jogging/running with your dog...a bit different but HELP!

Options
Hi everyone - I am considering finally getting a pet dog for our family -- I would LOVE to hear from you if you have a pet dog that you jog/run with. Could you post a pic...tell me the breed and a little about the dog and how much they love to run with you? How frequently you take them out - how far etc? And the pros and cons of the breed - so far as you know at least :-)

I am sooo undecided about the breed, but I know I want to RUN with my new family member. Not too big, and obviously not too small either as otherwise I might need to carry them in a backpack or something ridiculous lol.

Thank you so much in advance!

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this post on our running group, might be relevant advice on here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/940274-4-legged-running-partners
  • 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ive got a 7yr old chocolate labrador. he is totall fab! i take him running with me everytime. im quite lucky and live in the countryside so i never bother with a lead for him and he is quite happy plodding along. it also makes me feel safer running with him. our furthest weve run is 6 mile but hes ok with that.

i didnt get into running until a few year ago but we did do lots of long walks. as me and my husband both work full time i think looking back we shouldnt have really gotten him as he was left along alot ( hence chewed staircase, carpets, lino. the list was endless....) weve now got two children so altho they cant walk far we do quite ofter have a run around with a ball on the local football field.

he is a lovely dog and cant imagine not having him. at first he was a handful. a mixture of being a puppy and not enough exercise.now with regular exercise and being a bit older he sleeps most of the day, only really getting under my feet at tea time!!!
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    thanks for both of those responses...I really appreciate it. Labs are indeed beautiful!

Anyone else able to share about their pooch?
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Until he was about 8, (he died aged 10 in 2003) I used to run around the oval with our Cavalier King George, he loved it. I had him on a leash to & from, let him go when on the oval. He used to cut all the corners to get ahead, then run back. Could easily outrun anyone. At that stage I was running about 1k there, 3 k round and 1k back.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have tried running with my dads dog (a black lab) and it's fine in a park or somewhere where I can take her off the lead and be OK. But on the lead, I was just tripping over her all the time especially when she would stop and stiff something. I found it generally quite difficult to keep an eye on her and get a good run in so generally I don't go out with her.

I think if I'd taken her out from a younger age she would behave a bit better. But it's definitely best to have her off the lead, but you do have to be able to trust her and the environment your in that they will be safe or you can't run properly and it becomes pointless.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've got a maltese cross cavalier and a mini foxie cross cavalier. The mini foxie cross is obviously tiny but she still loves to run! She is usually the one out running the maltese cross!

Pros of maltese - THEY DONT SHED!! its brilliant! Another breed that doesn't shed is poodle

Con of the mini foxie - hair everywhere!!

That's the only con. Other pros of both breeds are that they are lap dogs meaning they love just hanging out inside but they still love going on runs. They don't need a huge back yard. I walk my two more days than not, and I run with them about once a week.

If I was to get a third I'd get a poodle cross labrador as they have tonnes of energy and shouldn't have any shedding! Or pure bred poodle :)

Ps PLEASE GET A RESCUE DOG!!
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    if it's going to be a daily thing, yes get a dog, can you commit to the type of exercise a dog that is able to run will need? minimum of twice daily walks with lots of off lead work too. you don't say what your lifestyle is but please remember a dog can only be left for a maximum of 4 hours - they are a social pack animal.

if you're considering a working breed please remember the clue is in the word working :wink: I love these programmes where people are amazed that their dog is destroying the house "how often do you walk him/her" - "oh maybe twice a week" :sick: doh!!

please please as above consider a rescue dog, an adult dog will be ready to run and you'll bypass all the nightmare puppy stage :laugh:

or, if you want to 'try before you buy' try dog walking for a local charity that way you'll see if you like it before you take on a ten or 15 year commitment of a sentient being with feelings, heart and soul :heart:
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    http://imageshack.us/a/img109/3121/img5251o.jpg

She is a Shepard husky cross and loves to run. The wife takes her on marathon training on runs up to 30km now. She loves it. While running, nothing else matters. Other dogs will bark at her and she just keeps running straight ahead. When she goes out on longer runs, we feed her a lot of wet food to make sure she is getting the calories she needs. As well, long runs are planned around water sources for her.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What a good idea to get a rescue dog. Will definately try..might even 'try before you buy' and foster a dog for awhile. It IS indeed a long term commitment, one that I'd never step into lightly, which is why we still don't have one. None of us can decide the breed! argh.

