A Calorie is a Calorie?

Options

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    But do you think it would matter where you get your carbs? So either from fruits and veggies or from bread and pasta? As long as you hit your macros?
    It only matters where you get your carbs (and to restrict their intake) IF you have diabetes, metabolic syndrome or insulin-resistance due to those conditions or others such as PCOS, Hashimoto's thyroidism, etc.

If you're not in that group, it's not as important where your carb sources come from, though obviously there are healthier sources than others.

The IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) crowd generally are health-conscious enough to still get proper nutrients ... most of them don't get all their carbohydrates from Coke and Snickers.

My personal feeling is when you find the macronutrient ratio (percentage of calories each from fat, protein and carbohydrate) that works best for you (and we're all unique here), do your best to choose more nutrient-dense items (IE: non-starchy vegetables have more nutrients per gram of carbohydrate than white bread) but do NOT totally exclude the foods you love, unless you've a legitimate medical reason to do so.

'Diet' is the way you eat for life ... it should be healthy but shouldn't feel like a prison sentence.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For weight loss a calorie is a calorie.

However most people are not interested in weight loss, they want fat loss. For fat loss, macros are important.

Protein = Building blocks for repair, recovery, and muscle growth.
    Carbs = High output exercise fuel
    Fat = Low output exercise/just sitting around fuel.

Almost everyone will benefit from eating more protein. The only exception are the cool kids who are already into eating lots of protein.

If you live a couch based lifestyle, carbs are no good. The more exercise you do, the more you benefit from more carbs (with one largely irrelevant for this discussion exception).

But do you think it would matter where you get your carbs? So either from fruits and veggies or from bread and pasta? As long as you hit your macros?

The body is extremely efficient at breaking down all forms of carbs into simple sugars, quite rapidly (saliva is really good at this). The source really doesn't matter at all.

All of your thoughts and opinions make me happier and more relieved by the minute. Can't wait to finally get away from that unhealthy way of thinking that food = bad.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I believe a calorie is a calorie. The reason most people lose weight on Atkins is because it's essentially a low-calorie diet. You give up high-calorie carbohydrates and replace them with lower calorie protiens. But a balanced, low-calorie diet combined with daily exercise is the best way to lose weight.

Very true, even though the low carbers won't agree... When I did Atkins I could hardly hit 1,200 because I literally got sick of eating all that fat and protein. So yeah I would lose weight fast but I was sick and miserable all the time, also because I didn't work out at all. Now I eat more balanced and I exercise 6 times a week, BUT my calories are still way too low...

Want to up them but I don't see me hitting my macro goals with the food I am eating that is all considered "healthy". I can only eat so many eggs, veggies, fruits. Therefore was interested about everyone's thoughts on calories.

If you are eating healthy type of foods and you think you are getting good vitamins then perhaps you should only track calories. You are clearly concerned about your other macros a bit more than most people would say you should be. Try just tracking calories and nothing else for a while.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

However most people are not interested in weight loss, they want fat loss. For fat loss, macros are important.

Almost everyone will benefit from eating more protein. The only exception are the cool kids who are already into eating lots of protein.

If you live a couch based lifestyle, carbs are no good. The more exercise you do, the more you benefit from more carbs (with one largely irrelevant for this discussion exception).

Within reason, no. It's important to consider micronutrients also and fruit and veggies have many valuable micronutrients. Why not a mix of all? Also, in a previous post you mentioned not caring that much about rice or potatoes. Potatoes are one of the best sources for potassium.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. And different macros are important for different reasons. Carbs are a easily accessible source of energy. Protein supports muscle maintenance and growth. Fats are great for brain and organ function. Different people prefer different macros based on their physical activity and how a certain split makes them feel.

I have mine set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. I try to hit over 100g of protein every day, to support my heavy lifting. I like to get a significant amount of carbs, as I run 3-4 times a week and a lower level of carbs would make me feel tired and weak. I keep a 30% fat ratio because fats make me feel fuller and keep me satisfied.

I also strongly believe in IIFYM. I try to eat plenty of nutritious things every day, but I also allow for treats. This keeps me on a plan of moderation and helps me make more long-term healthy choices.

Also, why do you think rice, pasta and bread are less healthy?

I also have my macros at 40/30/30 because I do lots of cardio, but I find it hard to hit my carbs, because like I said before, I was brainwashed into thinking that carbs are bad. So I automatically stay away from them. And I said that they are "considered" bad (white bread, pasta, rice). I am starting to believe more and more that yeah, a calorie is a calorie.

It is just really frustrating to have Mr. Atkins in the back of my head saying that carbs will make you fat -_- But seeing my slim friends around me eating white bread, pasta etc and stay slim, it doesn't add up.

