Any plus sized Females do Insanity?

Options
Guamybear
Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
I just started it and all the before and afters I see are for smaller females who need like 20lbs to lose. I still have about 50 to and weight 196.. Lots of fat for all the jumping..

Just was curious if any other plus sized gals did it and finished it.. Plus any tips would be appreciated.. Day 2 is today..

Replies

• mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity classes at my gym, I'm around 200 I think but hasvn't weight for a while. It's hard- I'm really unfit which I think is more of an issue than my size, but I do find I can't do certain moves becasue of my size. I've found this in other classes as well though, not just Insanity
  • IamLoriJ
    IamLoriJ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am 258 and we do insanity based workouts at my excercise class. Definately a work out. I just do it the best I can. Some of the things are too hard for me, especially the pushups but I can do a whole lot more of them than when I started. I can see a difference and I only do it a couple of times a week for the last month or so.
  • Guamybear
    Options
    I normally prefer Zumba so Insanity is out of my comfort zone but figured I would give it a shot... hope I can do it..
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I'm about 20 lbs overweight and I do insanity. I am SURE it will be much easier at a healthy weight, but I go at my own pace. I am no where near the people on the video.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    really focus on your form for all the squats, there are also A LOT of exercises involving bending. So really pay attention to your form, I got a back injury between month 1 and 2 =**((
  • Melissaf0925
    Options
    I do Crossfit (which is similar to Insanity) and I was about 45 lbs overweight when I started. If you scale exercises until you can do them at full steam you still get benefits. Don't get discouraged.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    I have a friend that just had her 3rd baby. I think she is probably in the 250 range if not higher. She just started working out like crazy going to the gym, taking Zumba and she told me at Zumba class last night that she had just tried Insanity that day and had injured her knee. She was in quite a bit of pain after Zumba. I think it's overworking it though. Going from nothing to full on exercising multiple times a day would take a toll on any body no matter what the weight. I personally would like to try insanity some day, but not until I have lost more weight and have more endurance. I am 5'2 1/2 and 170 lbs currently, down from 199. But if you have the ambition and drive, go for it!
  • nrf111
    nrf111 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity, but not all the time. I cycle it into my workout routines about twice a week. I am definitely seeing results that I attribute to the Insanity workouts though. Maybe give it a try that way and see how it goes for you. If it is going well and you want to try the 6 day per week program, go for it! Personally, I like having the time and energy to do other workouts as well. It keeps me from getting bored.
  • engozee
    engozee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I belong to an an online healthy living support group and we have a wide range of different sized members. Many of us have done Insanity and several of the women that do it are quite heavy. Everyone just does it to the best of their ability and we post videos from time to time as well so you can actually see people in action. I was quite impressed and motivated as well. I say go for it, do your best and you will love the results. I am on my second round of Insanity myself...good luck.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I do Insanity, but not all the time. I cycle it into my workout routines about twice a week. I am definitely seeing results that I attribute to the Insanity workouts though. Maybe give it a try that way and see how it goes for you. If it is going well and you want to try the 6 day per week program, go for it! Personally, I like having the time and energy to do other workouts as well. It keeps me from getting bored.

^^ this. For a long time I only did insanity 3 days a week. 6 was just too much.
  • Guamybear
    Options
    Well I did day 2 and it was brutal.. I did what I could and stopped when I got winded.. I probably did half of the routine in spurts.. Never loved stretching so much..LOL..

I did Zumba religiously and then added walking, some training apps for running, and the elliptical so hopefully my lower body won't completely be in pain.. I was never ever active in my younger days so this is a big challenge for me..
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I also do Insanity. I am on week 7 and it is hard as hell. My scale hasn't budged much for me, only 7 pounds lost since I've started but I have lost 5.25 inches so far. I was hoping for better results, but I don't follow their meal plan. I don't want to eat that stuff like they do and neither will my family, kids say no way! lol I try to eat healthy, but we all occasionally crave some junk food. I count my calories on MFP so I am still under for the days. The workouts will make you sweat and sore, so if it becomes too much (especially at the beginning) do them every other day instead of every day. It's a lot of stress on your body and it's something new. Doing it every other day is better than not doing it at all. Hang in there, and remember it gets easier as your body adjusts, good luck! :)
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of Insanity. I'm about 30 pounds away from my goal. I just finished 20 weeks of Turbofire and I think ít was definitely a good preparation for Insanity. I've only done the fit test and plyometric cardio circuit but I feel confident that I can complete the program:-)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have 25-30lbs left to lose and am on week 4 of Insanity. The thing with Insanity is yes, it's tough and yes, the people on the vid go hell for leather BUT you go at your pace, you are constantly reminded to watch your form over your speed, know your limits and take a break if you need to.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The first time I did insanity I was 215 lbs. It was hard, but I finished it. The second time I started I was 205. Just keep with it, and go at your own pace. Keep reminding yourself that the people in the video are trained professionals. Try to keep up, but don't go overboard or you will feel let down.
  • hockeyfan87
    hockeyfan87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did it and finished it! :) I was 255lbs when I did it :)
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity, and I don't skip days because, for me, it makes it that much harder to keep up when I get back to it. I'm on week 2 (previously made it to week 3, but hurt myself and had to start over). I'm 53lbs down and have 90 more to go. It's hard, but that's the point. I also scream profanities at Shaun T. during the entire workout, which people on the sidewalk outside my apartment can hear, I'm sure. Whatever. It helps get me through :tongue:
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 and hanging steady at 210 with about 30lbs to go, probably. It's tough and I modify a lot, but doable.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity at that same weight (appx 196). I did it for about three weeks straight (with the appropriate rest days). Listen to your body and adjust as needed.

I feel better knowing (and seeing) those super fit folks on the DVD having to take breaks...

You can do it!! And yes, it will be easier once lighter. :)
  • clairekraw
    Options
    I have about 30 pounds to lose, and I do Insanity. I'm almost finished with my first complete program (yay!), but I still can't do all of the exercises. I think if you do as much of the workout as you can, and you keep moving and modify the things that you need to (for example, I can't do all the jumps...I do some baby jumps instead of the tuck jumps), you'll still see results. It's hard as hell, but my arms and legs are noticeably smaller!

And also, I also just push myself to beat Akeel. He seems to take a lot of rests, so as long as I'm doing better than him, I'm doing fantastic!!! :tongue: