30 day shred - does it work?

Options
Hi

I'm 5'4'' and around 130lbs and have just started (today) on day 1 of 30 day shred.

I know some people have had some amazing results on here, and I just wondered if anyone with similar stats to myself has had any success with it? Also, what sort of calorie intake would people around my height/weight be recommended to have in order to lose some weight and gain/tone up some muscle?

Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Heather

Replies

• hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Also, what sort of calorie intake would people around my height/weight be recommended to have in order to lose some weight and gain/tone up some muscle?

I'm not familiar with the 30 day shred myself. But what you're after here are two different, and almost mutually exclusive goals. To build muscle you need to eat enough calories and protein so that you body can you the excess to build the new muscles you earned by working out. To lose weight you need to eat too few calories to sustain your body. You can do a bit of both at the same time, but unless you're very non muscular now you'll not see much of a difference.

You might want to focus on one or the other for the 30 day shred, then do another 30 days with the other goal in mind. Ie. start with building muscle. Be sure you eat what your body needs, especially enough protein (building blocks for muscle). This is about 2000 cals for an average woman. Then do 30 days with less calories, say 1600. That'll help you lose, and the extra muscle you build up will actually increase your daily burn making it easier to lose in the last 30 days.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster about it being difficult to gain muscle and cut fat at the same time, but I disagree about being able to do both using 30D Shred. While 30DS Shred may use weights, it's my understanding that it's mostly lower weights, higher reps which, generally speaking, will not really build a significant amount of muscle, even at a surplus. it is more cardio than strength training. That being said, it has it's place. I've done Shred it with Weights, a nd it's a good workout. Figure out your BMR, add in a modifier for activity, then eat 20% less than that to create a deficit. if you're feeling extra hungry while workoing out or weak, then add in some more calories. You will need to give it time to see results on the scale, particularly since you don't have a lot to lose. I'd say use the heaviest weights you can for the 30DS, even if it means not being able to get in all the reps. Eat at a deficit for the next month, see how you feel (don't go by the scale, you may see physical results, but not movement in the scale, be sure to take measurements and pictures). If you want to lose more fat, continue eating at a deficit. I always suggest lifting heavy because it makes me, personally, feel strong and awesome, so I'd say do that and find some cardio you like instead of 30DS, but lots of people love 30DS.

If you get to a point where you're really stalling out or are happy and ready to build muscle, get a good, basic lifting program with compound movements, lift heavy, and eat at maintenance, slowly upping your cals. If/when you also gain fat with your muscle, you can go back to a cut to lose it.
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did 30 DS over 60 days (with pilates, running and swimming on non-30DS days, plus one day of rest per week). I am happy with my results and had similar stats to you (a little shorter and a little heavier than you). Feel free to friend me! :smile:

ETA: I eat ~1500 cals/day with my macros set at 40C:30F:30P
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a great toning workout and you will see results in the 30 days. I still have 40-50 lbs to lose but I have certainly noticed a difference in how clothes fit and look on me. I dont lose much weight, if any at all while doing it but the change in my measurements is worth it.
    It is only 20 mins 6 days a week but it really works you during those 20 mins. You use light weights 3-5 lbs for the arm and shoulder work. It consists of good old fashioned circuit training. Jumping jacks, skipping rope, plank, pushups, crunches, bicycle crunches, etc.... There is no rest at all during it and you will sweat a lot and be ready to swallow your heart during some of the cardio. I highly recommend it .

Good luck!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I did the first one yesterday of level 1 and I can feel it in my legs (particularly from the squats haha). I think as I don't have a lot to lose it may work in inches rather than weight, which is what I'm happy with. When I say weight, I mean not focusing on a number but more looking toned and not 'skinny fat' if you know what I mean.

I'll keep it up and then see how it goes. My plan is to measure at 10 day intervals :)