Help! Try to taper off Coca cola

Options
2»

Replies

• justmom44
    justmom44 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Water is the only way to go. I too was addicted to Coca Cola..it's been about four years since I stopped drinking it! YOU will feel so much better once you stop...but you have to just stop cold turkey...or you never will.....Trust me, it's hard...but it's worth it...that stuff is POISON! Good luck to you!! :)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i am more than just a coca cola fan, i am addicted to it. so much to the point that i have an ulcer and massive stomach issues from it. i was drinking a 12 pack to myself in a day.
    Ouch. That's one large amount of both sugar AND acid to ingest...
    after alot of pain, i just gave it up cold turkey. its hard to do so, and i switched to drinking lemon water or tea. i use powder mixes and drink alot of juices which probably isnt really a positive switch but if i can do it you can too. do some major research into the effects on coke to your body,especially diet coke. it helped me alot. i wanna live to see my daughter turn 20....
    Kudos to you - that's a drastic and impressive change! Shows considerable willpower!
  • dwest1976
    dwest1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sweet, Jesus its a fire!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I switched from Mountain Dew a few years back (nearly 10) to Diet Coke. Then about six months ago I switched from Diet Coke to coffee and taught myself to drink it black or with a little creamer. I still need the caffeine fix, and coffee has no appreciable nutritional value or addition.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I use the flavor packets from Crystal Light...I think when I first started not drinking pop I drank diet. Which I didn't love at first, but you get used to it.
    Walmart also has those flavor packets, and there is one that tastes a lot like cherry koolaid.
    Good luck! It's not easy!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of abandoning Diet Dr Pepper. I believe I am addicted to not only the caffeine, but the artificial sweeteners as well. So, I started with cutting back to a can in the morning (It was my coffee) and a can after work. Instead of soda at work, I drink plain water, water with a little Mio flavor (a LITTLE) and home brewed unsweetened iced tea. I can use flavored teas to make it more interesting. 3 days ago, I abandonned it all. No soda. Water, milk or my home made iced tea. That's it. I still kinda want the soda, but I know know KNOW I'll be better off in the long haul. If I can make it unitl mid May, I should have the new routine locked in. But, I'm pretty proud of myself for going 2 whole days already. :-)

You can do it! Find something that works for you and stick with it.
  • sheilatush
    sheilatush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking coke on 15th January and just went cold turkey...and boy I drank at least 6 cans a day ...now I drink at least 2 litres of water a day and herbal teas...what a difference it makes.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Read all the uses for it, like - cleaning the rust off your car's motor.
    I quit cold turkey after learning about how truly venomous the stuff is.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I replaced my diet coke habit with tea mainly. When I really want something sweet I've been having a small glass of orange juice. I haven't figured out what to do about mixers for alcohol. I've just been avoiding the booze for now.

I just find coke such a pointless waste of calories. It doesn't really slake your thirst, it doesn't even really taste of much, mainly just fizz with a background suggestion of flavours. That's why it's so easy to chug the stuff. Evil. I love "curiosity cola" or a billabong root beer though, they are something I really savour and enjoy, if I can find room for them in my calories I will still have the odd bottle. They are too expensive to buy very often anyway.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I fill my water bottle up every morning~ add a packet of crystal light energy strawberry and use that ~ it gives me my caffeine which I need but also just gives me something to keep in my hand at all times as well~ good luck~ coming from a 6 pack of REAL Mountain Dew a day- I understand!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest making a rule that you have to drink a certain number of glasses of water before you can drink your coke. Odds are you'll be so full of water that you'll drink less coke and over time, maybe none. I cut out soda, then juice and now I'm down to 1 cup of green tea in the morning and water the rest of the day.

If plain water isn't a good option for you and you don't want to get used to it, try naturally flavoring water with fruit or mint (google for tons of recipes) or try seltzer. Pomegranate seltzer is good and I get that if I'm on the road without my water bottle and can't find a bottled water I like (Dasani and most others taste funny to me).
  • ksouthards
    Options
    Water and tea. Started out with decaffeinated tea, just brown water really. Now I drink water all day and will have a glass of tea with dinner. After being a die-hard Coke drinker for at least 40 years, the only way I got off it was after I had to have my tonsils and adenoids out. Just didn't taste right - and I didn't force the issue. I too had ulcers starting in my throat and going all the way through my stomach - can't blame it all on Coke, but it sure didn't help. The funny thing is that it really hasn't affected my weight loss. You'd think eliminating all that sugar the pounds would drop off, but guess my body had adjusted.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In Canada, Diet Pepsi is the sweetest of the 0 cal colas. I remember it tasting different in the US, so I'm not sure if that is the case down there or not. I went from Coke, to Diet Pepsi, and now Diet Coke (I now find the Diet Pepsi too sweet). Because I really didn't like the aftertaste I naturally cut back on the amount of soda I was consuming.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try Crystal light mixed with seltzer water so you still get that carbonated sensation.

Life is too short in my opinion so I still have a small regular coke if I want it. But cutting back is pretty easy when you actually want to eat vs, drink your calories :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero, its the bomb!
  • TimFranklin423
    TimFranklin423 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just suck it up and quit.

You want to be not fat, don't you?

I'm sorry, but this ^.
    Why do you let a soda have that kind of control over you to where you can't "quit" drinking them? You either want to quit drinking them, or you don't. If you say its because you're addicted to caffeine, then drink tea or coffee or something. Really no excuse.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've switched to coke zero and after a day or two you don't really notice the difference.