Losing 30% body fat in 3 months to a year possible?

Options
This may sound silly, but can you lose 30% body fat in less than a year? I'm about 47% and I want to get down to 18%. With strength training in general and eating at a deficit, would I see changes in 3 months, if anything? I know body fat goes down by eating less, but paired with cardio and lifting, can I "speed" the process along?

Replies

• stephanieadorman
    stephanieadorman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost 20% of my weight in 3 months. :) I haven't been paying attention to body weight percentage though, but I'd say it's doable.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Hm. I don't mind so much the weight as I do inches and fat
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    That is SO inspiring, oh my goodness. You look great. and that was just from eating right and lifting?
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I need to find out what percent of body fat I'm dealing with. I'm terrified to hear the number/truth. I am quite sure that you can do it girl!!! Stay motivated and positive!!! Good luck!
  • stephanieadorman
    Options
    That is SO inspiring, oh my goodness. You look great. and that was just from eating right and lifting?

My eating is kinda MEH sometimes. And I don't actually lift. My secret has been a boxing club near me. (Title Boxing - although I suppose LA works as well :-P )

The work outs are really what does it. You have 15 minutes of intense cardio to start, then 30 minutes of 3 minute reps of different boxing repetitions - then 15 minutes of core.

It's really upped my inches lost, and I've found I can still pretty much eat what I want. (For instance, tonight I had hamburger helper. lol)
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Gosh I wish I could box
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I went from 42% to 18% in 3 years. If you are dedicated to diet, lifting and cardio you could probably cut that time in half.
  • stephanieadorman
    Options
    Gosh I wish I could box

If you find a club, they teach you! I was so horrible my first couple classes, but now that bag is so my *****!!!!!!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're talking about going from almost 50% body fat down to a quite lean state. It will go quicker at the start but then go very slowly at the end (especially getting to 18%). I would budget a year minimum. Probably more like 2. I've gone from about 42% to 19-20% in almost exactly 2 years as an example (2 years will be the end of this month). A lot of it depends on what you're willing to give up and how consistent you're willing to be.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Well you got to tell us your current weight and body fat.

If you don't feel comfortale you can email it to me and i can tell you how many pounds of fat you want to lose.

I believe she said 47%.. better to focus on BF%/measurements than weight IMO.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I'm aware but thanks for posting that... like I mentioned, measurements/calipers are what people who are focused on BF loss should worry about. Lbs don't mean anything, especially when putting on muscle at the same time. The scale can go up and down everyday and you can have improvements in BF% and overall measurements.

I went from having 59lbs of fat to 40lbs in three months.. I gained about 5lbs of muscle during that period, measurements helped me to realize that when the scale went up 3lbs, my waist was smaller. I'm sure glad I didn't focus on the lbs but on the measurements or I would have went nuts.

Just my two cents to you OP because you are a woman and our weight fluctuates all the time.. you will go crazy focusing on weight all the time, especially if your monthly cycles are unpredictable.
  • in_this_generation
    in_this_generation Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think we are starting out with similar BF%, and I can't imagine reaching my goal any sooner than the end of the year (likely 1.5years). I don't think I could lose over 20lbs in 3 months but I do not work out as much as you.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Well I mean, I'm in no rush, technically, but I like results fast :P

I current fluctuate in the 190s and my goal "weight" is about 150. I currently where a size 14 and my goal is to be an 8 with a tone physique, if that helps?
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Could it be done in a year..?
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I'm aware but thanks for posting that... like I mentioned, measurements/calipers are what people who are focused on BF loss should worry about. Lbs don't mean anything, especially when putting on muscle at the same time. The scale can go up and down everyday and you can have improvements in BF% and overall measurements.

I went from having 59lbs of fat to 40lbs in three months.. I gained about 5lbs of muscle during that period, measurements helped me to realize that when the scale went up 3lbs, my waist was smaller. I'm sure glad I didn't focus on the lbs but on the measurements or I would have went nuts.

If she has 80lbs of fat to lose to reach her goal is it a realistic goal?
    If she has 20lbs of fat to lose, is it realistic?

I am trying to figure out how many pounds of fat she has, and how many pounds of fat she wil have at her goal body fat %. If it's a lot of fat, is it possible in 3 months? Not likely, if it's not much? yes it's more likely.

That's what she's asking.

I gotcha. At 47%, I imagine it is quite a lot and not something she can lose in 3 months. Maybe 6-9 months. Like I said having been up there before too, I wouldn't focus on the amt of lbs of fat she has to lose.. you can lose 20" and make a significant dent in BF.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Well I mean, I'm in no rush, technically, but I like results fast :P

I current fluctuate in the 190s and my goal "weight" is about 150. I currently where a size 14 and my goal is to be an 8 with a tone physique, if that helps?

SO here is the results assuming you won't lose and LBM(Lean body mass)

Current Stats
    Total Weight: 195 lbs
    Body Fat: 47%
    Pounds Of Fat: 91.65lbs
    Lean Body Mass: 103.35lbs

Goal:This is what your stats would be with 17% body fat.
    Total Weight: 124lbs
    Body Fat: 17%
    Pounds Of Fat: 20.65lbs
    Lean Body Mass: 103.35lbs

Total Fat loss For goal
    91.65 - 20.65 = 71lbs

So you have to lose 71lbs of fat in 3 months? Sorry, not realistic.
    This was my point to the other poster.

I don't get it.. we are making the same point.. all I was saying to OP is to focus on measurements. If I lost 5" off my waist or 2" off my hips, I would be 17%BF and could still be the same weight! She won't have to be 124lbs to be 17%, that's garbage....

EDIT: No offense but that is really upsetting to read!
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I also think it's not possible, it gets harder as you get leaner as well. I started about 33-35% in November and now about 23-24%. The last couple of % points have been slowwwww.

Starting stats: 5ft 3, 137lbs, ~33%-35% BF
    3 months in: 5ft 3, 121lbs, ~26% BF
    5 months in: 5ft 3 (doh, I haven't grown any taller), 117lbs, ~23-24% BF

Why have you picked 18% in particular? I think it might be easier for you to set mini goals and re-assess as you approach 20%? For a woman, 20% is pretty low already.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I also think it's not possible, it gets harder as you get leaner as well. I started about 33-35% in November and now about 23-24%. The last couple of % points have been slowwwww.

Starting stats: 5ft 3, 137lbs, ~33%-35% BF
    3 months in: 5ft 3, 121lbs, ~26% BF
    5 months in: 5ft 3 (doh, I haven't grown any taller), 117lbs, ~23-24% BF

Why have you picked 18% in particular? I think it might be easier for you to set mini goals and re-assess as you approach 20%? For a woman, 20% is pretty low already.
    I picked 18% because that's a general physique of a personal trainer (according to charts) and that's what I want to be