Jillian Michaels sending mixed messages?

Options
kjensen15
kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
Has anyone else read the recent articles about Jillian Michaels saying she is going to adopt babies because she was once overweight and she wouldn't want to do that to her body again? To me this seems to send the the wrong message to women. Just wondered what everyone else thought.

Replies

• HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    I mean it's totally up to her. Her body is her job basically. She is all about fitness. If she isn't fit than she jeopardizes her job. I understand why she wouldn't want to biologically have a baby. And really what does it matter? Children who don't have parents may get a parent. I see nothing bad in her decision.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! She said that?! I need to look for that article!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There was another thread about this - do a search. I read it, but declined to comment. It does have a link to the original article and a quote with her reply. I respect her choice to adopt - being adopted myself, but I think her reasons for not wanting to get pregnant and stating it like that are sending a bad message. Like - pregnant = fat and you can't be fit after pregnancy and those are both incorrect.

Here's the link to the previous post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/92821-jillian-michaels-do-babies-ruin-bodies?hl=jillian+michaels#posts-1282646
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I mean it's totally up to her. Her body is her job basically. She is all about fitness. If she isn't fit than she jeopardizes her job. I understand why she wouldn't want to biologically have a baby. And really what does it matter? Children who don't have parents may get a parent. I see nothing bad in her decision.

I agree that it's totally up to her whether she wants to have children or adopt. I just think that statement goes against everything she says she is trying to teach people or show people. She pretty mcuh said, "Once you have a baby you can't get your old body back." Why would she not want to be an example for all women that have children.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    She was quoted as saying that in an interview with Womens Health, but she released a statement soon after it came out that the words were played wrong. She did say that she didnt want to have babies herself because of what it could do to her body, but that there were underlying health concerns that she deals with that would make pregnancy even harder on her body, so that choice is hers.
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    I saw that article.
    I think it is sad that she said that. I do not think it is bad to adopt children. I just think it's rotten for her to say how bad pregnancy would be for her body. Yes, you gain weight and your hormones go out of whack but the weight can be lost. It's not permanent. I think having my son was the best thing I have ever done. I would never want another women to tell me other. She went down a little in my book after she based pregnancy.
    But again, I have no problem with people who adopt. There are many children who need families that don't have them. I just don't believe in bashing a wonderful thing a women's body does.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Here is a direct quote from her Facebook page

"I appreciate all the support on here and while I know I don't have to justify my position it is necessary to clarify it. I NEVER said I was anti pregnancy or that pregnancy ruins a body. I said that "I can't put my body through it". There are emotional issues and physical LIMITATIONS that have resulted in that conclusion - some I have discussed publicly and some I haven't."
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't really think this is a question of whether adoption is a good choice, because I am certain that most would agree that adoption is a great thing, this is more the context of why she wouldn't become pregnant, because she was once overweight and wouldn't want to be put through that again. I read the article this morning, its in Women's Health. I didn't take much issue with it, but you guys are right, I can't believe she said that.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I responded on the last thread on this (you can read my comments on there)
    In addition to the things I've already mentioned, would any of you buy her products or watch her on BL if she had loose skin or massive stretchmarks? Yeah, plastic surgery could help...but it wouldn't get rid of the stretch marks should she develp any. Her body is what makes her money. Just like Celine Dion and her voice, or Jennifer Anistons hair...it defines that person.
    Also, there are rumors that she swings both ways...it's not possible for her to get pregnant if she is with another woman (unless they do something about it artificially).
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Or there is a posibility that she has a medical anomoly or difficulty that makes it unsafe to have a child--possibly for her or the child?? Her statement on Facebook seems to lean in that direction.
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable!
    who are we to judge her reasons on a matter so personal,
    this was about her and not her audience.