Is anyone's partner not on board with your weightloss?

Options
I'm actually single but I was curious about some aspects of weight loss for couples.

Is anyone in a relationship where you both are overweight but you are the only one seriously making changes in your life to lose weight?

How has this affected your relationship?

Do you just have to accept that you can't make someone change and that they will lose when they are ready?

Do you think you can sustain the relationship longterm if you are dedicated to healthy living for life and they are still living with very unhealthy habits?

Has your intimate relationship changed now that you are fit and they are not?

Replies

• EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search

A quick search for "spouse not being supportive" and there are plenty of threads out there... Not an issue I have personally, but I see PLENTY of forum topics regarding unsupportive spouses!
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My husband bought Power 90 for us to do together, but after the first week, I stayed on board and he dropped off completely. To be fair, he has a very busy life with a job that is incredibly demanding. I have fairly easy hours as a teacher.

Nonetheless, sometimes I find myself having to fight getting irritated at him, or worse -- judging him. I'm so lucky to have him in my life in a lot of ways. He's there for me in so much. It's hard to grasp that he might not be ready to make a change. But I'm doing this weight loss thing with my aunts, and one of them this: If you're constantly waiting for somebody else to get on board in order to make the changes you want, you'll never make those changes. Rather, you're just making excuses not to try.

That hit me hard, and from that day forward, I stopped waiting for my husband to want to work out - and I stopped asking him.

For the most part I'm okay with that. I pray that at some point, he'll be jealous of my progress and jump on board.