New Workout = Water Retention?

aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So over the weekend, I think I did pretty well. Ate my veggies, stayed within my calories (I think I went over a LITTLE one day) but I did have one glass of wine and ice cream two nights in a row... I'm weighing 2-3 lbs. heavier than when I weighed before the weekend. I started a new strength routine last week (starting like, Wednesday?) and did it the first day, then Friday and Sunday.

I know sugar can make you retain water but I don't think I consumed enough to worry about that... and I know sodium can. I only went over on sodium by a little one day so I don't think it's that. I know alcohol can make you retain water, but one four ounce glass of wine? IF that??

Is it possible that starting the new routine has caused me to retain water? I know your muscles hold water when you first start working out but I've been working out for 4 whole months now... would a new work out cause this?

I know it's just a matter of time...drink my water...eat right, etc. but I just really want to know. If you guys want to look at my diary, go ahead. I need some suggestions, advice, anything! I'm too frustrated to quit but I'm also too frustrated to accept this. I was SUPPOSED to be at my first mini goal weight this weekend and I was ONE pound away. I SHOULD have made it. I'm really upset over this.

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    If it's a new strength training routine that you've added then you probably are retaining water in your muscles.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I'm also guessing your body is holding onto water to help your muscles repair. Do you have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)? Or, if you don't right now, have you in the past few days? I've recently started making it a point NOT to get on the scale when I have DOMS due to a change up in routine because I'm always heavier than I want to be. Once the soreness goes away, back on the scale and I've usually dropped the water weight and then some. I realize it is really frustrating not to hit those mini goals when you think you should, but fat loss doesn't happen in a perfectly linear fashion. There will be some fluctuations and I think it is important for us to remember to be forgiving to our bodies, as hokey as that might sound. You'll get there in no time!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    A new workout can do that! Plus three pounds is exactly what they tell you gets added on with a new workout because of the way your muscles breajdown. I bet in a week you'll see a wonderful drop!!! Something to look forward to.:tongue:
  • aippolito1
    kaitlin - I'm not sure. My left calve has been sore since I started but I figured out Saturday it's because I lift my left leg higher during jumping rope and land on it harder (than my right leg). My left side has always been my dominate side and my left calve has been bigger than my right ever since I started running on the treadmill ... so I don't think it's DOMS.

lculian - That's good to know! Where did you hear/read that?? I've never heard of that.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    arielle - You seem to be doing great with the foods your eating, but one suggestion is your not eating enough protein and some days you have consumed too much fat. (IMO)

You have yourself set up at 50% carb 20% fat and 30% protein.

Last 4 days.
    Thur- Carb 47% - Fat 38% Protein 15%
    Fri-- Carb 44% - Fat 37% Protein 19%
    Sat - Carb 65% - Fat 20% Protein 15%
    Sun - Carb56% - Fat 26% Protein 20%
  • aippolito1
    I usually try to stay within my fat and when I do, I lose weight easily... and have been losing fine with the protein I've been eating. I am set up at 30% but most days, I exercise so much, the protein jumps up a lot and I really can't fit any more protein in. I'm eating protein at each meal.

How are you seeing that I'm eating those exact %s?
  • thumper44
    Eating protein at each meal is important, Should be getting a balanced meal with carb, protein and fat.

I take your daily calorie limit example 1800 calories (with exercise added in).
    Then you calculate calories by how many grams of carbs, protein or fat. Then divide and x 100 to get a %

Carb% = (carbs x 4) / total calories x 100
    Protein % = (protein x 4)/total calories x 100
    Fat % = (fat x 9)/ total calories x 100

EDIT: Example. 1,092 139 32 75 This is what you'v eaten so far today.

1092 calories consumed so far.
    139 grams of carbs x 4 = 556 calories - 556 / 1092 calories x 100 = 51%
    32 grams of fat x 9 = 288 calories - 288/1092 x 100 = 26%
    75 grams of protein x 4 = 300 calories - 300/1092 x 100 = 27%

They don't add up because of some rounding of numbers 556+288+300 = 1144 calories.
  • aippolito1
    I don't really know how to do that... I eat what I know is within my calorie limit and is good for me. I don't go by just protein, carbs and fat. If it has fat in it, okay... but I try to stay within. So far, it's worked for me. I honestly don't think THAT is why I'm retaining water. I've been eating this way the last 4 months and haven't had problems losing weight.
  • thumper44
    I know it's just a matter of time...drink my water...eat right, etc. but I just really want to know. If you guys want to look at my diary, go ahead. I need some suggestions, advice, anything! I'm too frustrated to quit but I'm also too frustrated to accept this. I was SUPPOSED to be at my first mini goal weight this weekend and I was ONE pound away. I SHOULD have made it. I'm really upset over this.

You wanted some advice, and I suggested you need more protein. You don't think you need any help since you've had no problem in the last 4 months. Up to you.

Yes, your sodium, alcohol, and new workout would cause your water retention.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Is there a point that too much water can cause water weight?? Just curious :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.