Confused about the whole TDEE thing

Options
OK, I went to a few different websites and they say I have a TDEE of 2926 and a BMR of 1886. This was figured with moderate exercise. What should I do with this info? My trainer has suggested a caloric intake of 1700. I am just a little confused. He told me to eat around 1700 calories and not go over 40 grams of sugar. What do you guys think?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the number at which you would neither gain weight or lose weight. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat under that number. Many recommend eating above your BMR. So now it depends on what your weight loss goal is. Some people use TDEE -20%. Or you can aim for 500 calories a day under TDEE to lose about 1 lbs a week, 1000 for 2.
    Edited - I see your goal is 95 or so, you could aim for 1.5 (-750) or 2 lbs (-100) a week.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    OK, I went to a few different websites and they say I have a TDEE of 2926 and a BMR of 1886. This was figured with moderate exercise. What should I do with this info? My trainer has suggested a caloric intake of 1700. I am just a little confused. He told me to eat around 1700 calories and not go over 40 grams of sugar. What do you guys think?

Is your trainer educated in nutrition? If so, I'd do what he/she said and eat around 1700.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you shouldnt really be eating under your BMR.

as you have a fair bit to lose you can probably sustain a large caloric deifict for a while so eating 1900 should see steady weight loss.
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    explaining the 500 calories under TDEE a pound of fat is 3500 calories worth of energy, if you have a 500 calorie deficit below what you require to maintain your weight you should lose 1 lb per week (7x500=3500) this deficit can be created through exercise and through dieting :)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    you shouldnt really be eating under your BMR.

as you have a fair bit to lose you can probably sustain a large caloric deifict for a while so eating 1900 should see steady weight loss.

I agree. Few trainers have proper knowledge of nutrition and their advice is not always the best. If you are working out you need to make sure you have energy and fuel, which at 1700 calories a day you may struggle with.

As for sugar, unless you have a medical condition where you have to watch your sugar then I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein and fat (and within your calorie goal) and the rest will take care of itself.

There are some really useful links here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

There is also some good advice on protein/fat etc here (scroll down to "Setting macro targets"): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am working this out as you weighing about 213lbs?

I am a little under you, at about 203, I'm 5ft 4. I eat 1400 on non exercise days, and (about) 1900 on exercise days.

I did my TDEE and BMR as sedentary and basically eat 1400 plus exercise calories. I lose about 1lb a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I wouldnt worry too much about cutting sugar unless you have diabetes or similar, but definitely cut salt and drink lots of water.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Is your trainer educated in nutrition? If so, I'd do what he/she said and eat around 1700.

His education comes more from military experience and his back ground is more exercise science than in nutrition. I don't doubt his exercise knowledge in the least...I doubt his nutrition knowledge. I get told different things by different trainers in the gym.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I disagree with people saying not to worry about sugar. There is a lot of medical and fitness literature out that says eating too much sugar causes your blood sugar to spike and crash, this is why you're hungrier after eating something w/ high sugar than something w/ same calories/fat/protein but no sugar. It happens to everyone, not just diabetics.

Limiting your sugar also helps w/ cravings if you have a sweet tooth - that I can speak to from experience. Since I've started watching my sugar intake, my cravings for candy and other sweets has diminished greatly.

As for the calories, I would ask your trainer about it specifically. Tell him how you calculated your BMR and that it is 1886 and ask him why he suggested 1700 and if he thinks it's an issue. If he doesn't know nutrition, he probably has some colleagues that do.