HIIT on Elliptical

Options
Does anyone have any good recommendations for HIIT routines with elliptical/stationary bike at the gym? I have kinda been playing around with some routines. They seem to make my cardio workout more fun but i havent made any set routine. Just change settings as i go.

I need something new to do on my days off road running and/or when i have shin splints too bad to run road or treadmill... basically when im trying to avoid too much strain on my shins.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Set a high resistance, go as fast as you can for 30 seconds then back it off for 30? Set a high incline and do a minute, then back off. Vary in between those two, maybe.
  • TimFranklin423
    TimFranklin423 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to do HIIT on an elliptical a few years ago. I had bad knees and it was a lot easier than the treadmill or bike.

My gym has elliptical that has resistance settings from 1-20. I would basically:

Do 2-3 minute warmup on like a 3 resistance.
    1 minute at a 5 resistance to get used to the "easy speed"
    then 1 minute at a 10 resistance.."hard speed"
    back down to 6 resistance for 45s - 1min, until the handles said my heartrate was back in the 160's or so.
    then 1 minute at a 12 or 13 resistance.
    down to 7 for 1 min...
    up to 14-15 for 1 min
    down to 8 for a minute...
    up to 16 for 1 min
    down to 9 for 1 min...
    up to 18 for a least 2 minutes..or just the absolute longest I could go. My legs would be in agony at this point and it was very hard to keep going, but I would try and "burnout" and leave nothing on the table, so to speak.
    Then back down to a 5 until my heart stopped trying to explode.

Then go for a nice cold swim in the pool, followed by some R&R in the hot tub....ahh.....hmm...maybe I'll do that tonight after work. :)
  • nellyandhernerd
    Options
    I found a few elliptical routines on fitsugar's website:

http://images.teamsugar.com/static/imgs/fit_ellipiticalworkout_final.pdf

My favorites are the time saver and busy body routines. Hope this helps!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sprint 8 on the elliptical or spin bike.

http://youtu.be/zy7j9FRiJpg
  • smiller212003
    smiller212003 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sweet thanks!