2»

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Yes, was..

It was only when I quit that I was able to get some weight loss because:
    -spending so much time on games I couldn't shop or cook well enough
    -instead of games now I exercise daily, I didn't have time for both if getting enough sleep
    -I get more sleep now so have more energy = better willpower
    -eating while absorbed in a game is bad, as you don't even remember eating or feel the eating
    -winning games gave me a sense of satisfaction and the high of achieving goals, so I didn't need to achieve goals elsewhere like fitness/ weight loss.

Trust me give up video games and your health will improve ;)

That is all well and good for you but I disagree at the point where you made it advise and claimed it would improve health.

I am a gamer and I have lost 25 pounds. So right off the bad I know I can lose weight just fine without giving up gaming. Now if you are just the sort of person that happens to do some gaming then you might not understand this but I am an actual gamer. I have been a gamer since I was a kid. To this very day I get a youthful excitement at the release of a new game in one of my genres. Asking me to give up gaming would be like asking a diehard Packers fan to give up watching football. Sure it might free up more time for both of us but it isn't going to happen.

I love gaming just as much as that Packers fan loves football. If I am at a convention I will dress up as a character in the same way you will see Packers fans dressed up at a game. I am sure many of us have things in our lives that we could all give up to free up our time for more productive habits and I absolutely recommend against it. We are hear to improve our health and by extension our lives. Don't give up the stuff that makes your life enjoyable simply as a way of extending it. If giving up gaming is no big deal to you then you might consider it but for me and that Packers fan I made up to drive this point home it just isn't going to happen.
    I agree with soldier. Giving up gaming completely is a horrible idea for the people that love to game. But I believe most people would agree that a healthy medium is the best option. most gamers choose to game with the time they have outside of work, and taking care of basic needs. Gaming is like watching a tv show, sitting by a fireplace, sitting on the beach, basically any non physical act a person does to relax or entertain themselves.

I dont believe this thread was created to criticize gamers or to make someone feel bad about gaming, it seems to be a thread to encourage gamers to have a good time with eachother while learning healtier habits and losing some weight together.

You understand me so well Slap. Where would I be without you?
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Where are my DayZ players at??? :)
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Yes, was..

It was only when I quit that I was able to get some weight loss because:
    -spending so much time on games I couldn't shop or cook well enough
    -instead of games now I exercise daily, I didn't have time for both if getting enough sleep
    -I get more sleep now so have more energy = better willpower
    -eating while absorbed in a game is bad, as you don't even remember eating or feel the eating
    -winning games gave me a sense of satisfaction and the high of achieving goals, so I didn't need to achieve goals elsewhere like fitness/ weight loss.

Trust me give up video games and your health will improve ;)
    What a ****ty, judgemental post.

I've nearly finished Tomb Raider and then I'm gonna get Bioshock I think. :glasses:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Mostly PC games. The consoles I like don't work and I can't get a handle on working 2 joysticks on the PS3. ATM, I'm trying to achieve transcendence in SMAC, but the damned Spartans/Believers/Peacekeepers keep starting s***. I also do let's plays on YouTube, but not enough to forge a living.

You can game, exercise, lose weight, and be happily married. Moderation.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    There's an entire group for "MFP Gamers." Here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/36-mfp-gamers
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My husband is a huge gamer :happy:

For me though, when I do get a chance to game (balance between fitness, college, family, house, and my crafting hobby) I play World of Warcraft. I got into gaming when I was 20 (I was raised in a home where my mom always told me that I was going to h*** for gaming) so I am still trying to figure out my niche.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    All my League of Legend people know when it's time to lift I can only BS for so long :P

:love:
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Mostly PC games. The consoles I like don't work and I can't get a handle on working 2 joysticks on the PS3. ATM, I'm trying to achieve transcendence in SMAC, but the damned Spartans/Believers/Peacekeepers keep starting s***. I also do let's plays on YouTube, but not enough to forge a living.

I love playing as the university of planet. Which faction are you playing as? What difficulty do you play at?
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I used to play WoW, but it started to suck after the latest expansion. I was unable to moderate my WoW playing, too, so it's better for me just not to play at all.

Played Skyrim, Mass Effect (all 3), dabble in StarCraft II, love the Lego games. I've been considering splurging on MineCraft, but not sure I'll be able to moderate that. We'll see.
  • AASmith1977
    AASmith1977 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    PS3 as of late, Assassin's Creed 3, God of War series, as well as Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Used to play more PC, Company of Heroes; Call of Duty: World at War is my all-time favorite multiplayer.
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm gaming on both consoles/PC.

Main console I own is PS3.
    (Looking forward to PS4.)

PC Specs:

Dirty, I used to work in the video games industry. I was contracted by Epic/ATARI to create levels for a game called Unreal Tournament 2004. Not sure if you've played it before.

My whole family are hardcore PC gamers :P
  • ThreeKeys_
    ThreeKeys_ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    PS3 as of late, Assassin's Creed 3, God of War series, as well as Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Used to play more PC, Company of Heroes; Call of Duty: World at War is my all-time favorite multiplayer.

Damn Company of Heroes is good. Still not bored of that game six years later and can't wait for the new on in June, although THQ folding and it being put back until June sucks. I should be playing it now!
  • soldier4242
    Options
    All my League of Legend people know when it's time to lift I can only BS for so long :P

:love:

I am currently playing as Alistar a lot. People want me to be him because I have gotten pretty good at racking up the assists with him. The only draw back to playing as him is that I find that I play perfectly with him and if I don't have someone good that I can feed we will still lose.
  • ThreeKeys_
    ThreeKeys_ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm gaming on both consoles/PC.

Main console I own is PS3.
    (Looking forward to PS4.)

PC Specs:

Dirty, I used to work in the video games industry. I was contracted by Epic/ATARI to create levels for a game called Unreal Tournament 2004. Not sure if you've played it before.

My whole family are hardcore PC gamers :P

Any idea how they managed to make III so crap?

I love that the 2004 servers are still busy today. Just shows how good that game is.
  • here
    here Posts: 69
    Options
    PC games nowadays! Steam stuff mostly. Left 4 Dead 2, Dishonored, Dragon Age series, Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Portal, Amnesia, Dead Island. Yay gammmmes!
  • soldier4242
    Options
    PC games nowadays! Steam stuff mostly. Left 4 Dead 2, Dishonored, Dragon Age series, Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Portal, Amnesia, Dead Island. Yay gammmmes!

I love Left 4 Dead 2 I just with there weren't so many loading screens.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Duh of course!

MFP Gamers group... go join it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19-mfp-gamers
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Currently playing Star Wars The old Republic MMO most nights!
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Preachin' to the choir!
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    Options
    Mostly a sports guy:

Need 4 Speed
    Madden
    Fifa
    NBA 2K
    D.C.U