Get Paid to workout: GymPact App

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
Sorry in advance for this sounding like an infomercial...

So, I found this app ,on my iPhone called "GymPact", where you set certain goals to work out each week, and if you make them you get paid a certain amount of money, but if you break them you have to pay up.

Does anyone use this app? I thought I'd share, but would also like to hear what others think who use it; I just did the week trial. Don't know if it's worth it...(even though the app is free...)

Replies

• diana4583
    diana4583 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have never heard of it...sounds nice except for part about having to pay lol
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I've heard you get peanuts back. Not enough to be a real motivator. Other alternative is the website Earndit. You can get vouchers or donate to charity.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    My biggest beef with it is that it seems impossible to verify whether or not someone is cheating and checking in at a gym as they drive by, but that's just me. I haven't really researched it.
  • xbleedingxglitterx
    Options
    I downloaded the app on my phone several weeks ago but have yet to actually sign up and use it. I'm a cheapo and really don't wanna pay if I don't workout lol I do like the concept of the whole thing though.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    My biggest beef with it is that it seems impossible to verify whether or not someone is cheating and checking in at a gym as they drive by, but that's just me. I haven't really researched it.

You have to be checked in at the gym for at least 30 minutes for it to count. It tracks your GPS so it's pretty impossible to cheat.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this, because last time I checked out this app, it was only available for the iPhone. I just looked at the website again, and there is an Android app! Awesome!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I just read a ton of reviews of the app and now I'm positive I'm not getting it. Over 50 people saying that they gave their financial info over, only to have the app crash repeatedly, making gym check-ins impossible. Also that customer service is nonexistent and getting charges billed to them for (false) failure to go work out reversed is nigh-impossible. Pass. The payout is paltry and apparently not worth the risk.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I was worried about. Thanks for the heads up.
  • basschica
    Options
    I have had some runs not sync between Runkeeper and Gympact, but that being said when I did contact support, they fixed it and I was not charged for missing workouts. They've been super responsive. I wouldn't worry about that. The bugs have been pretty minimal and they always fix it.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I found this app too but can't use it because they only let you check in at a gym and I work out at home or use run keeper and i use runtastic. My phone is small and don't have a lot of room for a lot of apps. I like dietbet a lot more I actallly have made money on that site.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have been using this app for 2 weeks now. I have yet to have a workout during which this app worked correctly. It keeps telling me I have no Internet connection (I do), or it stops the timer for my workout which then doesn't count my workout, or the app won't open, or some other pain in the *kitten*, irritating issue. The app has been in existence way too long to have this many issues. I have sent multiple emails, posted on their facebook page, and sent reports through the app, all of which were completely ignored my first full week.

I am going to finish this week or else I will be charged $5 for not finishing my workouts, then I am deleting my account. This app is a huge aggravation.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I use Move It, because it syncs with MFP. However, I am not impressed with the rewards; I just donate $5 to charity one every month or two.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

You have to be checked in at the gym for at least 30 minutes for it to count. It tracks your GPS so it's pretty impossible to cheat.

LOL! The local DJ on the radio was talking about this the other day and she was actually talking about my gym which has a Mexican fast food restaurant in front of it. She was saying she'd just go through the drive thru then park right up next to the gym, check in and sit and eat her food in the car for 30 minutes. :laugh: She was joking but it got me wondering if it would really work.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've heard you get peanuts back. Not enough to be a real motivator. Other alternative is the website Earndit. You can get vouchers or donate to charity.

Earndit is good. There's a weekly challenge too that is pretty motivating and the rewards are decent. Good charity rewards too.

I also use Everymove - although I think it would be pretty easy to cheat on that one and the rewards aren't fantastic, but they're easy to earn.
  • lwagnitz
    Options

LOL! The local DJ on the radio was talking about this the other day and she was actually talking about my gym which has a Mexican fast food restaurant in front of it. She was saying she'd just go through the drive thru then park right up next to the gym, check in and sit and eat her food in the car for 30 minutes. :laugh: She was joking but it got me wondering if it would really work.

Lmao that's funny. I guess that's a way to cheat.
  • beadalicious
    beadalicious Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for a few weeks. The new update is much better, only bad thing is that i can check in at the gym but the GPS disables and the workout does not count. I would have to use the machines by the windows all the time. It does get me moving though, not because I will earn money but because if I dont move my lazy *kitten* I will have pay them money! If the GPS isn't working t it forces me to take the dogs for a walk, (using Runkeeper) We all win in the long run!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea that people may do only 30 minutes of exercise because that all they have to do (and vice versa for very out of shape individuals). I'm a fan of self dictated penalties and rewards. For instance, barring a certain snack food for a week or being allowed to watch Game of Thrones. Pick your poison. Some people do great with incentives like this and some do terribly.

The psychological toll of programs like this is different for everyone. Are you the person that meets failure with the phrase "F it" and grabs a bag of cookies? If so, this ain't for you. I'm serious, too. Not everyone is motivated by defeat. If you don't think winning matters, you're probably one of those people.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love Gympact, I've used it for a long time and make about $10 a month, which pays for my netflix subscription.
    I've never used it to check into a gym, I use it with walking and running (runkeeper integration) and occasionally home workouts.