I will have me some ravioli for diner, how is that? :)

I do 30% carbs (35% on a spike day) 35% protein and 35% fat. I find these good for weight loss. Above 35% carbs my losses stall. I try to keep my sugars to 30-35g. It does make a different to my losses. It's enough carbs to eat a pretty normal diet, but not too many to stall my losses. It's about finding a balance. No carbs or very very low probably isn't very healthy, neither is it if they are too high. Honestly when I keep to mostly Complex carbs I do see a difference. I do allow for treats though. I sometimes use IIFYM and I also have some treat per night, that I save carbs for. My diary is open if you would like a peek.

Zara

My diary was a little off as I have had hand surgery and cooking is a struggle right now, so lots of snacks but the macros add up. You have to find what works for YOU.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    It only matters where you get your carbs (and to restrict their intake) IF you have diabetes, metabolic syndrome or insulin-resistance due to those conditions or others such as PCOS, Hashimoto's thyroidism, etc.

If you're not in that group, it's not as important where your carb sources come from, though obviously there are healthier sources than others.

The IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) crowd generally are health-conscious enough to still get proper nutrients ... most of them don't get all their carbohydrates from Coke and Snickers.

My personal feeling is when you find the macronutrient ratio (percentage of calories each from fat, protein and carbohydrate) that works best for you (and we're all unique here), do your best to choose more nutrient-dense items (IE: non-starchy vegetables have more nutrients per gram of carbohydrate than white bread) but do NOT totally exclude the foods you love, unless you've a legitimate medical reason to do so.

'Diet' is the way you eat for life ... it should be healthy but shouldn't feel like a prison sentence.

Thank you for your input. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit (with every single meal and as snacks) so I will continue that but add on things I love like the white bread to hit my macros and to be able to stay sane.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    I believe a calorie is a calorie. The reason most people lose weight on Atkins is because it's essentially a low-calorie diet. You give up high-calorie carbohydrates and replace them with lower calorie protiens. But a balanced, low-calorie diet combined with daily exercise is the best way to lose weight.

Very true, even though the low carbers won't agree... When I did Atkins I could hardly hit 1,200 because I literally got sick of eating all that fat and protein. So yeah I would lose weight fast but I was sick and miserable all the time, also because I didn't work out at all. Now I eat more balanced and I exercise 6 times a week, BUT my calories are still way too low...

Want to up them but I don't see me hitting my macro goals with the food I am eating that is all considered "healthy". I can only eat so many eggs, veggies, fruits. Therefore was interested about everyone's thoughts on calories.

If you are eating healthy type of foods and you think you are getting good vitamins then perhaps you should only track calories. You are clearly concerned about your other macros a bit more than most people would say you should be. Try just tracking calories and nothing else for a while.

I am indeed overly concerned about macros and all that, you're exactly right. I do eat very healthy, it has become a very normal thing for me to have fruits and vegetables with every meal (in large amounts), and I don't deprive myself, I will have chocolate and white bread every now and then and usually that doesn't have a negative effect on my weight loss so I should know better. I will just keep that up and add in calories for the calories. Thanks for the input!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Obviously carb based foods can be carriers for other nutrients like vitamins/minerals, and you do have to make use of that property often (like almost all the time).

But vitamins/minerals are for the most part "good enough" items, once you've met your daily amount, there is almost no benefit to eating more.

If you don't need the other nutrient carrier properties of the carb source, it doesn't matter; bread, pasta, candy, cereal, vegetables, have at it, carbs are carbs.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Within reason, no. It's important to consider micronutrients also and fruit and veggies have many valuable micronutrients. Why not a mix of all? Also, in a previous post you mentioned not caring that much about rice or potatoes. Potatoes are one of the best sources for potassium.

^Agreed.

The thing to remember is that rice, bread, pasta, and potatoes aren't bad. They are carbs - the same as fruits and veggies. The difference is that some sources of carbs have other micronutrients in them. So, an orange has carbs but it also has Vitamin C. Potatoes have potassium, as mentioned (which is great for muscle recovery after cardio!). Spinach has iron. As long as you are eating a variety of foods, you'll be getting the macros and micros you need.

I get a mix of fruits and veggies, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. I also eat some cereal, pop tarts, cake, etc. As long as I'm getting a decent amount of the "nutritious" foods I need, I don't worry about the others.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Also, in a previous post you mentioned not caring that much about rice or potatoes. Potatoes are one of the best sources for potassium.
    Potatoes are also one of the highest-calorie sources of potassium.

You get more potassium per gram from spinach, with 1/3 the calories. The other benefit is half of the carbohydrate in spinach is dietary fiber. I'm not saying potatoes are bad for you (unless you're diabetic, then I'm bluntly stating that), I'm saying some carbohydrate sources are better than others.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    ...But vitamins/minerals are for the most part "good enough" items, once you've met your daily amount, there is almost no benefit to eating more.

