What do I plant in May? (In New England)

Options
My husband and I are moving into a new apartment on the seacoast of NH next month and it has a HUGE back deck. I'd like to get some planters (is it ok to use a big plastic tub with holes in the bottom for drainage?) and put them on the deck to plant vegetables in. BUT I don't know what's good to plant in May in New England. Help?

FYI - the easier something is not to kill, the better. :)

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes. Planter gardens are great. You said you have drainage. Put a little gravel in the bottom as well, especially for tomatoes.
    I go to the garden centre about the 2nd or 3rd week in May and buy the flats of started plants (usually about 6" high).
    Don't bother planting from seed where you are. I'm around Toronto BTW.
    Tomatoes, peppers, cukes, herbs...all the plants.
    Have fun.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You can grow potatoes in big plastic tubs. Pretty much anything actually -- I'm getting blueberry bushes & pepper plants for my deck (zone 6) -- mini ones designed for containers. And nastursiums (which you can put in salads) and lettuce. I don't grow tomatos or zuchinni because I can get those from neighbors/workmates who garden & bring in their extras. You can find step by step instructions at: http://containergardening.about.com/od/vegetablesandherbs/a/VegetableContainer101.htm
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    the USDA has a plant hardiness guide that tells what to plant in what areas at what time (I have been using the one for my area which is in the south). as far as containers with drainage holes in bottom i use those for my vegetables while i am putting my flowers in the ground so that i can conserve what space i have for the flowers. the USDA has everything broke down into zones my area covers 3 actually 7A, 7 B and 8A (with 8A being basically closest to me but 7B starting an hour and a half away to the northeast so i can overlap some things