I personally would love a Whippet - we had two when I was a kid, and I just loved them so much. Such a beautiful natured dog, and I'm sure would love to jog with me. .....now to get the kids to discover their beauty!! haha.

thanks again - loved your responses - thanks for taking the time to share. x
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There are any number of breeds and mixes that make good running partners. You don't really need a specific breed to run with. Generally a medium to large breed, although there are smaller dogs that would be suitable. I would be careful with brachycephlic breeds (the flatter faces) as they may have issues with breathing or keeping cool while running .
    You also don't necessarily need to look for a particularly high energy breed. Keep in mind if you do go with one that they still need exercise on the days you don't run them. A bored dog can be a problem. A high energy bored dog can be a nightmare.

And even if you do go with a breed that is known to run - doesn't mean they will. Many people claim their labs love to run. One of the reasons I got a lab was because it would be a suitable breed. My lab hates running. After about 2.5 miles he acts like I am dragging him. He's not tired, he'll get home and run laps around the yard. I've tried all kinds of things. So now I just take him on my shorter ones.

Make sure the breed or mix (expect any trait from either breed to possibly show) suits your whole lifestyle, not just the ability to run. Many people get a dog based on looks, without consideration for their nature. For example, beagles are meant to bark, it's part of what they are bred to do - might not be the best apartment dog even if they are small.

Also, if you plan on getting a puppy, consult with the breeder and/or vet on when the best time to start running them. For larger breeds that can be 1-2 years. Running beside you is very different than running on heir own and can be too hard on developing joints. Once you do start running, you need to work up the miles.

As for mine - I already told you about my lab's running. They are a pretty well known breed. They can be very high energy but generally a sweet dog and trainable. They shed. The breed is prone to hip dyplaysia. Look for a breed who does health testing on their breeding stock including hip and eye clearances. They can also screen for EIC (exercise induced collapse), CNM (centronuclear myopathy) and heart problems.

My Older German Shepherd lives to run with me. He will go as fast and as far as I ask, any day, any time any where. He is alert, and a great deterrent. He is 10 now so we don't do more than 5k. Pros - smart breed, great dogs, trainable, visual deterrent. Cons - can be challenging for a first time owner, they need a strong owner who is in charge, there is a lot of bad breeding out there producing some bad examples of the breed. They can be territorial. They shed! a lot! They are smart breed, high energy (remember what I said about bored and high energy). Everyone wants a smart dog, until you get one. He is far too smart - he can open doors , is an escape artist (he escapes to get to us not away) and is very adept at reading us. He knows when I have decided to take him for a run before I do or say anything. I will always have a GSD but certainly don't recommend the breed for everyone.
    Health concerns - same as the lab without the EIC. Any breeder should be doing testing on their stock (not "vet checks" these are specific tests where the dogs are screened for these diseases prior to breeding)

I covered the puppy from a breeder stage just in case. Rescues and shelters are a good idea but if one chooses to go to a breeder there is a huge difference between a good breeder and a bad one. These are some good articles about selecting a dog, particularly what to look for in a breeder. It is from a lab breeder but it applies to anyone.
    http://woodhavenlabs.com/breeding.html

My three
    IMG_2085.jpg

My lab is cut out there so here he is (that's my older GSD in my avatar)
    Cabottrail002.jpg
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This is all fantastic advice. If you don't want to wait 1-2 years for a puppy to sufficiently mature to be a running buddy, you could consider adopting an adult mixed breed from a shelter; the staff should be able to help you identify a dog that enjoys on-leash activities/walking/running and has a good drive to work.