If you don't need the other nutrient carrier properties of the carb source, it doesn't matter; bread, pasta, candy, cereal, vegetables, have at it, carbs are carbs.
    I do agree with that, once you have your necessary nutrient (vitamin/anti-oxidant/whatever) intake, the source is no longer very important. (Again with the caveat that this wouldn't apply to those with insulin-resistance or diabetes, which should be obvious but isn't to everyone.)
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of measure. Nothing more. The quality of food you put into your body has nothing to do with the calories in the food.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was told by a physiologist that it does matter what you put into your body. She told me to get most of my calories from lean protein and veggies. Of course I asked her what I should eat to gain muscle and lower body fat %.

I believe you should have carbs, but no more than 150 per day. I believe sugar is ok in moderation and fructose (sugar in fruit) and sucrose (table sugar) are considered the same. The only difference is that I believe fructose is more natural and healthier for the body.

I allow myself to eat unlimited green veggies (celery, lettuce, broccoli, green beans, etc) but limit corn, potatoes, apples, bananas, grapes, pears, etc.

I eat a LOT of berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries) because they are lower in sugar than those mentioned above and also high in fiber and antioxidants.

I should mention I was also on Atkins, but realized that I can have more than 80 carbs a day and still lose weight and be healthy. I still have the mind set of "CARBS ARE EVIL" but as long as you are getting them from healthy foods (potatoes, 100% whole wheat, whole grain, fruits) that it isn't necessarily bad for you.

I'm pretty much rambling now so that's my 2 cents lol.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Also, in a previous post you mentioned not caring that much about rice or potatoes. Potatoes are one of the best sources for potassium.
    Potatoes are also one of the highest-calorie sources of potassium.

You get more potassium per gram from spinach, with 1/3 the calories. The other benefit is half of the carbohydrate in spinach is dietary fiber. I'm not saying potatoes are bad for you (unless you're diabetic, then I'm bluntly stating that), I'm saying some carbohydrate sources are better than others.

Per the MFP database, 1 cup of raw spinach is 7 calories and has 167 mg of potassium. 1 cup of potato (with skin) is 58 cals and has 316mg of potassium.

58 calories isn't that "high" in my opinion. And yes, spinach may offer a better ratio, but it's not very filling and you have to eat double the amount (2 cups) to get the same amount of potassium as 1 cup of potato.

The best choice? Eat some of both.

I just wanted to post this in case anyone interpreted your post as "potatoes are bad."
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie, but to me the better quality calories, the better quality results!

i am an IIFYM girl, i have my macros at roughly 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat... as long as i more or ess hit these goals i will eat what i want....

This is pretty much what I am attempting to do. I know a calorie is a calorie, but if you "spend" those calories on less filling items (white rice rather than higher fiber brown. Chocolate rather than a bowl of greek yogurt and honey) it's going to be difficult to maintain a calorie deficit. You'll just be too hungry, imo.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

I like that. I really like that...
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. And different macros are important for different reasons. Carbs are a easily accessible source of energy. Protein supports muscle maintenance and growth. Fats are great for brain and organ function. Different people prefer different macros based on their physical activity and how a certain split makes them feel.

I have mine set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. I try to hit over 100g of protein every day, to support my heavy lifting. I like to get a significant amount of carbs, as I run 3-4 times a week and a lower level of carbs would make me feel tired and weak. I keep a 30% fat ratio because fats make me feel fuller and keep me satisfied.

I also strongly believe in IIFYM. I try to eat plenty of nutritious things every day, but I also allow for treats. This keeps me on a plan of moderation and helps me make more long-term healthy choices.

Also, why do you think rice, pasta and bread are less healthy?

this

balance is everything 0.8g per lb of lean body mass (workout your body fat % then remove this percentage from your total body weight and you're in the field) then work out what you need carbs and fat from that depending on activity level

eat extra calories and burn them off to help your metabolism speed up
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie, but to me the better quality calories, the better quality results!

i am an IIFYM girl, i have my macros at roughly 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat... as long as i more or ess hit these goals i will eat what i want....

This is pretty much what I am attempting to do. I know a calorie is a calorie, but if you "spend" those calories on less filling items (white rice rather than higher fiber brown. Chocolate rather than a bowl of greek yogurt and honey) it's going to be difficult to maintain a calorie deficit. You'll just be too hungry, imo.

This is very true. I think that is also part of the thought behind Atkins. You eat as much of the filling foods, so you won't be hungry and therefore have a (major) calorie deficit. I think it would be perfect to find a balance where you eat most of your calories from the nutritious foods (which will, at the same time, fill you up) and fill the rest up with foods you enjoy... Sounds like a nice way of living!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

you can burn off anything you overeat in a day easily having a chocolate bar once a week isn't going to make you overweight if the rest of your diet is good