Going grocery shopping. What do you recommend?

I'm not talking about fruits and veggies! Like what are some good foods. I've heard Vitatops are really good! Anything else I should add to my list?

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Ribeyes, bacon, pork chops, chicken and sausage.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Pringles, You can eat a stack for 70 calories and is good when you want something crunchy.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    farro
    lintels
    greek yogurt
    unsweetened almond milk
    olives
    peanuts in the shell
  • depends on what kinda food you like to eat.

Alpro unsweetend almond milk as a substitute for normal milk
    -only contains 26 cals/ 200ml glass
    - good source of protein

ricewaffles
    - only 30 cals/ piece, good snack!

if you eat canned fish, make sure its not in oil but in water!

romaine lettuce, romaine lettuce, romaine lettuce
    - life saver (only 15 cals per WHOLE serving, fills up the plate!)

Jelly beans!
    - i believe 20 have 100 cals, good treat!

Alpro soya chocolate pudding (dark one's the yummiest!)
    - 115 cals/ serving

If your out for a drink.. srsly go for the spirits. More effect for less amount and calories!

vinegar!
    - low cal and tastes good on salad

sweetcorn kernels... homemade popcorn! (1 tbsp=1cup=50cals)
    - try interesting new spices like curry or colourings- great snack, low cal
    (inspiration:http://cityglamblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/achtung-suchtfaktor-crazy-popcorn.html)

tomato puree
    - thickens (soups, sauces a.s.o.) minus the calories!

Only little changes but DAMN they make a difference for me!
    Hope you found something helpful :wink:
  • AlexB422
    AlexB422 Posts: 111
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will be adding some things to my list! Anyone else got anything?
  • shiritaki noodles! love them!!!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    I'd suggest planning out your meals and recipes first, then shopping for what you need. Just buying at random is the best way to let food go to waste.

That said, I try to make sure I always have an easy-to-cook protein and vegetable on hand for quick dinner after work. Things like frozen portioned salmon filets, chicken breast, etc.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Bear Naked Fit Granola – great addition to a fruit salad or cup of yogurt, 5-6 flavors to choose from.

Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges – (35 cal per wedge) great cheese spread to add to toast, half a bagel, rice cake, inside a chicken or turkey wrap, melted on eggs/omelette… SO MANY things to do with these, and again, several flavors to choose from.

La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low Carb/High Fiber Wheat Tortilla – 80 calories. Great for wraps, I use these every day for lunch – they also make 100 calories wheat wraps. One of their 100 cal ones will say Made With Olive Oil – these are very good.

Chobani 0% yogurt – lowest calorie for the most protein (140 cal / 14g protein – the 2% ones are 160 cal / 14 g)

Blue Diamond Low Sodium Lightly Salted Almonds

Starkist Tuna – Pouches (4 new flavors, plus a plain Low Sodium version for 70 cal/pouch, plus a ready-made tuna salad pouch for only 100 cal – EXCELLENT for on the go, or to store at your desk, or to take with when you know you might be somewhere that a healthy choice might not be easily available)

Wholly Guacamole 100 Cal snack packs (they come in a 3 pk or a 6 pk)

HUMMUS!

Fresh Salsa or Pico De Gallo – a million uses!
  • ytweety5
    ytweety5 Posts: 16 Member
    I'd suggest planning out your meals and recipes first, then shopping for what you need. Just buying at random is the best way to let food go to waste.

That said, I try to make sure I always have an easy-to-cook protein and vegetable on hand for quick dinner after work. Things like frozen portioned salmon filets, chicken breast, etc.

I ditto the response.....excellent idea to sort of have in mind a menu of meals that you would like to cook throughout the week. I visit the grocery store every other week, however, I do not plan my meals out but I know just what I would like to buy to go along with items I already have in my freezer.
  • AlexB422
    AlexB422 Posts: 111
    Thanks guys! My list is growing!
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 423 Member
    I start off in the produce section. I love bell peppers, spinach, sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, strawberries and if it's on sale some sort of trail mix/nut mix. Then I head to the meat counter. We stock up on sirloin steaks (my boyfriend and I split one steak so it's not so calorie dense for me), chicken breasts and lean hamburger meat, and if on sale the pre-cooked shrimp. I used to always go down the snack aisle and get 100 calorie packs and granola bars etc, but I am really trying to eat more unprocessed snack foods! I always get a container of oats so I'm going to try making my own granola/bars for snacks so they have less sugar. I like La Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas as it seems the boyfriend and I make a lot of Mexican inspired dishes (he looooves spicy foods, I'm learning to like them). I also love the Babybel cheese wedges and Laughing Cow cheese as well. Cottage cheese is a great snack food, and I'm learning you can use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for many, many things so I tend to always have a tub of that on hand. Chobani is my new best friend, yummy yogurt! And almond milk!!! Long post, but those are my go to's when I hit up Safeway (which is on a weekly basis pretty much). I try to make my money go as far as it can, as it is kind of expensive to eat healthy when you're on a tight budget. Hope this and every one else's responses help you!