Daily Reccomended Hard To Meet

flex411
flex411 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I just started and am finding it real hard to meet daily recomended values. Does anyone know of a website where it may list examples of a complete days eating and exactly what it will take to get the numbers. My suspicious in it doesnt exist, becasue it's impossible, lol. Seriously, how are you supposed to hit magnesium and keep below sugar yet hit vitamin C?

Replies

• catfan
    catfan Posts: 90 Member
    I am not sure if this will help but there is a website called mypyramid.gov that has the food pyramid on it and tells how many serving of what we need each day..I just try and go by that.
  • MMLong3996
    MMLong3996 Posts: 31
    I've never even looked at my recommended allowances for either of them. I follow the calories and that's it! And by doing that, I almost always stay at or below the fat - the two most important for me. Don't try so hard; that may be your problem. It may take a while for you to get the hang of it and see what foods/how they work for you and your daily.
  • flex411
    Yes, I have seen that. Seems like a good rule. I do not think it will meet the daily reccomended that we see here on fitnesspal, who comes up with these numbers?
  • tristan83
    tristan83 Posts: 51 Member
    I try to focus on just a few things and not everything. :smile: My sugar was through the roof so I knocked out cokes and a lot of snacks. Now I focus on calories, having a balanced diet, and taking vitamins. I know my diet is far from perfect but I feel a lot better now that I monitor a few things and now that I am more active.

What's most important to you? Balanced diet? Losing weight? Etc?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Can't say I've looked at my magnesium intake recently :blushing: But I do track my carbs, fat, protein, sugar and sodium. I take into account my total calories first and then try to come as close to the rest as I can. Each day is different but we're looking for long-term habits and we don't live in a perfect world. You'll find what fits you best. :wink: and some diaries are public so you can get an idea of what other people eat to reach their goals.
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    I think it would be too hard to try to find a diet right away that gets you the exact values for all the nutritional components. I've started out by trying to reign in the ones that were the most important for me to get under control (calories & salt). Now I'm trying to move on to sugar. I think that as you find ways to control them in steps it will be easier to manage and it gives you more time to find different combinations that work for you.

However, I don't think that there is such a diet where you will have the perfect balance of everything. You need to make tradeoffs for what is the most important to you.
  • flex411
    Sounds good, I think I wil try and focus on two items at a time. Sugar and potassium all while eating healthy. The sugar seems somewhat easy however getting up my potassium to the reccomended 3500 mg seems hard. what about a potassium supplement?

I will take it a little less serious, however there has to be a reason why these numbers are the way they are right? Why not try to reach al of the daily reccomended requirements?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    a daily multi-vitamin may get you to your recommended amounts without adding sugar, or calories.
  • Rhyssa6
    Rhyssa6 Posts: 33
    My numbers are always over on sugar and fibre, the sugar allowance on here is really low. My protein is also often over my allowance. Everything else is usually under.
    My potassium is often lessthan half of what my allowance is. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said not to worry too much, it's hard to develop low potassium just from diet alone. I also take a multivitamin most days.
    As long as I feel healthy I generally just worry about my overall calorie intake.

You should not take a potassium supplement without speaking to your doctor, too much potassium can be very dangerous.

Avocadoes are very high in potassium (around 1000mg), so is red meat. Bananas, mushrooms and broccoli are also good sources of potassium. Eat plenty of vegetables and and you should be okay.

Another thing I noticed is that if you're using the food database it isn't always completely accurately. Several of the mushroom entries show no potassium when mushrooms are actually a good source of potassium.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Is there any reason why you are concentrating on on trying to balance all those nutrients? My advice is to eat a well balance diet with the majority of your energy on staying within your calories allowance. If you are making healthy choices the rest tends to balance itself out naturally. You will drive yourself batty trying to hit perfect numbers and I just don't see any real benefits in doing it.

I've also found that a lot of the foods listed in the database may have the correct calorie/fat/protien/carb info but do not have the correct nutrient info, especially on potassium.

When in doubt, add a multi-vitamin supplement and potentially a calcium supplement.
This discussion has been closed.