Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    yes 1-1.5
  • selina884
    Options
    I think its actually 1g of protein for 1 lb of lean mass.

Actually this is under debate.

Lean muscle mass vs total body weight
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options

This^ a little lower or a little higher won't hurt anyone :bigsmile:
  • selina884
    Options
    Unless you're doing some serious body building, 1gm per 1lb is a LOT. I actually think the correct calculation is 1gm per 1kg.

Hope that helps!

please stop posting.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options

Are we talking minimum requirements or optimal? Because If I eat what was the minimum recommended my body compostion suffers and i lose muscle. Thats from expereince.
  • selina884
    Options
    I've been reading that excess protein is stored as fat. I think that may be why the Atkins diet never worked for MY body. Any comments on excess protein being stored as fat?

any excess calories are stored as fat irrespective of what type of macro it is.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've been reading that excess protein is stored as fat. I think that may be why the Atkins diet never worked for MY body. Any comments on excess protein being stored as fat?
    If you were eating excess protein, you weren't really doing Atkins correctly. Atkins is a ketogenic diet which is very-low-carbohydrate, moderate protein and high-fat. If you're not eating under 10% of your calories from carbohydrate, over 65% from fat and roughly 20-25% maximum from protein, you're actually not doing Atkins (or any other LCHF / ketogenic diet) properly.

Excess calories above and beyond the body's overall TDEE will be stored as fat.
    I have 160g of protein each day and strength train 3 times a week cardio 2 times! Is the above post correct? Excess stored as fat?
    Excess calories, regardless of whether fat/protein/carbohydrate will be stored as fat.

Excess protein (above and beyond what the body can convert to amino acids and utilize for the muscle-building/repair process) in a calorie-deficit or maintenance is basically converted to ATP for cellular respiration with waste-by-products pi**ed out in your urine.
  • neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Options
  • selina884
    Options

Are we talking minimum requirements or optimal? Because If I eat what was the minimum recommended my body compostion suffers and i lose muscle. Thats from expereince.

1g per 1lb is a minimum requirement for an active woman.
    For men I think its anywhere between 1.5 -2.5. (somewhere along those lines, posters please dont shoot me)
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Everyone is different here. Some people are genetically gifted and gain mass on less than 1g per lb of lean mass, some don't build at all with 1g per lb of total mass. And some find they make their best gains at over 1.5g per lb of total mass.

For myself, I make my best mass-gains at 1g per lb of bodyweight, but I drop to 0.8 to1g per lb of lean mass when dieting (or, as a diabetic my blood glucose levels go higher.)
  • selina884
    Options
    I have 160g of protein each day and strength train 3 times a week cardio 2 times! Is the above post correct? Excess stored as fat?

Im a female and I have around 160kg daily. Just saying.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    ... and I have around 160kg daily. Just saying.
    I'm going to be "that guy" and point out your typo... I'm hoping you don't really take in > 350 pounds of protein a day :smile:
  • selina884
    Options
    ... and I have around 160kg daily. Just saying.
    I'm going to be "that guy" and point out your typo... I'm hoping you don't really take in > 350 pounds of protein a day :smile:

I do.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

No, it isn't. The science says 1g per lb. LBM is sufficient for maximum gains. People who don't understand the science or who think more is better say by body weight.
  • selina884
    Options

No, it isn't. The science says 1g per lb. LBM is sufficient for maximum gains. People who don't understand the science or who think more is better say by body weight.

It's still under debate.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing some serious body building, 1gm per 1lb is a LOT. I actually think the correct calculation is 1gm per 1kg.

Hope that helps!

please stop posting.

This was an unnecessary comment to make to another member.

1gram of protein per 1lb of Lean Body Mass is a common recommendation, especially when exercising. The below references the .8g per kg of body weight per day (not lean mass, but also uses kg not lbs). I converted the kilograms to pounds for easy calculation below.

American College of Sports Medicine, American Dietetic Association, and Dietitians of Canada (2000). Joint Position Statement: Nutrition and athletic performance. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 32:2130-2145
    The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), American Dietetic Association (ADA) and Dieticians of Canada (DC) recommend

The current dietary reference intake (DRI) for protein for persons over 18 years of age, irrespective of physical activity status, is 0.8 g per kilogram of body weight per day (i.e., 80 g of protein for a 220-pound person).

200 lbs
    72g of protein (sedentary)
    127g of protein (endurance athlete)
    154g of protein (resistance/strength)

.8 grams per kilogram or
    .36 grams of protein per pound (sedentary)

1.4 grams per kilogram or
    0.635 grams of protein per pound (endurance athlete)

1.7 grams per kilogram or
    0.77 grams of protein per pound (resistance/strength)
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    Depends on your body fat. A dude with 10% or 8% and 180 lbs is probably eating like that to get results. But if you have 35% and 280 lbs, eating 1g of protein per 1 lb of body weight will damage your renal system big time.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    It's still under debate.
    Not amongst those that research the science of it.

In scientific studies we define the protein requirement in healthy adults as "the continuing intake of dietary protein that is sufficient to achieve body nitrogen equilibrium (zero balance) in an initially healthy person of acceptable body composition at energy balance and under conditions of moderate physical activity..."

Studies show that using that definition, when it comes to a resistance/strength-training athlete, Nitrogen Balance techniques suggest that the protein requirements to attain zero nitrogen balance range from 1.2–2.2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight.

So yes, it varies greatly from individual to individual.