.) under 200 calories.
    Super yummy and filling and 94% of your whole grains for the day!
  • Coach_EdMcLaughlin
    Options
    Egg whites are good, oatmeal is good, shredded wheat is good. My wife and I blend up a meal replacement shake with nutrients called Shakeology. Chocolate flavor is good and so is the tropical strawberry. What is your overall goal with health and fitness?
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Cheerios

Per 1 cup...100 calories, 2 grams fat, 20 grams carbs (3 grams fiber), 3 grams protein.

Can't get any easier than that.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill Muesli and a splash of milk, yum!

http://www.bobsredmill.com/old-country-style-muesli.html

1/4 c. seem small for a serving size but it is very filling. Seriously, I can eat an entire box of regular cereal (which is why I don't eat it!) but this stuff - no way.
  • MrsWells1983
    Options
    Forgot to add I'm in Australia and am looking to drop about 35kg (about 77 pounds). I guess I was looking at a breakfast around the 150-200 cal mark. I have PCOS and Insulin resistance too.

I'm looking to get back into training for a women's triathlon which is in November (200m swim/10km bike/2km run) and beat my PB from last year (1hr5min) which I did when I was about 7kg lighter than I am now.

I'm guessing protein should be a huge thing for breakfasts and I know I don't eat anywhere near enough of it during the day. Boiling up eggs and keeping them in the fridge sounds like a start!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Tam x
  • JessXOVanity
    Options
    2 Weet-bix with skim milk - literally 140cals and keeps u full enough

otherwise I fast for the morning
  • charliemarie923
    Options
    2 Weet-bix with skim milk - literally 140cals and keeps u full enough

otherwise I fast for the morning

I thought you were meant to have a bigger breakfast more than anything else? Or is that just a myth? Not that i do that myself, but still...lol
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Some people may disagree with this, but after reading the book "The 400 calorie fix", I've come to understand (and find true in my life) that 300 - 400 calories is really the benchmark of a satisfying meal. Obviously, this is assuming they are not empty calories. If you're on a 1200 calorie diet, this means you eat three 400 calorie meals. If it is a 1600 calorie diet (what I do), it's more like three 400 calorie meals and two 200 calorie snacks.

I find when I eat less than 300 calories for breakfast, I'm tempted to have a HUGE snack around 10am.

My favorite 300 calorie breakfast is a cup of oatmeal with sugar free syrup and a tablespoon of sliced almonds and a coffee with milk and splenda. Sometimes I throw in a banana for an extra 100 calories of energy.

You're right about one thing...toast is often less satisfying than it should be for as many calories as it contains. But I do love me some bread in the morning!!!
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Since you're trying to eat clean, you might want to omit the sugar free syrup and splenda since these are artificial. I personally can't get by without a little calorie free sweetener in my life.
  • charliemarie923
    Options
    Since you're trying to eat clean, you might want to omit the sugar free syrup and splenda since these are artificial. I personally can't get by without a little calorie free sweetener in my life.

What does 'eat clean' mean?