I run with my two dogs. One is a Husky/Collie mix (there's a post-run photo of her and me in my profile pics) and she's very driven and would run for days if I let her (she's 11+ now and getting a bit arthritic so we keep it to 5 km now) and one is a Shepherd; she's younger but doesn't really like on-leash stuff and drags her heels (she's also an amputee, but can run circles around me if she wants to. I limit her on-leash runs to about 3-4 km at most though).

(also, 3dogsrunning, your Shepherds are GORGEOUS :love: )
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I usually run with Max, my 6 year old Weimaraner. He can run all day (well, I'm running flat out, he's just trotting along steadily)

He's always on a lead, and he's used to being on one.

He's out of action at the minute as he cut his paw 10 days ago and had to have stitches.

I tried him once at a Park Run (a weekly timed 5k run held in various parks aroudn the UK and other countries), and he was a NIGHTMARE! got really freaked out by all these other excited runners in high-viz vests). So we stick to quiet contry roads or the tow path by the river.

If you are getting a puppy, dont be tempted to exercise them too much until their bones have formed properly. It is unlikely that a dog of less than 1 year old will be able to go for a run with you.

Weims - nice short coat, easy to groom, but daft as a brush and inclined to be skittish.

I also have a cocker spaniel, who is just a year and a half, so I'll be starting to train her in running soon. She's very smart, and loves any kind of agility activity, but has a coat that needs brushed daily.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have a yellow lab that I have walked/run with on a leash, since she was a pup, about 4 years. Do your research on breeds. Start slow, be patient, do the work in the training and regardless of what type of dog you choose, you will have a great running companion. A bonus is that I never mind going out early in the morning in the dark with a 75 pound dog with me. She is a wonderful dog, as are most labs, and I can't imagine my morning exercise without her.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @ cmeirun - thanks!
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    Not sure how to post a pic, but I do run with my dog and have posted about it in a group called "from plodders to sprinters". I run Monday through Thursday between 4-6 miles, Friday is an "off" day, Saturday is our long run from 10-13miles and Sunday is off. My dogs have been running with me since I started. I currently have 2 German Shepherds. They are on my profile in my pics. I have never had any issues with them running and they also go biking with me. I had a German Shepherd prior to these 2 who was also a great runner!
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a year and a half yellow lab, Gunner, who runs with me. I run with him at least 3 times a week and he goes on my long runs with me. He loves it! I grab the leash and he is sitting by the door wanting to go go go! I feel safer running with him. One thing I don't like about him is he sheds a lot. Even with his shedding food and brushing him everyday, but I would not trade him for the world! He is a great companion and we are running up to 6 miles. We are doing a K9 9K in May. I also have a toy Aussie (I do think a standard Aussie would be a good running mate), but she can't go on long runs. So my husband takes her for walks:) or else she gets pretty jealous! Here is a link for 10 Best Dog Breeds for outside activites:) Good luck!!

http://www.active.com/outdoors/articles/10-Best-Dog-Breeds-for-Adventure-Junkies.htm
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WHAT I WANT TO KNOW is??????
    Who would burn more calories???
    YOU OR THE DOG?????
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a yellow lab (4 years old) who is NOT into running with me. She is very fit and trim but she just isn't a runner. She loves to walk and would walk all day every day if we'd go with her. She just likes to go at HER pace, and stop and sniff everything, and doesn't like to have to keep up with me while running. She ends up lagging SO far behind, unless I leave the leash on and then I feel like I'm dragging her. She would play with other dogs for hours but, just not into jogging with me.

As others have mentioned, a dog of less than 1 year should NOT run with you, it's extremely bad for their muscle and bone development. ESPECIALLY a lab, as it can make them more prone to hip dysplasia.
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have shepherds, rotties and labs and they all love to run and hang in well at 4 miles and a 8:30 pace several days a week. They love to go. I usually put them on harnesses and a leash vs. a collar around their neck. You'll want to do some pre-run leash work with them so they learn who is theboss on the leash. My rottie never learned :) I love running with my dogs!!! The only downside is, my dogs are all boys and they want to stop and mark every telephone pole and mailbox in sight.