Question for the runners.. Running in the rain

Options
justal313
justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
Ok so I started running last summer. I ran outside when it was not raining and ran inside at my gym if it was raining. I have no idea what people wear if they are running in the rain and I since I'm going to be training for a half marathon, I don't want to be afraid of the rain, it's been bad enough to be afraid of the ice.

So do you wear anything special?

Replies

• canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    If it rains I like to wear something light. The less the better.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Other than a hat, no I don't wear anything different. Just be sure to take along a change of clothes including socks/shoes
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I generally wear the same running gear whether it's raining or not. If it's going to be on the cold side I have an ultra light water resistant jacket I wear but that acts mostly as a thermal layer. If it's raining hard enough I'll get wet anyway. Anything that's water proof, like made of Gore-Tex, I find just way too heavy and eventually I'll overheat. The temps where I live just don't drop that low.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on the temperature. I live in Wisconsin so a rain in April is a totally different beast than a rain in July. If kits a nice warm summer rain I go light and enjoy it. If its a cold spring rain I wear a light water resistant jacket. Still get wet but it helps keep in some of the warmth.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts if it's warm and tights if its cold. Helps keep the chafing away! Anything bulky or loose is going to weigh you down when it gets wet. I usually wear an older pair of shoes, but part of that is that I like going mudding :D Best part of running in the rain is the puddles!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If its warmer I have a windbreaker that repels water and if its like cold/sleet/storming I wear a warm jacket and raincoat over it. I also have pants that repel water for the most part. Started really running in November and I ran in every weather condition this winter so I feel like I can pretty much do anything. Even in ice, I ran at the park where they salted the path or in the street after the salt trucks came. I guess I'm unstoppable lol.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I wear my older shoes, and a hat. Nothing else changes for me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If its warm enough - as little as possible. Shorts or tights and a fitted top. And a hat with a bill.
    If its cold - I wear my usual running jacket which is the windbreaker type. It keeps the wind off of me so I don't get as cold. And tights, I hate loose wet clothing. And a hat with a bill.
    One tip I've hear but never tried is rubber gloves under your regulr gloves to keep hand warm and dry.

When I take my phone for music I put it in a ziplock bag and poke a hole in it for the headphones. Haven't had an issue.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've only ever run in the rain during Summer so I just wore my old runners and my usual running clothes. They're those quick dry synthetic fabric clothes. I always rub sun screen on my nipples, even though I don't need it for the rest of my body. I like to avoid that runner's nipple heh.
  • justal313
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I'll keep it all in mind.
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I dress for the temperature, regardless of whether it's raining or not. The only thing different I add is a ball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes.
  • justal313
    Options
    I dress for the temperature, regardless of whether it's raining or not. The only thing different I add is a ball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes.

I got a tech ball cap for one of my recent runs, it has become my favorite race SWAG at least until I get the margarita glass for running on Cinco de Mayo
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I finally had to give in and buy a waterproof running jacket, the rain/snow/sleet here has been terrible and it's more that I need protection from the cold and wet than just the wet itself.

I got the Ron Hill Tempest jacket and it's brilliant, it's a good length and really, really light. I tried it on in the shop and then found it half the price online.