about 5x5 stronglift

Options
hello~:)

first im 5"8 and i weigh 154 pounds.my BF is between 18%~20%

and i want to start 5x5 stronglift

but the thing is i want to lose fats and gain muscle.

is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat?with 5x5 work out?

how should i eat should i eat 1300 calories like the normal diet i do? or just eat my recommended calories 2000~2100?

and yesterday i tried already 5x5 work plan A

but im confused..with the weight.i tried 50 pounds of squat yep i kinda did with good form.

but when i increase it to 80pounds i can do it but the form is terrible.but i just finished 5x5 with 80 pounds with bad form.

though my leg,my *kitten* really feels like i did a great exercise...

so where should i start? start with 50 pounds and increase every section? or go for 85 pounds next section?..

and my plan with this 5x5 work out is not for me to be big.i dont really want to be huge i just want the body that is at 65kg but

very fit body...so can anybody answer my question plz? :)))

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If your form is bad reduce the weight. Once you can get a set weight with good form for 5x5 then the next workout increase the weight by 10LBS.
    Can you gain muscle and loose fat. Stronglifts is a good program. As far as diet, I wouldn't go too low. Shoot for 2000 to 2100 on days you workout and maybe 1800-1900 on the days you don't. Take your waist measurement and again maybe 6 weeks later. If your waist size is increasing then back off the cals. If your waist is staying the same or even decreasing up the cals a little.
  • ldg2779
    ldg2779 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ok...so i still can loose weight even i eat 1800~1900 and 2000~2100 on work days right?
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    if i wer you i would go on a cut before you try and gain some muscle mass.. your body fat % is pretty high, some how your numbers dont make sense but if thts the case i would drop my BF if i were you
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    hello~:)

first im 5"8 and i weigh 154 pounds.my BF is between 18%~20%

That's already a little low for a female. Are you sure that you want to lose fat?

Start with the highest weight you have good form in and only increase each time when you have good form with the next weight up. Did you try anything between 50lbs and 80lbs? I ask because that's quite the jump.
  • ldg2779
    Options
    thanks for the reply...so it's better to go for 1300 diet and when i reach the goal i will start 5x5 work out right?
  • ldg2779
    Options
    oh im sorry for not informing my gender im a guy :D and i still have small belly...:(
  • ldg2779
    Options
    \
    [/quote]

That's already a little low for a female. Are you sure that you want to lose fat?

Start with the highest weight you have good form in and only increase each time when you have good form with the next weight up. Did you try anything between 50lbs and 80lbs? I ask because that's quite the jump.
    [/quote]

oh im sorry for not informing my gender im a guy :D and i still have small belly...:(
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    thanks for the reply...so it's better to go for 1300 diet and when i reach the goal i will start 5x5 work out right?

No, it's fine to start the 5x5 now, but when you lift you should only go into a little bit of a deficit. The calorie schedule that grantdumas7 suggested is ideal. The calorie difference on workout days is easily filled by drinking a post-workout protein shake (great for helping your muscles feel better faster, believe me).
  • ScottishMrs
    Options

Sorry, I said that because I checked your profile and it said that you're female. All of my advice still stands though.
  • ldg2779
    Options
    Sorry, I said that because I checked your profile and it said that you're female. All of my advice still stands though.
    [/quote]

no need to be sorry :))
  • ldg2779
    Options

No, it's fine to start the 5x5 now, but when you lift you should only go into a little bit of a deficit. The calorie schedule that grantdumas7 suggested is ideal. The calorie difference on workout days is easily filled by drinking a post-workout protein shake (great for helping your muscles feel better faster, believe me).

thanks for the idea:)so my muscle will still grow even if i will eat less than i burn right?and i should eat protein just d same as my weight right?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    If your form is bad reduce the weight. Once you can get a set weight with good form for 5x5 then the next workout increase the weight by 10LBS.
    Can you gain muscle and loose fat. Stronglifts is a good program. As far as diet, I wouldn't go too low. Shoot for 2000 to 2100 on days you workout and maybe 1800-1900 on the days you don't. Take your waist measurement and again maybe 6 weeks later. If your waist size is increasing then back off the cals. If your waist is staying the same or even decreasing up the cals a little.

Good advice, couldn't have said it any better
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you just started stronglifts then you should NOT be doing 80 pounds, you should be doing just the bar. The purpose of starting out with the bar is to ensure that your form is correct . Trying to Jump Start the program is not a good idea. Now, if you were already an experienced lifter, his worksheet has a formula to plugin and it will calculate a higher starting weight, but if you plug in the numbers I think it has to be well over a hundred pounds.
    I assume you signed up for his program. It is free, although he will send you emails asking you to join his inner circle. But he also has some good emails with videos of the workouts, interviews with members, etc.
    You can do it on a deficit, but I would suggest that you ensure at least a 1 gram per pound of lean body mass of protein intake a day. There are apps available for ios and Android to record the workouts and give you your automatic porgrsssion based on what you record you did as far as weight and reps etc. Another key is adequate rest between sets, you may need up to 3 minutes to be able to do the entire 5x5 set.
    Mike